Fancy feast alcohol stove

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

nagasaki45

Fancy feast alcohol stove

Post by nagasaki45 »

Made myself a DIY alcohol stove today. It's a fancy feast design. Tested it earlier and didn't burn the house :-bd It even boiled some water :grin:

I don't have a proper wick yet, so used a paper towel instead, and some boots surgical spirit as fuel, because this is what I had around. I must say, it worked better than expected and I can see the paper towel going strong for a few more boils. Having said that, I've ordered ceramic wool to replace it with something more permanent. It did smell quite a lot. Guess it's because of the fuel, right? Oh, or maybe it's the inner can that has some white plastic lining. Oops.

Lastly, why am I making this stove? I have no idea. Procrastination probably, and because it looks fun (to DIY and hopefully to use). Will report with actual outdoor experience soon :-)

Cheers,
Tom
The Cumbrian

Re: Fancy feast alcohol stove

Post by The Cumbrian »

That looks great Tom, the Fancee Feast is one of my favourite alcohol stoves.

You might have made yours to a different spec than mine, but the inner on yours seems much higher than mine, which is 15mm. I couldn't be bothered to make one, so I ordered mine from the States though.

There was a thread on Trek Lite about them, including where and what some people used as a wick when they made their own: https://www.trek-lite.com/index.php?thr ... east.6552/

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might have made yours to a different spec than mine, but the inner on yours seems much higher than mine, which is 15mm. I couldn't be bothered to make one, so I ordered mine from the States though.
I too thought it looked high but the flame colour looks well, so I'd assume it's happy. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

There's a YouTube video where the chap made 4 at different heights and tested them, the tallest, 1.25 inches if I remember, was the fastest boil and longest burn.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Impressive. Always interesting to see things tinkered with for the hell of it.

I guess you needed a broom handle to stir it with because of the massive 1.9L pot :grin:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

My thoughts too. I struggle to balance a 600ml cup on my side-burner stoves.
I'm just going outside ...
nagasaki45

Post by nagasaki45 »

Thanks everybody!

Regarding the height. Most videos I've seen suggest 1 inch, and this is what I've done. Yes, there are claims for shorter boiling times for 1.25" inner can but I decided to follow the crowd.
RIP wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:11 pm I guess you needed a broom handle to stir it with because of the massive 1.9L pot :grin:
Haha! This is my girlfriend, helping me not to make too much mess sawing, drilling, and sanding in the middle of the living room :lol:
Plan is to get a ~600ml pot for this stove and keep the 2l pot for 2-3 person adventures (on a cheap canister stove).
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Mine works really well with a 650ml Mytimug and Speedster windshield.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.