Repair advice

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Borderer

Repair advice

Post by Borderer »

Not strictly a MYOG but a repair of a bought item.

A couple of years ago I bought these little stools. They are great actually - very light (260g), pretty small and reasonably comfy. Better than sitting on the ground anyway - they are the ideal height for sitting on while you cook. I just carried them strapped them to my forks with a ball-bungy. Simples. :-bd

I think they are meant for little kids though and sure enough the fabric has begun to tear. So we haven't used them for ages, which seems a shame - what would you suggest I repair them with? My thinking was to replace the black fabric and reuse everything else, including the edging tape. Obviously the thread would need to be pretty strong, but as you can see, it's not actually the thread that has failed but the seat fabric itself.

Both stools have started to fail at the four corners of the seat, so patching it isn't an option.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Repair advice

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd just use whatever fabric I had to hand Bridget - there's not really much load. Same goes for thread, t needn't be anything special.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:36 pm I'd just use whatever fabric I had to hand Bridget - there's not really much load. Same goes for thread, t needn't be anything special.
But why did they rip before then? Neither of us is particularly heavy.... They only lasted one trip I think and I want to find something that will last longer than that if I go to the trouble of repairing them. I have loads of options - lots of bits of this and that around the place I could put to use, I just don't know what to chose for the best.

Would tyvek work? It needs to be something light, very strong and not absorbent.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Borderer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:11 pm Not strictly a MYOG but a repair of a bought item.

A couple of years ago I bought these little stools. They are great actually - very light (260g), pretty small and reasonably comfy. Better than sitting on the ground anyway - they are the ideal height for sitting on while you cook. I just carried them strapped them to my forks with a ball-bungy. Simples. :-bd

I think they are meant for little kids though and sure enough the fabric has begun to tear. So we haven't used them for ages, which seems a shame - what would you suggest I repair them with? My thinking was to replace the black fabric and reuse everything else, including the edging tape. Obviously the thread would need to be pretty strong, but as you can see, it's not actually the thread that has failed but the seat fabric itself.

Both stools have started to fail at the four corners of the seat, so patching it isn't an option.
My guess,, with out seeing them, is the fabric wwas not hemmed at the edges giving it strength. Add the edging tape. Sew around twice a few mm apart.
my guess the edge tape binding takes the strain support the legs as opened up. The black seat bears your (little) weight.
I assume it textile corners are removable under the metal corner plates. They look to thick to be just decorative.
Last edited by ledburner on Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ledburner wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:11 pm My guess,, with out seeing them, is the fabric was not hemmed at the edges giving it strength. Add the edging tape. Sew around twice a few mm apart.
Ah ok, you may well be right there. That's interesting thanks.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Borderer wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 pm
ledburner wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:11 pm My guess,, with out seeing them, is the fabric was not hemmed at the edges giving it strength. Add the edging tape. Sew around twice a few mm apart.
Ah ok, you may well be right there. That's interesting thanks.
I would Hem (the seat fabric) the Edge with tape.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But why did they rip before then?
Because they were £1.99 for 2 from Poundland :wink:

Look at the material. It's a very open weave. If the person making them got the stitching very close to the edge or even missed the edge completely, that stuff just tears apart. In a way, it's not the material that's failed.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

If you're worried about the fabric strength maybe use a double layer (given they look pretty small). Not a seamstress (is there a male equivalent of that word?) but it works for hammocks to up their load capacity. Might also help avoid needing to use a stronger/thicker fabric that might fold badly whilst seat collapsed for transport.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Ooh just thought - someone tw@t has fly-tipped a trampoline in the forest. :roll: I've been gradually bringing bits out with me whenever I go in. Anyway, would you like some of the material sending up? I reckon it'd be spot on for that repair.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:46 am Ooh just thought - someone tw@t has fly-tipped a trampoline in the forest. :roll: I've been gradually bringing bits out with me whenever I go in. Anyway, would you like some of the material sending up? I reckon it'd be spot on for that repair.
I can see it now.

Unfold it,
Sit down
stand up -^
sit down
Stand up-^
sit down
Stand up-^
: :
Walks a way in dispair

You get the idea! :grin: :lol:
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ledburner wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:46 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:46 am Ooh just thought - someone tw@t has fly-tipped a trampoline in the forest. :roll: I've been gradually bringing bits out with me whenever I go in. Anyway, would you like some of the material sending up? I reckon it'd be spot on for that repair.
I can see it now.

Unfold it,
Sit down
stand up -^
sit down
Stand up-^
sit down
Stand up-^
Walks a way in dispair

:lol: :lol:

Yes please Stu :-bd The seats are 18cm square so I need about 50cm by 25cm if a single bit I reckon. Ta muchly. I will message you x
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Borderer wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:22 pm
ledburner wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:46 am
I can see it now.

Unfold it,
Sit down
stand up -^
sit down
Stand up-^
sit down
Stand up-^
Walks a way in dispair

:lol: :lol:

Yes please Stu :-bd The seats are 18cm square so I need about 50cm by 25cm if a single bit I reckon. Ta muchly. I will message you x
Do you need some 60' or 80 thread?
I think your stool is a copy of this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Canyon-S ... 51&sr=8-17
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ledburner wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm Do you need some 60' or 80 thread?
I think your stool is a copy of this? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Grand-Canyon-S ... 51&sr=8-17
I dunno - do I?

That stool is triangular where ours are square. We had very heavy triangular ones when we first started out but it wasn't actually any fun after a day in the saddle to sit in another saddle-shaped thing, so when I replaced them with lighter ones we went for square instead. But they are similar for sure.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Borderer wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:34 pm
ledburner wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 1:05 pm Do you need some 60' or 80 thread?
I dunno - do I?

That stool is triangular where ours are square. We had very heavy triangular ones when we first started out but it wasn't actually any fun after a day in the saddle to sit in another saddle-shaped thing, so when I replaced them with lighter ones we went for square instead. But they are similar for sure.
The thread is bonded nylon, not a faff th tread the machine, a lot thinner than Gutterman button hole thick thread in local Craft store and a lot stronger. It was just a thought..
Yes I got my wires crossed between the 2, stools. I understand your logic.