Downtube Pole Bag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Downtube Pole Bag

Post by FLV »

So, a quick go at making a pole bag to mount on the underside of my frame. Faffing around with seat packs and bar bags, the pole pokes things and generally looks like its going to get bent or wear through my dry bag. So I had an idea, dug out a pair of restrap rubberised straps I already had and got to work.

An hour and a half ish later, small bag.

Molle web (poor job fixing this on) to put the straps through and prevent slipping a bit (no, they are not evenly spaced, I rough is fine)
Rubberised bit on the back (fabric branded bar tape finisher, stuck and stitched in place). Stitching rubberised stuff is hard, it doesnt feed into the machine so the stitch went wonky whilst I faffed

Simple fold top, but, the whole bag is about 15mm too short (who measured that!! :lol: ) but does work.
Its a 'snug' fit for the pole so may be a little specific...

I think it will work no probs, but I wonder about rock strikes.
(I have checked the fork mudgaurd clearance )

Here it is.

x pac is overkill for sure, the molle could have been something less webbing based.
Pointless ? Fairly, but its all good fun and I learn everytime I make anything :-bd

p.s. Turning it rightway out after was a pain in the arse.
thenorthwind

Re: Downtube Pole Bag

Post by thenorthwind »

Seems like a good job and worthwhile to me.

Better than an exposed pole. I keep mine in my frame bag, which has loops at the top to hold it out the way, but obviously that's not an option for you full-sus.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thanks,
Yes, inside a frame bag is generally my first choice. I do have a frame bag, which kind of fits. But I want to use a bottle cage in this instance.
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Bit of a long-winded way to boast about buying a Santa Cruz isn't it Dave? :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:26 pm Bit of a long-winded way to boast about buying a Santa Cruz isn't it Dave? :lol:
:oops:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:grin: well done on the Santa Cruz (and rhe frame bag) Dave... what is it (the SC)? Look forward to whenever you come round to selling it and I'll start saving up now
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

For rubberised material you can get a roller presser foot for your machine so it will feed OK.

Also, I avoid sewing adhesive material, the glue sticks to the thread as you sew it and can be a pain/cause issues.

Nice work though. As for the 15mm short, I've just made a pole bag and it's exactly the right size for my pole... but if I'd made it 20mm longer it could also be used with my other pole, so if I want to carry the longer pole I'll have to make another bag :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:34 pm For rubberised material you can get a roller presser foot for your machine so it will feed OK.

Also, I avoid sewing adhesive material, the glue sticks to the thread as you sew it and can be a pain/cause issues.

Nice work though. As for the 15mm short, I've just made a pole bag and it's exactly the right size for my pole... but if I'd made it 20mm longer it could also be used with my other pole, so if I want to carry the longer pole I'll have to make another bag :roll:
Excellent info thanks.

Mine works fine, just looks short due to where I put the velcro. I've not checked against my other pole... But I suspect similar :grin:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Thought about this but using an old inner tube - would that work?
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

slarge wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:30 pm Thought about this but using an old inner tube - would that work?
Should do - fold over one end and superglue it, cut a hole in the other end so you end up with a flap and a strap that you can fold back over itself to close it. Just have a couple of pairs of slits reinforced with puncture patches to allow you to put straps through....
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

I just strap mine to the top tube, with Velcro straps, alongside the top straps of my framebag.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

belugabob wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:06 pm I just strap mine to the top tube, with Velcro straps, alongside the top straps of my framebag.
Same here, except I use ball bungees. I wouldn't dream of putting something as important as a tent pole under the frame like the OP has done. You could easily lose it and not notice for 20 miles.
FLV

Post by FLV »

If its attached properly, it wont fall off.

And... it didnt. It happily sat there, clean in its bag for about 170km of off road rattling bike dragging and river forging. Zero issues.

The bag was filthy, so id probably hide it behind a crud catcher if i was to use it again, but oddly, my set up never seems to be quite the same twice in a row lately.

:-bd

For what its worth, top tube was first choice but didnt work on this bike, for me.
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

FLV wrote: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:41 am If its attached properly, it wont fall off.

And... it didnt. It happily sat there, clean in its bag for about 170km of off road rattling bike dragging and river forging. Zero issues.

The bag was filthy, so id probably hide it behind a crud catcher if i was to use it again, but oddly, my set up never seems to be quite the same twice in a row lately.

For what its worth, top tube was first choice but didnt work on this bike, for me.
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

good work, looks great!