Bob Trailer dog bed

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sarah

Bob Trailer dog bed

Post by Sarah »

Hi folks

I have brought a [used] Bob Trailer to use with my dog when we are on roads or are doing too many miles for her to run. I know they are not optinal, but I have towed kiddie trailers and tag alongs [fun on single track, little kids love it] and she will go in a 2 wheel trailer. It fits my gravel, but I think the 29 will be a tad tight.

Has anyone used a trailer for their dog ? I am going to sew a dog 'bed' to protect and hold her when she is riding, wondered if you had any suggestions or features to share ?

Thanks

Sarah and Luna
Sarah
Boab

Re: Bob Trailer dog bed

Post by Boab »

I can't answer your question, as I have neither a dog, not a trailer. However, on yesterday's ride, while attempting to set a PR on a bridleway, I had to slow down as a load of yappy little dogs were all over the place. They were followed by a couple on hybrids both towing small trailers. As they were too old to be carrying children, I assume the trailers were for the dogs, they didn't appear to have beds or anything else in them.
Last edited by Boab on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

Hahaha. Slow down and enjoy the ride.

Luna is neither yappy nor out of control, well most of the time. We have done plenty of obedience work.

I am just looking to extend our outings.
Sarah
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

As long as the dog sits quietly, the BoB will be fine. If however they are 'active' you will find the loaded trailer acts negatively upon the bike. As well as maintaining balance for the trail conditions, you will also constantly be adjusting balance for the trailer inputs.

A real life case of the 'tail wagging the dog'.
Last edited by mfezela on Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I came across a bloke in Scotland towing a 2 wheeed trailer that had a black lab in. Dog seemed quite happy about it.

I think if I were making a bed, then my main consideration would be to perhaps make it waterproof.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

mfezela wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:39 am As long as the dog sits quietly, the BoB will be fine. If however they are 'active' you will find the loaded trailer acts negatively upon the bike. As well as maintaining balance for the trail conditions, you will also constantly be adjusting balance for the trailer inputs.

A real life case of the 'tail wagging the dog'.
Bit like having kids on a tag along. One minute it is swaying side to side as they are looking around and chatting, the next you are off like a rocket as they decide to pedal. Happy memories.
Sarah
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Check out this link then click on John Freeman at the start of the text as it brings up more info.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... lg0ZnoGB-R
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I used to trailer my 14kg dog to places when she was too old to travel any distance. I tried a BoB but found it a bit too narrow for her to be comfortable and was worried about stability. A Bob is a fantastic trailer with the load low down but I worried if she sat up the centre of gravity would be too high. I settled on a Halfords single child buggy in the end, Obviously your dogs temperament and weight will be different. You are welcome to borrow the Bob, as it has the 29er forks, if anywhere near Reading way

Here are a couple of pics. If only for the "wtf have you done to me now" expression.....
Attachments
Sky Bob trailer.JPG
(43.33 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Last edited by wriggles on Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

2nd pic.....

Sky trailer.JPG
(49.54 KiB) Downloaded 577 times
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

For my Beagle, so much smaller than yours, I stripped everything off of a kiddie trailer, and then made a thin ply platform which I attached a dog crate to. The Mrs made a nylon cover with ends that rolled up and he was happy as Larry! It made the whole thing a touch heavier, but he is only 15kg, so not a huge problem.

It also meant I knew he wasn't going to do anything rash, like leap out at the lights or the first smell of food!
Sarah

Post by Sarah »

I made a bed, she has done well in it. Tied in tho, but I won't be riding any single track with her loaded.

Now if I can just find a longer fork or get mine adapted to fit my 29" Ogre. Gravel bike is fine for now. Loving the new opportunities.
Sarah