chris n

Re: Lock-down projects

Post by chris n »

petemaz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 pm That really helpful, many thanks
:-bd
chris n

Post by chris n »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:06 pm Will hopefully replace the stupid electric roller door with insulated steel barn doors at some point.
I replaced my one of my shagged up-and-over doors with insulated barn doors. So much easier to get in an out, and warmer too.
thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:06 pm Can I ask where you got the flooring from please? Was loathe to buy expanded foam flooring but it does seem like a practical option. PVC isn't a commonly recycled plastic so finding a use for that sounds like a win. Or do you mean they were PVC tiles that you've re-used from somewhere else, rather than made from recycle PVC?
They're interlocking tiles made from recycled PVC - I bought mine from Duramat. Worked out I needed 95 tiles and got a deal on a 96 tile pack. Fortunately I didn't screw anything up too badly.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

petemaz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:44 pm
chris n wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:27 pm
petemaz wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:51 pm chris n - can I ask if you removed the asbestos roofing yourself, if so how did you get on? I have a similar job for our garage in the spring. I'm also trying to decide if I should insulate or not! thanks
Was easy enough once I'd worked out how to remove the fixings to take them off the roof myself - was a little tricky as the sheets were 40kg each and 1 m x 2.7 m and I had 11 of them to get rid of) - then double wrapped them in heavy gauge plastic sheet for disposal. I paid a waste disposal contractor to collect and take them to a proper site for me but your local tip may accept them. Wear a mask, obviously. Whether you wear overalls etc, is up to you...

Insulating makes a huge difference inside and I'd definitely recommend it. I used 50mm PIR boards for the ceiling and stud wall, and 40mm foil blanket for the brick/stone walls. You need to be careful about how much space it takes up inside (the walls are effectively 100 mm thicker now), but any insulation is better than none I reckon.
That really helpful, many thanks
Not quite so well insulated, but when the garage roof was starting to leak. They put modern roofing sheet over the cement /corregated roof. A little warmer +2° but no condensation on a concrete section garage..
No disposal costs until it was torn down sold for a huge extension.. +100k later

The best type of shed.. Yorkshire stone faces, with mullions... I think they're called?

My man cave has needle feed industrial sewing mc and a washing machine. 1950s domestic bliss.... Router d all tools not going in cellar....
I have control of all electric & WiFi etc... :oops: :mrgreen:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
FLV

Post by FLV »

My garage tidy project is just starting, basically its begun with mild tidy sessions, to be followed with selling. Next will be racking for a family of 5s worth of bikes...
Ive got pedal hangers at hhe moment bit think ill switch to wheel hangers.
Possibly a scaffold pole with 2 lengths of buthers hooks so the bikes can be slid along the length of the garage.
Then custom workbenches and tool storage.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

I've Repositioned Steadyrack in utility/laundry/bike room. My beloved perfected the knack of catching the F/wheel valve every time she tried to lift it up the 'ceiling' hook :o: Pssssssst :sad:.
Steadyracks a wall mounted solution :wink:
ROLL in, pivoting/fold away BIKE SIMPLES! :grin: They have been a godsend!
The 29er has never properly fitted since the suspension. fork upgraded from vanilla 100mm rockshox to 140mm Magura extending the wheel base a bit, resulting on the back wheel dragging on the floor and front wheel not sitting in slot properly, so it had the 'mischeivious habit' of tipping out backward and 'jumping ' out ontop you. :sad: :YMDEVIL:

I've put off the job because I wasn't willing to drilling more holes for wall screw anchors, bodged by strapping in Place. :roll:
I had a light bulb moment. I fitted rack, timber block (made from offcuts}, 1 3/4" x 5" as a stud/ spacer and screwed the rack into that. It now stands off the wall, so the bit folds away better and those the cranks now clear the small radiator bonus! The rear wheel is clear of the floor just, so the wheel front wheel sits in properly the bike can pivot away easily. :-bd. The timber now has hook and holes for tool storage. The dream build =)) =)) =)) .
Attachments
IMG_10012021_133820_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg
(128.6 KiB) Downloaded 597 times
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

chris n wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 am I replaced my one of my shagged up-and-over doors with insulated barn doors. So much easier to get in an out, and warmer too.
I probably use the garage door more than the front door! The novelty of using the remote control to open the roller as you roll up the drive wears off after a couple of goes and you're left standing waiting in front of it for 30 seconds (it's probably not even that long, but enough to be annoying) every time you want to get in or out.
chris n wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:29 am They're interlocking tiles made from recycled PVC - I bought mine from Duramat. Worked out I needed 95 tiles and got a deal on a 96 tile pack. Fortunately I didn't screw anything up too badly.
Cheers, will check them out. Yeah <1% isn't much room for error, well done!
slarge

Post by slarge »

Impressed with the tidy sheds going on here, but where do people keep all the pieces of wood, useful steel, boxes of electrics, boxes of plumbing, ladders, and everything else?

I have a double garage that is pretty full, and no end of replanning the layout in my head gets to a tidy solution.

For those with wall mounted bike storage solutions, how do you securely lock your bikes up?
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

slarge wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 10:58 am Impressed with the tidy sheds going on here, but where do people keep all the pieces of wood, useful steel, boxes of electrics, boxes of plumbing, ladders, and everything else?
I have a separate 8'x6' shed for that! But despite emptying it, putting some shelving and dividers in, and putting it all back in in a more organised way, it's starting to flow over into the garage, so contemplating something bigger :oops:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Can't compete with those impressive sheds of course.... but here is my latest lockdown project

Image2021-01-15_08-22-19 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Kind of appropriately themed I thought, don't you think?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice Verena. You should consider knitting Toyah one :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=Iw ... e=youtu.be
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

That's great!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 am Very nice Verena. You should consider knitting Toyah one :wink:

X_X X_X X_X I wish I hadn't sent you that Toyah link now. I knew it would crop up again :smile: . Am really beginning to lose control today! Might go for a lie down for a while....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:20 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 am Very nice Verena. You should consider knitting Toyah one :wink:

X_X X_X X_X I wish I hadn't sent you that Toyah link now. I knew it would crop up again :smile: . Am really beginning to lose control today! Might go for a lie down for a while....
:lol: :lol: :lol:

And I was wondering how come you've got that clip ready to use in your head Stu, or trying to imagine what search terms you would have to put into Google to find this :lol:

Right-o, I'm on it, extra chunky double cable knit me thinks - cover yourself up woman!!
RIP

Post by RIP »

Good job I did otherwise who knows what else we'd have had!

Good old Toyah anyway, not a huge fan I'm afraid, but fair play, 63 years old & still at it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Seen her at the Rock and bike festival a few years ago, absolutely owned the stage
And bonkers, sat and had a beer and a chat after too :-bd
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

All this Toyah talk reminded me of a page I ripped out of Punks Not Dead as a youth and had on my bedroom wall

https://archive.org/details/punksnotdea ... 7/mode/2up

And blimey there it is on page 28
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I do love this place, a thread I started about tidying my shed has got to a picture of Toyah's bap in only 4 pages :lol:

That's made my day :-bd
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

:lol: :lol:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm I do love this place, a thread I started about tidying my shed has got to a picture of Toyah's bap in only 4 pages :lol:

I hope she saw, her doctor about that large mole. Probably Too much sun bathing?
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 9:38 am Can't compete with those impressive sheds of course.... but here is my latest lockdown project

Image2021-01-15_08-22-19 by Verena Zimmer, on Flickr

Kind of appropriately themed I thought, don't you think?
Very impressive.
Was that inspired by recycled Xmas trees.
I hope it pine scented., it might be if you take it on BaM :grin:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

@Verena, that jumper is really impressive :-bd Did you knit it with needles or have you got a machine? I had a go on my Mum's machine many years back, the sort where you move the slide thing back and forth and there's loads of hooks I think (long time ago) but even that was beyond my patience.

This is sort of a lock-down project as if it wasn't for all the spare time I wouldn't have ended up watching loads of Shug's videos

The fabric only cost me £10 off eBay, the suspension cost me another £30 but not too much of an investment so far. I think I'm too old for my socks as they have 43-45 on the bottom* :lol: Yet to sleep in it, saving that for February's BAM. All the rest of the kit will be stuff I already own, mat, bag etc. My lightweight tarp is not quite long enough but I'll hopefully get away with it, I can pick a night when no rain is forecast.

If I sleep well I'll add a dedicated tarp to the list of projects.

*Might be too small to see on the above image but first thing I noticed.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Bit like Mock The Week that. "The answer's "43-45", what is the question?"......

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:48 pm I do love this place, a thread I started about tidying my shed has got to a picture of Toyah's bap in only 4 pages :lol:
Would you have been more, or less, surprised if the thread had started with a picture of Toyah's bap and got to tidying your shed in 4 pages?

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If the thread had started with a picture of Toyah's bap and I then said to Jane that I was going out to the shed I think that would have raised an eyebrow :lol:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Always ends in the gutter sooner or later....or a ditch in our case :grin: