Gore jacket (living on)

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Gore jacket (living on)

Post by redefined_cycles »

Not making it myself as such. But I know a man called Dan. He's the man..

Gonna go collect a rezippered Gore jacket just now and I'm looking forward as he does a wonderful jobby... At the same time I'm dropping this Patagonia with the long term loaned (from a BBer... thanks again :grin: ) Rab jacket, so Dan (the man) can resize it and pull the sleeves off. One of which I'll use as a bladder-cosy.

Rates are amazing for the moment but not sure how long he'll keep em low. I like to think I'm helping him tune his skills for when he opens Dans Outdoor Gear Rehousing. He doesn't know it yet but soon I might be contracting him out to resize a (slightly) worn out Apidura. Carbon footprint and all that and the need to have a classic pack for the classic bike.

The jacket will become a gilet (or geelay... but I'm not pronouncing french words properly these days similar to how George renamed the Freedom Fries :o ... mine is in protest to Macron and his muslim hate). Of which I'm still trying to think of an alternate non-french name :lol: Sleeveless-roadpacking* top

Watch this space for my new sleeveless RPing top :smile:

*Would've called it a BPing Sleeveless Warmer... But apparently AlpKit don't approve of calling roadie packing a 'bikepack'... I think :lol:
redefined_cycles

Re: Gore jacket (living on)

Post by redefined_cycles »

NB. A bit about the jacket. Firstly, it's a £150ish affair made of that stuff that helps keep the cold out. Watsitcalled... A softshell, thats it. I bought this beauty (you'll see it soon, I'm sure of it, I'm excited... it's blue :geek: ) about 3 years ago for the handsome sum of £25 inclusive of postage.

It'd had maybe 2 years use already I reckons and it has sleeves that zipper off. At some point in life I think I read (sweary) Dave has one and loves his too. Could be wrong... Anyway, similar to my rehomed (to me, from Colin, maybe about 7 years old now with a new seam at the crotch from my MIL) Endura Singletracks, this here Gore jacket is really tackling the climate change issue and plastic bag-killing turtles (maybe that name needs a restructure).

It's been in my life for about 5000 miles, pit zips have been zippered and unzippered, maybe just short of a thousand times during its lifetime. The material is almost starting to wear down but it's continuing to live on. Soon it'll accompany me on a (2020) BAM but apparently - learnt this off Stu when I bought it I think - softshell doesn't retain heat very well. But that doesn't matter as the resized Patagonia orange jacket should cover that dept.

Pics coming soon, once I've collected from Dan (the man). Or did I already say that. Moral of the story, and I reckon most of us do it here already, keep recyling, composting, donating and rehousing... :-bd