World's Lightest Bar Harness

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

World's Lightest Bar Harness

Post by RIP »

Dangerous attention grabber alert! I'll stick my neck out but bound to be proven wrong :smile: - 10g.

I vary between an AK harness (thank you lovely WRT riders) and simply strapping bags (67g x 2 AK UL07) to the bars using 'ultralight' S2S hook/eye straps. Tend to favour the latter although entails minor adjustment of rear gear cable each time - no big deal.

While stating straightaway that I can only look on in admiration at all the properly engineered ideas on Here, sometimes the ravings of an amateur come up trumps. From the same workshops that brought you the World's Lightest Bottle Cage: a simple way of eliminating gear adjustment each time - four cable ties from bars to mudguard. If you're being pedantic you could say the mudguard has weight, but that's there anyway.

Thinking time: 1 second ('brainwave' :smile:)
Expertise level required: rank amateur
Materials: 4 cableties, colour as desired
Tools: scissors to stab hole
Prep time: 0 minutes
Installation time: 1 minute
Tidying time: 0 minutes
Brew time afterwards: 10 minutes

Works perfectly with bag sitting on top with usual straps round bars and cableties. Looks tidy alongside the bar-mounted gaffertape bottle cage which you can see by the stem (13g), thus proving that my adage is correct: "you can make or repair anything with cableties, gaffertape and a mug of tea".

Full instructions available, with diagrams, by email at no charge. SAE if you want a free teabag as well.

'Reg'
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Re: World's Lightest Bar Harness

Post by redefined_cycles »

Reg... you're a genius and a scholar... or is that a gentleman and a scholar... weightweenie and a scholar.

Anyway, weightweenie award of the month goes to you (and thats saying something as we've only just started the month).

The prize I hear you (maybe 'u' would weigh less) think... well, in true weightweenie cluture, it weighs nothing... In fact it is nothing. You should be proud...

Anyway, lets hope noone gets offended with us talking about gravity defying tactics :lol:
RIP

Post by RIP »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:56 pm
The prize...in true weightweenie culture, it weighs nothing... In fact it is nothing.
:lol: bravo!
lets hope noone gets offended
bound to :wink:
genius
:blush: I wear my genius lightly. For reasons beyond me, the vast majority of people fail to spot it :smile: :wink:
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

:lol:
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Hate to break it to you... but my eagle eyes have spotted that the bag your uberlight harness was attempting to harness has escaped :shock:

Good brainwaving nonetheless
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd like to propose that we call it 'Reg's Gusset' for obvious reasons.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

'Reg's empty gusset' ? :???:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:44 pm Works perfectly with bag sitting on top with usual straps round bars and cableties.
I don't want to be a pedant.. but I will anyway. If the bag has to be attached using the usual straps then is it a bar harness? or just part of a bar harness? :smile:

And if it's just 'part' of the bar harness does your claim to be the lightest include the weight of the straps? If the straps used to work previously, albeit having to move the gear cable, then surely the straps are the worlds lightest bar harness and with the cable-ties it's the worlds second lightest bar harness?

Good work all the same. The cable-tie is a wonderful invention. I lost a strap off the bar mounted feed bag on the HT550, fixed it back to the bars with a cable tie. If I was going on a long tour I'd fix them on with cable-ties from the off, more secure but also can't be stolen off the bars without cutting the ties.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Exactly the responses I expected from exactly the right people :-bd . S'great 'ere.