stem cap map holder

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

stem cap map holder

Post by RIP »

As mentioned in "Postie", after viewing Picton's stem cap map holder thingy I thought "right, that's an improvement on my bar mounted one", so I bought the bracket from Alpkit. Toddled round to our proper hardware shop and obtained a plastic storage box with a lid.

Stored some stuff in the box so that wasn't wasted, then pruned the lid a bit and added some notches for elastic map retainers. The clever (ish) bit - the lid has ridges so is much more rigid than a plain chopping board for example. Very light too.

Drill some holes, add some washers, attach to bracket. Borrow some elastic from a pair of Mrs Perrin's bloomers and fix round notches.

All the while, Panda watches the proceedings. (Sean: note his face mask. I'm quite concerned that Ralph doesn't have one).

Insert map, and we're all done. Handles vertical and horizontally orientated maps, four (as here) or two sections visible. Experimentation will show the effects of wind at 30mph downhill I'm sure. Still plenty of room for bag(s) mounted on gaffer tape bar harness.

No maps? What's wrong with you? Could alternatively be used as a pub/cafe menu holder to peruse as you journey towards it I suppose.

The only downside is no gaffer tape or cable ties were used in the making of this MYOG :sad: .

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
benp1

Re: stem cap map holder

Post by benp1 »

very heath robinson Reg. At least it looks made and not pilfered from a tourist information centre like your previous one :lol:

With enough speed you might even get a bit of front end lift
RIP

Post by RIP »

benp1 wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:46 pm very heath robinson Reg. At least it looks made and not pilfered from a tourist information centre like your previous one :lol:
:lol:
With enough speed you might even get a bit of front end lift
Had considered that yes. Need to think about the effect on my wheelies or I could end up looking (even more) stupid in front of da kidz.

Still feeling a bit uneasy about the lack of gaffer tape involvement. Might go and stick a gratuitous bit on for the look of the thing.

I wonder if you could lend me your fantastic new A0 wall map? I'd like to see if it could handle that.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Wow, that's quite a size :o good work though.

That's quite an area of map you can see, you're either going very fast or plan a long way agead :lol:

As for Ralph's mask, I'll get on to that :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:29 pm Wow, that's quite a size :o good work though.

That's quite an area of map you can see, you're either going very fast or plan a long way agead :lol:

As for Ralph's mask, I'll get on to that :roll:
Mm. Probably end up pruning more off it in the light of experience.

Just like to keep an eye on the big picture :smile: .

Got a lightweight clear binliner that easily slides over the top, to preempt anyone reminding me that Reg is The Rain Man :wink: .

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:49 pm Got a lightweight clear binliner that easily slides over the top, to preempt anyone reminding me that Reg is The Rain Man :wink: .
I assumed you've have the laminated maps so they could double-up as a groundsheet or micro tarp :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Naturally :-bd . Unfortunately I don't think the OS real-world testers of the Active maps actually tested them in real-world Wales!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely work there Reg. If only more people dangled a map from their bike rather than a mug ...... :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Nice one Reg :-bd
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

little label on it: "inspired by Pickers", so thanks to you mate :smile:

belugabob

Post by belugabob »

And, as an added 'Brucie bonus' you could do "The knowledge" and earn a few extra bob...
RIP

Post by RIP »

:-bd