Framebag design for this

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Framebag design for this

Post by redefined_cycles »

Seems like I have 3 (sort of) triangles to work with. The top hole is probably a bit small and pointless to have a bag made for it. Although I had originally intended to ask Stu if he could come up with summat in DCF he might still have lying about spare. I'd imagine he'll probably say that its an exercise in pointlessness...

Without further ado, heres the frame triangle I'm planning to try build a bag for. Am thinking I should be able to get away with 2 bags but worried the shock might not be able to compress properly... Thoughts, suggestions and past experience with single pivot BPing bags (other way round but you know what I mean) most appreciated...

Am also thinking I really might need to utilise the underneath of the downtube to try and get something similar to one of them beerBabe type bags seated there...

Thanks in advance
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Framebag design for this

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You would get a bag below the shock Shaf but personally, I'd look at ways of gaining a little* more capacity somewhere else or, take the opportunity to fully embrace the TLS ethos :wink:

*that's all you'll get with a frame bag.
May the bridges you burn light your way
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

If you turn the shock over, so the pro-pedal lever is facing up not down then you might fit a bag on some kind of cage on the downtube? Clearance with the top tube looks tight though.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu... so, you personally don't think its a big enough area to bother with a framebag there...

TLS sounds appealing and utilising the bars and saddle packs with a backpack for hydration sounds reasonable...

Only reason am thinking of framebag is that I've grown fomd of carrying water on the bike and think i might be able squeeze 2 litres there... :smile:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

What's the frame made of Shaf? If Aluminium you could fit a set of three Rivnuts under the down tube and fit an anything cage there. But be wary of how much the front wheel moves towards the downtube under compression.

Other than that I think a frame bag will be an exercise in cost and frustration. Maybe have a look at fitting a top tube bag in there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

You'd want to let all of the air out of that shock and fully compress the suspension in order to see just how much room you have. I suspect not very much.
redefined_cycles

whitestone wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:12 am What's the frame made of Shaf? If Aluminium you could fit a set of three Rivnuts under the down tube and fit an anything cage there. But be wary of how much the front wheel moves towards the downtube under compression.

Other than that I think a frame bag will be an exercise in cost and frustration. Maybe have a look at fitting a top tube bag in there.
Thats very smart... Thanks Bob. I wonder which topTube bags have some decent large capacity over 1.5L :???:

Might not drill any holes for rivnuts though Bob (for the mo) as am treating it as something that I can log on to Retro bike with in a few years. Certainly looks retro now :-bd

Colin, thanks for that tip. I actually thought of that this am whilst thinking how to assess for capacities (in case I could fit a small bag in there with tools and fit/forget)...
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Will you need to be able to access the shock lock-out? If the bag extends down past the shock then will the top have to be secured to the shock body? I made mine to only fill the area above the shock and it's big enough for a pump/tube/multi-tool and some quick-links. Your frame looks like that part might be smaller than the same area on the Spearfish so the bag would be very small?

Image[/url]
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

You could likely fit a small custom bag, or something like a 1.1L wolftooth bag. Not sure you'd get a bladder bag in there
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

The RP23 functions perfectly well, inverted and rotated. You may need to swap over the eyelet bushings. Easy to do.
A benefit of this new position for me is that rotating the lockout lever clockwise has the same action as on my fork. Clockwise = Lock, Anticlockwise = Unlock.
RP23.jpg
(78.93 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
redefined_cycles

mfezela wrote: Mon Jun 22, 2020 4:28 pm The RP23 functions perfectly well, inverted and rotated. You may need to swap over the eyelet bushings. Easy to do.
A benefit of this new position for me is that rotating the lockout lever clockwise has the same action as on my fork. Clockwise = Lock, Anticlockwise = Unlock.

RP23.jpg
Smart thinking... thanks :-bd
Cheddar Man

Post by Cheddar Man »

Just buy a bigger Camelbak.