Mobile modular sleep system

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benconnolli

Mobile modular sleep system

Post by benconnolli »

This was mainly a project that I could sink plenty of daydream time into intricate niche specifications but it turns out to be surprisingly practical and may even be useful!

The inspiration for this was the fear of getting out of the sleeping bag/quilt in the middle of night to go for a wee. Hence battling the urge for many uncomfortable minutes before giving in, the need never just goes away. I wanted to be able to go for a wander in my sleeping insulation. I came up with a half bag/skirt combined with down jacket as the solution. Found an offcut of climashield apex on AdventurExpert that was too small to make a quilt out of, but ideal for me, some 10d fabric seconds and my materials were in the basket for under £20 with my tarp kit already committing the postage cost.

I am aware that this plan becomes miserable in the rain, but pretend that it doesn't rain and everything is fine. I can always still take it off in that situation and I am back to where I started.

Order of sewing is;
Elastic tubes by folding over outer fabric
Sew pre stretched elastic to the pocket in a zig zag stitch
Sew pocket onto outer fabric with the top closer together than the bottom to accommodate the elastic pinch.
Sew three sides of the skirt. For it to be right inside out the fabric went outer inner insulation with the outside sides of the fabric facing each other. I used a walking foot because of the combination of slippy fabric and puffy insulation. Used tiny fabric clips to keep everything in place.
Turn it correct side out
Fold over final seam inside itself and sew as close to the edge as possible.
I should have considered the poppers before joining it together so they are more exposed than they need to be but function all the same.
Made some quilting lines just freehand to keep everything in place.
Posted the round elastic through the tubes.
Tidy up loose threads.

As a skirt I am perfectly capable of wandering around in to cook "breakfast in bed". Notice the bits and bobs pocket.

Comes in at a floaty 140+-10g plus jacket. Not bad for £20 and many hours of guided daydreaming.

The tiny foot blanket drapes well enough. Some improvised quilting lines to keep insulation in approximate place. Adding to the multi use you can stuff it up your jumper for extra insulation when on the bike.

I slept out last night at 12 degrees in a lightweight bivi bag and was a comfortable temperature. Would also work in conjunction with conventional insulation systems to boost their rating and take the edge of late night wanders. Pleased with how easy it is to wander around in thanks to the elastic.
ledburner

Re: Mobile modular sleep system

Post by ledburner »

Interesting idea. Hope it works for you. I'm a wrighle so it would be in bits all round the bivvi spot.. 🙄
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I've ended up using it to extend other sleep systems, rather than on its own. Do appreciate being warmer bumbling around before bed so pleased with it.

The skirt is elasticated so moves around well with me. Admittedly I couldn't starfish, but not as if you could do that in a sleeping bag either. The rectangle is no use for sleeping, but turns out socks work well. I've found it mildly beneficial to shove the rectangle up my top, but then actual clothes work better on that front. Gotta risk it for the biscuit still.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Just take a plastic bottle to pee in, once ‘filled’ it can then be chucked in the bottom of the bag to keep your feet warm :lol:
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Nicely done :-bd

I messed about with an Alpkit PD200 Pied D’elephant years ago but didn’t stick with it.