Durafix rods

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

woodsmith

Durafix rods

Post by woodsmith »

Anyone used durafix aluminium welding rods? I fancy having a play and making a minimalist front rack/bag support.
The video makes it look so easy :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1njyuPBIH0
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Durafix rods

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In fairness they do work but as you've guessed, it's not quite as easy as they make it look. Everything will need to be spotless and ground well back to make sure there's no oxidisation on the metal. You'll probably need to preheat the material and try to maintain it. MAP gas / torch may well be required to generate enough heat. As with soldering, the heat in the material should melt the rod, not the torch.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

They do look nice though. Have you used them at all? Looks more like silver soldering to me?

If they are reasonably user friendly then it would be something I'd play with at school. Currently got the ability to braze, MIG, TIG & stick weld steel but nothing great for aluminium.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you used them at all?
Another brand of the same thing.
Looks more like silver soldering to me?
Process is very similar.
Currently got the ability to braze, MIG, TIG & stick weld steel but nothing great for aluminium.
Now you've got me confused :wink:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

A mate became quite proficient at using these (lumiweld in those days but the same thing) for repairing cracks or knackered threads in crank cases. Getting them up to temperature was the challenge as Stu said. Also the melting point of the rods is only slightly lower than certain grades of alloy so it could get a bit scary when you knew that your irreplaceable crank case was on the verge of melting into a puddle. Another mate reckoned alloy mig welding was better if you didn't have a DC tig.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:49 am
Currently got the ability to braze, MIG, TIG & stick weld steel but nothing great for aluminium.
Now you've got me confused :wink:
Ta for the feedback, might buy myself a few rods and have a play.

Only scratch start TIG from a basic set sadly, but it's great... give it a go...
It teaches the kids the importance of a steady hand and how to maintain the weld puddle at the right size. Sadly can't teach it this year, as we'd spend about 55minutes of each hour cleaning the masks and gloves between users ☹️. I suspect that I'm in a pretty small minority as someone who teaches y7 kids (sometimes even y6) to braze, and y9 upwards basic welding...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I suspect that I'm in a pretty small minority as someone who teaches y7 kids (sometimes even y6) to braze, and y9 upwards basic welding...
Probably but more power to you Paul. I'm very fortunate to have grown up in a family of fabricators / engineers and I can't remember not being able to use a drill, grinder, bottles etc. By 10, they'd give me a cutting list, a pile of steel and a tape measure and plonk me in front of a rather nasty big friction saw ... very trusting they were :wink:
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:53 am
I suspect that I'm in a pretty small minority as someone who teaches y7 kids (sometimes even y6) to braze, and y9 upwards basic welding...
Probably but more power to you Paul. I'm very fortunate to have grown up in a family of fabricators / engineers and I can't remember not being able to use a drill, grinder, bottles etc. By 10, they'd give me a cutting list, a pile of steel and a tape measure and plonk me in front of a rather nasty big friction saw ... very trusting they were :wink:
"The problem is, in maths I could only count to 7 on account on the fingers I lost..." :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

"The problem is, in maths I could only count to 7 on account on the fingers I lost..."
Funny you should say that ... written on the guard in scrawly letters was 'this saw eats fingers - I know' :wink: