Off Cuts

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Off Cuts

Post by Boab »

Just wondering if anyone had some off cuts of Climashield Apex insulation and lightweight fabric I could have?

I fancy having a go at making my own quilt, but am not sure my wife's sewing machine is up to the job. My Mum, Sister and Sister-in-law all have proper beefy machines, so if ours isn't good enough then I at least have options. Would just like some off cuts to have a practice on, before I splurge on buying all the necessary bits.

Also, if any of the places doing the fancy lightweight fabrics do off cut bundles for practising on etc, then a link to what I should be buying would be appreciated.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
oreocereus

Re: Off Cuts

Post by oreocereus »

Extremtextil and AdventureExpert both list offcuts on their site - they’re the only EU stockists of apex.

Neither had any online when I made my quilt - but I emailed both to ask anyway. AE checked their stock and found some pieces that suited (one was 2.1m long, so enough for my partners quilt - and surely too long to genuinely call an offcut!) and gave me a little discount on the shell fabric. A+ Service over a few transactions.
Boab

Post by Boab »

oreocereus wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:16 pm Extremtextil and AdventureExpert both list offcuts on their site - they’re the only EU stockists of apex.
I'm obviously not looking hard enough... 🙄
I'll fire them both an email and see what they say.

Thanks!
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Good luck. I’ve also managed to get some left over fabrics by posting wanted ads (like this one) here and on trek-lite and other lightweight hiking/biking groups where folks are inclined to make their own gears.
shutuplegs

Post by shutuplegs »

I’ve got a strip of apex 100 if that’s any use?

It’s about 10cm x 100cm. Not sure what I was keeping it for...
“We live and learn, and big mountains are stern teachers” - HW Tilman.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

From my experience a walking foot made most difference rather than bulkiness of a machine, although walking feet are hardly cheap. The feet lift up as the fabric is pulled though the machine then stamp back down, similar to a walk, so the slippy fabric and fluffy insulation do not bunch and jam.

It's all lightweight fabric so any old sewing machine should be able to sew through it, opposite to frame bags with layers of abrasion resistant webbing and possibly cordura.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I had to go and google what a walking foot was!