Lock-down projects

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Re: Lock-down projects

Post by redefined_cycles »

Richpips wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:27 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:37 pm
What camera is it please Rich... is it easy enough to upload the pics straight into the web etc... Is it good for long distance bird shots :smile:

Great work btw
Hi Shaf, It's a sony a6000. You can buy different lenses so with something suitably long you could do birds. The lens would dwarf the camera. The idea of this camera is portability though.
Thanks for that... Yeah, I reckon I hace that issue going on (wanting something for long distance but wanting portable too... impossible combo I suppose). Looking forward to some great pics in your twitter feed btw...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Richpips wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:53 pm Made myself a camera strap for cycling last night.

When not in use the camera stays on your back. A magnetic buckle frees the camera so you can take a shot.

Nice Rich. I assume the long strap goes over one shoulder and the shorter one with the magnetic clip joins to that to keep it on your back?

Did you do something similar before? Sure I remember seeing something on Instagram/FB.

I've experimented with this myself. Currently use a Peak Designs Capture Clip for my mirrorless camera, but it doesn't work very well with drop bars and/or without a rucksack. I had a setup for my SLR which was kinda similar to yours, but the extra strap joined to my belt to keep it on my back.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

What camera is it please Rich... is it easy enough to upload the pics straight into the web etc... Is it good for long distance bird shots :smile:

Great work btw
Hi Shaf, It's a sony a6000. You can buy different lenses so with something suitably long you could do birds. The lens would dwarf the camera. The idea of this camera is portability though.
Shaf, mirror-less camera rather than DSLR, are more compact, just as versatile. They can be half the length and weight for the equivilent viewing area compared To DSLR.
I have a Panasonic Micro four thirds
(M43) system camera.
Be aware the camera lenses with have a specific lense mount, either unique to that camera manufacturer (Nikon Z, Fuji X Canon ros M, Panasonic G to name a few) or shared a cross a few manufacturers (like M43) Panasonic, Olympus & Leica.
Some cameras have a seperate viewfinder besides the rear screen. This will be same the view as through the lense, unlike point & shoot budget models. . Another benefit of a camera you put up to eye assists stabilising the camera for long telephoto shots, such as wildlife.
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
redefined_cycles

Thanks for that Dan...
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 11:39 pm Thanks for that Dan...
No problems, ,definately a try before you buy & slow burn decision.

Also consider weatherproofing & in camera body image stabilisation,- makes lenses cheaper.
Time to research on line group tests. :-bd
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

K1100T wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:36 pm
ledburner wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:20 am Astable oscillator circuit :-bd
I didn't think you'd take the bait. Champion!

Interesting that the 'off lamp' leds still glows dimmly where as, with a lamp would be off.
I took the photo just as it switched from one LED to the other..
ledburner wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:20 am Just a thought are the bottom red link to the lower +ve power rail, and top black link to the upper - ve power rail surplus as nothing likes to them. Just curious..
They're totally superfluous...
ledburner wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:20 am The name Tom Duncan has come to me he did a silver grey book on breadboard & experiments - Adventure in electronic. Blimey fun what the old grey mater turns up from 40 years ago...

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n1MAAOSw ... s-l400.jpg

I bet half the components are now unavailable...
It's an issue with some of the stuff I was planning on doing. All the old synth books that have circuits in them that use, either out of production, or hard to find ICs. Lots of stuff is now being done with Arduino Mini's and what not, although a few classic chips have been re-released due to the upsurge in interest in Eurorack modulars.

The next thing on breadboard will be three oscillators using the reverse avalanche properties of the transistors. Just waiting on the capacitors and some resistors dropping through the letterbox:

If you are after any particular ICs, then let me know as I've found a few boxes of them in the back of a classroom's store... Happy to have a rummage. Must be at least 10 years old, maybe more. Also found about 10,000 assorted resistors in mildewed boxes along with a disturbingly large amount of spider webs!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Thanks for the offer, I have nothing to to make at the moment. But I can supply a copy of Art of Electronics, Horovitz & Hill, 1990(IIRC).!!

We were always looking out for conductive spider when I was a repair techy. They caused havoc when putting it back in the case. It wouldn't surprise me if the Webs were the same! :grin:
The last project were with power Leds in about 2007 when the were new to the market, lots of future potential but 50 lumens per W, they only were good run at low power (max efficency) to maximise battery life.early days when Halogens were still brighter....
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

thenorthwind wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm
Richpips wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:53 pm Made myself a camera strap for cycling last night.

When not in use the camera stays on your back. A magnetic buckle frees the camera so you can take a shot.

Nice Rich. I assume the long strap goes over one shoulder and the shorter one with the magnetic clip joins to that to keep it on your back?

Did you do something similar before? Sure I remember seeing something on Instagram/FB.

I've experimented with this myself. Currently use a Peak Designs Capture Clip for my mirrorless camera, but it doesn't work very well with drop bars and/or without a rucksack. I had a setup for my SLR which was kinda similar to yours, but the extra strap joined to my belt to keep it on my back.
Yep, this is the one that Tom made awhile back.

The strap that heads off round his waist on the right attaches near his sternum.

If I was wearing a rucksack I'd fix the camera to the arm straps, I've done that with a DSLR in the past.

I've just bought a neoprene cover that goes over the camera to stop muck from puddles getting on it.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Richpips wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:54 pm
thenorthwind wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:05 pm

Yep, this is the one that Tom made awhile back.

The strap that heads off round his waist on the right attaches near his sternum.

If I was wearing a rucksack I'd fix the camera to the arm straps, I've done that with a DSLR in the past.

I've just bought a neoprene cover that goes over the camera to stop muck from puddles getting on it.
Ta for the pic, that looks good. I think I'll try and knock something similar up.

I used a neoprene "everready" style cover with my DSLR - worked pretty well. I attached some D rings to it so it's attached to the strap so you can just whip it off while riding and not drop it. When I got the mirrorless, I tried something similar, but ended up buying a Peak Designs rain shell which is great. I should on commission from PD but I'm not - just got these two pieces of kit from them and found the design and build quality is superb.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:00 pm

Great work btw
Thanks for that... Yeah, I reckon I hace that issue going on (wanting something for long distance but wanting portable too... impossible combo I suppose). Looking forward to some great pics in your twitter feed btw...
To add to Dan and Rich's tips: cameradecision.com is a great site for comparing cameras.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Neoprene case.

Bits you'll need to make your own.

3 mm of 25mm webbing should be plenty.

Fidlock 25mm slider buckle.

I don't know what the other thing are called but they came from ebay.

Oh and you'll need a couple of split O ring circles at either end.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Thanks Rich. Took me a bit of searching to find those three-way tri-glides but found some now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A camo codpiece. Now I've seen everything! :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've been playing around with the new Raspberry Pi Pico microprocessor boards. I wrote myself a mini version of space invaders to get to grips with the C++ SDK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjgEIniTBRI
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Finished this a few weeks ago and forgot to post pictures of it... a toybox I made for my niece from oak flooring. Few bits are a bit wonky, but I'm pretty happy with the end result. Nearly drove me to insanity though. I'm not really cut out for this sort of woodworking - I don't have the patience or precision, and despite owning lots of nice tools, never seem to have quite the right one for the job.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 9:59 pmdespite owning lots of nice tools, never seem to have quite the right one for the job.

is that
T=T+1.?

Nay lad, I'd be proud of that, your niece will :-bd
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers!

:lol: I thought T was "number of toyboxes"... The number of toyboxes I want to see again is definitely T or T-1.

Tools, yeah a bit like bikes, but easier to resist.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Wow, that's beautiful!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

The ultimate in lightweight dossing gear ,.
A micro doss sac. at a mighty 62.47 grammes in weight,[edit]: of Pata-gucci heritage. it an up-purposed sleeve.. :d
Made with Mini clips from Joe's Shop. . :-bd

Image.

it is a water bladder cover for Shaf. :YMHUG:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I thought it was going to be a winter bag for Ralph!
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Landslide wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 4:09 pm I thought it was going to be a winter bag for Ralph!
yep, that could happen! :grin:
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

repair time.
I have Magicshine light that would turn only turn Intermittantly. The most annoying type fault, :cry: Of course the fault would first materialise just after I bought the remote, from The German Magicshine Web shop. (UK no spares) #-O. Grrr.
I opened the sealed cable connect, bollards, a broken soldered on wire., (red.. I re-attached with soldering iron at hand A Big pistol type one, and fixed the connection, but the surface mount connect came away, dooh, (bottom left) . fixed that, now it works, (I also lost & eventually the micro screws, for the circuit board (pcb), in process, added fun X_X dooh). I just need some. good solvent cement to reassemble it... the fairies missus :oops: have moved it.. :???:

[Edit:] found it, It's a drying up, hopefully it weld the case closed.

Borderer

Post by Borderer »

ledburner wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:50 pm The ultimate in lightweight dossing gear ,.
A micro doss sac. at a mighty 62.47 grammes in weight,[edit]: of Pata-gucci heritage. it an up-purposed sleeve.. :d

Image.

Great to see the clips in MYOG use :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

Last march I posted a breadboard of some simple oscillators I was mucking about with. Long story short, but I needed a +/-12V supply, rather than the 9V, so I've built a Noodle Toaster v2; let's not discuss the missing Thonkiconn jack socket.

It would've been quicker and cost about a quarter of what I've spent, if I'd just bought and built a Frequency Central FC Power kit.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

ledburner wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:50 pm The ultimate in lightweight dossing gear ,.

Image.

Don't think I saw this Dan. I used it on my last big ride to London AFAIR. Raised about 5k for human dignity and rights and it kept my water from being too cold. Noone likes cold water right :grin: Thanks ever so much mate and really appreciated.