How to glue this, to this?

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

How to glue this, to this?

Post by redefined_cycles »

Maybe not the right place for it (MYOG:Make your own gear), but any ideas...

Its the waterproof material same/similar to the Apidura waterproof packs. And need to glue/join it to the steel (italian Columbus I'll have you know... built by a very posh man that hardly smiles, I'll have you know) top tube.

Been using velcro previously but that doesn't last too long and have decided to go all out. Just don't wanna end ip with a mess of bag and frame...

Mind the background wallpaper... Not sure who on earth would put that there...
Ray Young

Re: How to glue this, to this?

Post by Ray Young »

Seems a bit of a drastic measure, I wouldn't be glueing anything to a bike like that. There must be a better.
redefined_cycles

Ray Young wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:38 pm Seems a bit of a drastic measure, I wouldn't be glueing anything to a bike like that. There must be a better.
Ray... I've put lots of thought into it and I reckon they've played together for long enough that I reckon they will live happily ever after. It was called Legend by Bertoletti but I've renamed it Egen :grin: so they shouldn't find too much.

Besides, on earlier experimentation I've cut away the strap gaps underneath the welded bag so it'll only be going to waste otherwise :-bd

Egen by Bertoletti (wonder what 'The Legend' would feel about that :lol: ... I'm second or 3rd owner btw so only paid about £400 from the (dishonest) fleabay seller. Can confirm that its an overengineered beauty and also that it rides absolutely lovely... Best of all, it fits plus (road) sized tires...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

A permanent solution would be to tap some water bottle mounts into the tube then bolt the bag on. Plastic washers would probably stop water ingress. Other than that I'd be trying different bags first.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

What about double sided tape, easier to remove than glue.
redefined_cycles

Good point. But the water ingress thing is a pertinent one for me. Have been using that bag for over a year now and its been through torrentials many a time. Don't wanna risk the waterproof on it as I keep my electricals in there sometimes as an emwgency bag. Hence won't be cutting/making holes in it at the mo.

One way that might increase the options (as well as protect the frame) of stickability would be to add some helicopter (different brand but its really good and doenst discolour) tape to the TT.

Haven't paintwd over the logo (LEGEND) btw... Its just electrical tape so paints still undisturbed (from me)...
redefined_cycles

Ray Young wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:53 pm What about double sided tape, easier to remove than glue.
Hmmm.. The standard stuff doesn't seem to fare well on this material (the welded waterproof bag). It was the 3m stuff also that I've been using before (as mushroom velcro with VHB - very high bond) but over time the weather just makes it fall apart...

Thanks btw :-bd

I think I've tried the hot glue gun with original (loctite) in there which doesn't adgere to the bag either...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Velcro strip. Half stuck to bag, t'other stuck to frame. Allows a bit of flexibility and means you don't always have a shriveled scrotum of a TT bag in your sight line. Plus, when the zip goes, it'll require less drastic measures to replace.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You could try some McNett Seam Seal to stick velcro to it. That might do the trick.

I can't say I'm overly keen on the idea of gluing it to the frame either. Anything that works well will be a bastard to remove. .
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

How about several strong( Neoddymium ?) inside the bag to trap the bag twixt magnet and frame.
redefined_cycles

woodsmith wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:03 pm How about several strong( Neoddymium ?) inside the bag to trap the bag twixt magnet and frame.
You bloomin genius you.

Thanks a bakers dozen (is that the bigger dozen?).

Neodiddium... wonder what sort of magnet that is he thinks to himself. Sounds like I'll not be storing keys in there then...

Got a link?
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Sounds like I'll not be storing keys in there then...
The magnets might stop them rattling about. Win/win. Maybe best to keep your bank cards somewhere else though?
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Found these. Haven't any personal experience with these particular ones

. https://www.first4magnets.com/circular- ... 4#t55:t137

The magnets out of out hard drives are super strong and very thin too.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Colin... :-bd

Cheeky Monkey
shrivelled scrotum of a tt bag
:lol: how dare you... Its the finest Crikey, how much grade (idea potentially nicked from Apidura) of loveliness I'll have you know :smile:
redefined_cycles

For refrence... If I'd have known of the neodidium (whatever its written as) I could've maybe gottne away by atttaching them beneath the straps (1 you can see, the others were cut off over the years/years)...

(Last couple of 3m VHB mushroom velcro strips just removed by peeling away... no residue)
redefined_cycles

Woodsmith, 'Crikey How Much' = R.a.P.h.@
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Magnets, genius solution, :-bd
UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Magnets? I wouldn’t be putting your phone in there
redefined_cycles

UnderTheRadars wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:43 pm Magnets? I wouldn’t be putting your phone in there
Would be a rather fine experiment would it not... :-bd thanks for the heads up...
slarge

Post by slarge »

silicon bathroom sealant - in black obviously. If you really want to it will come off, but most of the time it will be solid. Won't damage the paint either
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My only words on the subject are - Shaf, you know what you're like for changing your mind :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:14 pm My only words on the subject are - Shaf, you know what you're like for changing your mind :wink:
Hmmm... I prefer to look at it as 'seeking out the best'and boldy go where noone has gone before..

I take your point and will stick (no pun) to the magnets.

For reference of what stuart says... I have had my Sonder Transmitter for (since) 2018 now. Admittedly it took about a year to accumulate and build. The steely I have now had for about a year and I had a carbon bike for 5000 miles :-bd

Besides... Crikey, how much is for life, not just for eid :smile:
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Others have said it, but just for the avoidance of doubt you want to keep your electrical kit dry and also to attach it to the frame with very strong magnets? :o
redefined_cycles

johnnystorm wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:53 pm Others have said it, but just for the avoidance of doubt you want to keep your electrical kit dry and also to attach it to the frame with very strong magnets? :o
Yeah... I suppose its not working out is it... Wheres that silicone gun... Thanks for saying it once again