Recommended MYOG stove?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Owen

Recommended MYOG stove?

Post by Owen »

What's the best MYOG stove then?

Oh right, that's a bit vague isn't it, try again.

I've got some "normal" drink cans, some tonic cans, and a couple of Budweiser aluminium bottles somewhere, and I'm looking for some inspiration. I'd like to have a go at making a sideburner for a 600ml mug, pretty much for brewing up tea/coffee, possibly hot water for some noodles. Mid-ride/long day out rather than extended bikepacking, so super efficiency isn't a high priority. Oh, doesn't have to be a sideburner either.

Any ideas, hints or tips welcome!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Recommended MYOG stove?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

A double wall side burner made from Pepsi cans (they're the best) is reasonably easy to make and will work very well. When people make stoves, it's usually the jet holes that let them down as they often make them too big. Either use the tip if a drawing pin (carefully) or a 1mm drill.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Assuming it's the Alpkit mug or similar diameter then the standard beer/pop can dual wall sideburner stove is fine, about the right diameter and is very stable. I think I used a sewing pin ( the little ones with a plastic ball on the end used to hold hems when sewing) to make the holes in mine, basically anything that makes as small a hole as possible like Stu says.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

My go to stove is here :-

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=13758&p=169745#p169745

Made from a cat food can with a sawn-off aluminium Budweiser bottle inside. Plans gleaned from the internet.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

The simplest is definitely side-burning pop can stove and there are millions of ways to do this. As someone noted above, they are really stable and fit a 600ml mug very well.

But if you have two aluminum bottles and you feel like a bit of a project, watch the video below. I followed these instructions and made a couple of dozen of these. Some worked better than others. The hardest bit was ensuring you got a nice even rolled top and being careful not to overdo it on the size of the jet holes. I made a few proper flamethrowers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=us7AeG7OEY4
I'm just going outside ...
Owen

Post by Owen »

Thanks for the tips and recommendations, pretty miserable weekend looming so will give me something to do :-bd
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Zen Stoves http://zenstoves.net/LinksGeneral-DIY.h ... oholStoves has a whole heap of options, i find the Pika stove with some ceramic wadding wick to be very reliable.

http://users.sisqtel.net/~losthiker/pikastove/
Never knowingly under biked...