Wald 139 basket bag, frame bag and gore-tex dungarees

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Martin B

Wald 139 basket bag, frame bag and gore-tex dungarees

Post by Martin B »

I was asked by a work colleague to make him a basket bag for his Wald 139 basket.
It wasn't as difficult as first thought but its the first big project that I've had to design from scratch for someone who was paying for it. Queue a lot of research and measuring and I had the following pieces cut ready for thread injection.
Image20210326_201501 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

the finished product:
Image20210412_152903 by Martin Brown, on Flickr
Image20210412_152915 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

i used 1000d cordura for the base which had 4mm closed cell foam behind it to give items in the bag some protection. The 40mm wide securing strap also doubles as a shoulder strap and there is two extender straps for the lid closure in case the bag is filled to the gunnels and items still need to be held down in place.

the happy customer:
Image20210419_123839 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

He also asked me to make up a frame bag for his cousin;
final-ish design concept on cutting template:
Image20210329_121333 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

main parts cut and webbing/velcro attached
Image20210329_121339 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

liner attached to outer and ready to be unfurled:
Image20210402_203720 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

about to finish the rolltop closure:
Image20210402_204457 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

the final product with velcro straps and liner dividers/tensioners to stop the sides bulging out when packed:
Image20210406_201021 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

it was originally designed to have 3 straps to hold the roll closure shut however i miscalculated the amount of webbing needed and only had enough for 2. as it is with the plastic stiffener that i added to the opening and also the 3 velcro strips to hold the roll top closed 2 straps was more than adequate.

Also a few months ago i had a quest on to find a decent pair of kids waterproof dungarees/salopettes. I either couldn't get what i wanted in the correct size and they cost a fortune or they were cheap as chips but you could shoot peas through them. by chance and on speaking with my mother in law, she had a sewing pattern for a pair of kids dungarees. a quick look at www.profabrics.co.uk and i had bought gore-tex with a super heavy duty face fabric for about £12 a linear metre.

Image20210425_193039 by Martin Brown, on Flickr
the rough end cost is probably about £15 incl elastic and buckles..... bargain. I've got a few adjustments to make for the next pair as the velcro ankle straps are sighted a bit high and the shoulder straps could do with coming in a centimetre or two at the back to help hold them on my daughters shoulders better.

Unfortunately for me and in order to keep me out of trouble, my beloved daughter also spied that the dungaree sewing pattern was a 4 design set and it had a pinafore pattern in it.
Image20210425_193111 by Martin Brown, on Flickr

Almost getting round to making some MYOG kit for myself, but first 2 stemcells, a skirt, a wax cotton satchel project and then my stuff :roll:
belugabob

Re: Wald 139 basket bag, frame bag and gore-tex dungarees

Post by belugabob »

:-bd
trogladytes

Post by trogladytes »

Wow, these are great, i like the use of clips to hold the liner in place :-bd
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

trogladytes wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:26 pm Wow, these are great, i like the use of clips to hold the liner in place :-bd
The clips work great for holding pieces. Other good tips i found were using double sided sticky tape and also temporarily stapling parts together to keep them well aligned for stitching.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Martin B wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 pm
trogladytes wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:26 pm Wow, these are great, i like the use of clips to hold the liner in place :-bd
The clips work great for holding pieces. Other good tips i found were using double sided sticky tape and also temporarily stapling parts together to keep them well aligned for stitching.
I use low tack masking tape.
no gunk. can mark up on it aswell.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

ledburner wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 am
I use low tack masking tape.
[/quote]

I hadn't thought of that one... another useful tip for the tool box
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Martin B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:00 am
ledburner wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:30 am I use low tack masking tape.
I hadn't thought of that one... another useful tip for the tool box
I discovered it recently for MYOG, Toolstation low tack masking tape is cheap lots, (left over after big Dec proj. at home..) https://www.toolstation.com/painting-de ... and=ProDec.
(You don't need expensive Decorator brands like Frogtape or KleenEdge.)
If you're sewing light weight/slippery or 'unstable' textiles like mesh netting it 2 pieces of tape either dose of seam stabilise it.
this is how I put pleats in a mesh pocket on the seat pack..
The end result...
a seat pack expandable mesh pocket for drying things...
Martin B

Post by Martin B »

:-bd
That seat pack looks great. I looked at doing a MYOG seat pack but deemed the amount of work to go in to making a prototype and a final version from scratch and no reference as to sizing to much and ended up buying an ACEPAC holster style one from the BearBones Shop.
That said if i ever need to replace it i'll have a reference point on where to start but that could be a decade from now.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Martin B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 1:44 pm :-bd
That seat pack looks great. I looked at doing a MYOG seat pack but deemed the amount of work to go in to making a prototype and a final version from scratch and no reference as to sizing to much and ended up buying an ACEPAC holster style one from the BearBones Shop.
That said if i ever need to replace it i'll have a reference point on where to start but that could be a decade from now.
Cheers, :-bd it worked out well. If I made another, it have a pvc base, then ditch the rear guard. :grin:
Applying Hot seam- seal tape was a chore. :roll: