New Hammock

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

New Hammock

Post by whitestone »

The other week I got five metres of 1.5m wide ripstop nylon from extremtextil in that there Germany, roughly £5.25 a metre. After a bit of figuring things out I decided that I'd try a 3.3m (11ft) hammock. I say "I", my wife has been doing sewing classes and has some fancy looking and expensive kit so she'd be doing the actual sewing. A trip into town to get some Guterman polyester thread - "Will thirty metres be enough?", "Dunno", " :roll: OK, ta :roll: " and we were good to go. Most of the time was getting the hems sorted on the long edges. The actual stitching was thirty minutes tops.

Also arrived on Saturday was a set of tree straps from Hengehammocks - a bit on the quick side as the estimated delivery was for this coming Friday!

There's a sewn channel at either end and I lark's footed an amsteel Evo loop into each of these (an Evo loop is like a continuous loop but with a button knot at one end). I'd also made a couple of amsteel soft shackles to use instead of carabiners at the tree end of the straps. The connection between straps and hammock is via a continuous loop fixed to the strap via a Lark's Foot and Beckett Hitch and which then pushes through the evo loop and back round the knot. I did take a shot but it was blurred.

The hammock isn't particularly light at 400g but it's a first go and it's unlikely to be toted around. The tree straps are 30g each and the five metres of amsteel comes to a whopping 10g. We were going to make a stuff bag for it but looking around I came across one that I've no idea what it came off so appropriated that, cut a hole in the bottom to be able to poke the suspension through then taped the edges - you can see that at the RH side of the hammock in the shot below.

Much comfier for me than the 2.7m Exped hammock. The only problem is that my Alpkit Rig7 tarp is too short in A-frame configuration so when it stops blowing a hoolie I'll spend some time checking out asym or diamond setups.

Total cost of material: £18.30 plus £9 for the straps and £5 for the amsteel.

We did have both set up on Saturday night whilst drinking beer :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Zippy

Re: New Hammock

Post by Zippy »

Is this a self made design Bob, or what did you base it all on? Photos/details of the connection points would be interesting. :geek:
whitestone

Re: New Hammock

Post by whitestone »

Zippy wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:45 am Is this a self made design Bob, or what did you base it all on? Photos/details of the connection points would be interesting. :geek:
No, I took the basic details from the MYO chapter in The Ultimate Hang. Basically a 1.5m (or 1.6m if you can get it) wide piece of material 3.5m long. Double hem both long edges. For the ends, make a 25mm fold as if you were making a hem but don't stitch it then fold again at 75mm and just run three lengths of stitching along that 25mm strip. This gives you a 50mm channel through which you pass an Amsteel continuous loop which you then Lark's Foot around the hammock end so there's little or no movement to cause fraying. That continuous loop then becomes your attachment point for the rest of the suspension. You end up with a 3.3m (11ft) hammock.

I'll get some shots of the ends next time I've put it up.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry