Panniers

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Panniers

Post by woodsmith »

Pair of new panniers in VX21 and 500D Cordura. 350 wide, 100 deep, approx 300 high fully rolled down. Approx 10 to 13 liters, 320g each

dnrc

Re: Panniers

Post by dnrc »

that's a good effort there

They look great.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Good work, sir. :-bd
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Nice
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

^^^ What he said, 👍.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Fantastic stuff.
Great job :-bd

I always love putting self made gear to use and find how well it works and works and works...
Also always fun to see how much ligther self made gear is.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Thanks for all the kind comments.
I really enjoy the design/problem solving element and I'm learning to be less dissapointed with the finished item as my sewing skills have improved. I do find a great sense of satisfaction when I'm out on the trail and putting my handywork to use.
I must admit my initial motivation for bag making ( I've so far made a Fabios Chest style bar bag, full frame bag, stem bags, seat pack and harness, a front roll harness) was rooted in being skint/tight fisted.
If you haven't tried a bit of MYOG I'd highly recommend it, although be warned, it can be very addictive.
vdubber67

Post by vdubber67 »

Love them - I like how they sit quite high at the rear!
arkay

Post by arkay »

Those are great. I wouldn't know where to begin doing something like that. Did you have previous experience or did you teach yourself/learn it off t'internet?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, I look at these and just think how?

Very jealous of your skills.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

arkay wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:57 am Those are great. I wouldn't know where to begin doing something like that. Did you have previous experience or did you teach yourself/learn it off t'internet?
There's a few "How to" guide on bikepacking.com and a few videos on youtube for making frame and stem bags. The rest was just trial and error. I made mock-ups of these from cereal boxes to check there was no heel strike and see how they looked from a visual point of view. I make some sketches of how I'll orientate the seems, fit straps, velcro etc.
The trickiest bit is remembering to sew everything you want onto each component before sewing them all together to form the bag. That and making a mirrored pair rather than two the same of course.
One thing I have learned is that its easier with a 6mm seam margin than with a 10mm one when it comes to curves and corners.
I also use double sided tape to hold seams in place before sewing. I think the tape may help with waterproofing the seams, in the short term at least.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

They're fantastic. Love the colour too.

Front ones next?
Image Image
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

BobCatMax wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:21 pm They're fantastic. Love the colour too.

Front ones next?
agree they look look. years ago, I made some to fit on blackburn low rider racks. Interestingly with the same weigh& bulk of items spread evenly between 2 4litre front painiers as opposed to being the barbag . The Karrimor barbag did affect steering, especially when propping up the bike say against post or 'n' shaped bike stand. anything in the bar bag would cause the front wheel to turn, and the bike would start to move away from the support & start to fall over..
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..