PATENTED FRAM BAG - 16 LT - 285 GR

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Sandro

PATENTED FRAM BAG - 16 LT - 285 GR

Post by Sandro »

Hallo, I'm new in this interesting BIKEPACKING FORUM and like somebody of you I have created my first bags for my first trips across the FRANCH ALPS by MTB (2016), After good this beautiful experience where I tested this innovative bag I decided to produce it for others and I patented it to protect a good idea! :wink:

this is a preview

16 litrs for 285 gr!

I'm available for any questions! and I hope it will be useful to someone!

good adventures

CIAO Sandro

https://www.newbikeproducts.com/en/
Bearbonesnorm

Re: PATENTED FRAM BAG - 16 LT - 285 GR

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you not catch your knees on it?
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Was wondering that too. Either that or you need to "ride like John Wayne"....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Not sure I'd want to ride across the "Franch" Alps with my knees poking sideways.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

Tim, it works if you say it in an Inspector Clouseau accent. Uh-oh, I can feel another traffic-cone situation unfolding :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
slarge

Post by slarge »

Hi Sandro,
How does it fix to the frame. It looks like there are several straps holding it together, but does it bounce around on the frame or is it fixed quite solidly?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

There's a video on the site showing knee / bag clearance. Looks okay seated but probably not standing, which would rule it out for me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

One things for certain... It didn't take very long for Sandro to get his head round the complex process of adding pics. In fact he added 2... :smile: just goes to show how easy it actually is (took me about 2 years)... :-bd
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:04 am Do you not catch your knees on it?
Hallo, NO, you have 3 - 5 cm between your knees end NBP BAGS when you ride on the saddle end with MTB FRAME or FATBIKE ! ;-)

Our frame bag is NOT SUITABLE for gravel bikes ( SHORTER FRAMES ) and everybody who OFTEN ride standing! :wink:

video:
https://youtu.be/47rxEE17atI

follow the main advantage:

1) the weight of the bag is the RIGHT PLACE at the center of the frame !

2) you can LOWER the DROPPER SEAT POST and gain in fun and safe driving!

3) NO SIZE TO TAKE, the frame bags FIT ALL TYPES and SIZES of MTB FRAME, also FULL FRAME

4) NO OSCILLATION as for SADDLE bags

5) NO CRUSHED CABLE as for the HANDLEBAR BAG

6) EXCELLENT weight / volume ratio: 290 gr for 16 liters!

7) WITHOUT ZIP to guarantee durability and IMPERMEABILITY

8) DO NOT LOSE SPACE for the BOTTLE inside the frame

9) GOOD STORAGE WITH 3 POCKETS to best order your luggage

10) WRITINGS and REFLECTING TAPES for your safety at night!

11) ECONOMIC, evoyd buying the SADDLES BAGS and the HANDLEBAR BAGS

CIAO Sandro
Last edited by Sandro on Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

TheBrownDog wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:53 pm Not sure I'd want to ride across the "Franch" Alps with my knees poking sideways.
Your ride does NOT CHANGE and remains fun in this back-bikepacking configuration! Image

This is my favorite configuration for ride in MTB in technical trails , but everyone is free to do as they wish!
I'm working to make a light and breathable backpack for MTB travel ready for mid 2020! 16 Lt for ONLY 630 gr with back protection !

hi, this is a video where I test my products ( FRANCE - Sisteron to Nice - south east alps ) :https://youtu.be/MvaqwB_nZng

The "postrage" bike on back video ( FRANCE-north east alps ) :
https://youtu.be/3t-LKe2nCX0

Good viewing!! :wink:

Sandro
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

slarge wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 8:06 pm Hi Sandro,
How does it fix to the frame. It looks like there are several straps holding it together, but does it bounce around on the frame or is it fixed quite solidly?
Hallo, this PATENTED BAGS it is really stable, NO OSCILLATION thanks to the fixing system! ;-)
The first two or three times the assembly may seem complicated, but afterwards it becomes very simple!

in this bag I did not put zippers to guarantee durability and waterproofness; it is less accessible than other systems but here you put all the material that you do not use during the trip!

a assembly video: https://youtu.be/0L_l1fSWW_8

CIAO Sandro
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 pm One things for certain... It didn't take very long for Sandro to get his head round the complex process of adding pics. In fact he added 2... :smile: just goes to show how easy it actually is (took me about 2 years)... :-bd
Hi, was NOT EASY adding pics :roll: I still don't know how to upload photos, but only photos via links :wink:
There are still many things to know how to embed a youtube video, but of necessity virtue... :wink:

You can find many photos on our facebook page to see what kind of bikes my customers use;
https://www.facebook.com/pg/NEWBIKEPROD ... 3126870924

Ciao

Sandro
Mart

Post by Mart »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:50 pm One things for certain... It didn't take very long for Sandro to get his head round the complex process of adding pics. In fact he added 2... :smile: just goes to show how easy it actually is (took me about 2 years)... :-bd
Ive still not mastered it , maybe in another couple of years :lol:
2924 miles per Gallon
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hello Sandro

A few questions:
My handlebar bag contains:
Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar with inner (quite bulky but very light), and it can’t be separated (well the inner can be separated but that makes setting up camp very inefficient)

Plus sleeping mat, tent pole and pegs

Plus maybe a gas canister etc.

1) So the question is whether the Trailstar and inner would fit, without making it too bulky and thereby catching knees.

2) the video shows the blue bits (under the stem) and it looks as if you are having difficulty fastening them ? Essential that they close tightly to keep out the weather.

3) Cost ? No indication what this bag will cost.

4) In your diagram you show (in green) the shape of a seat pack, well above the seat. But there are no videos, nor any mention of that ?

5) In all the videos everybody seems to have very large backpacks on ?
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi again Sandro

I always use a frame bag....

It looks as if your bag will still fit even if there is a frame bag in the triangle ?
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Hallo Eric, thanks for interest and questions!
below the answers...
ericrobo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 12:54 pm Hello Sandro

A few questions:
My handlebar bag contains:
Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar with inner (quite bulky but very light), and it can’t be separated (well the inner can be separated but that makes setting up camp very inefficient)

Plus sleeping mat, tent pole and pegs

Plus maybe a gas canister etc.

1) So the question is whether the Trailstar and inner would fit, without making it too bulky and thereby catching knees.

in the one of the side pocket you can fit your Trailstar and inner NOT SEPARATED (I can fit 2 place tent CAMP MINIMA SL , 1,5 kg ) NOT BULK but rolled up to gain space! for an idea: length 32-34 cm and circumference 50-52 cm MAX ( OUR FABRIC IS ELASTIC FOR BETTER ADAPTABILITY )

in the second side pocket you can fit your sleeping mat end duvet jacket or duvet sleeping bag

in the blue pocket your sleeping equipment and pegs if rolled up with clothes ( i'm working on to produce a compact carbon pegs )

2) the video shows the blue bits (under the stem) and it looks as if you are having difficulty fastening them ? Essential that they close tightly to keep out the weather.

both fabrics are waterproof and the bag remains fixed even if you don't close the small clips, it is mainly an aesthetic function and you need some practice! only in case of storm would I close properly because the seams of the blue bag are not watertight

3) Cost ? No indication what this bag will cost.

175 € for 16 lt end 285 gr !

4) In your diagram you show (in green) the shape of a seat pack, well above the seat. But there are no videos, nor any mention of that ?

it will be available mid-year, I hope lightweight, waterproof and comfortable backpack! 16 lt for 620 gr with back protection

5) In all the videos everybody seems to have very large backpacks on ?

in the videos we have the OLD and HEAVY backpacks... 30/35 lt... not completely filled ! 1390 gr for DEUTER TRANS ALPINE 30 LT... A NOT SUSTAINABLE PRODUCT MADE IN VIETNAM! I CANNOT ACCEPT THIS ANYMORE AND FOR THIS I WILL CREATE A BACKPACK FOR TRAVELERS!
Last edited by Sandro on Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

ericrobo wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:44 pm Hi again Sandro

I always use a frame bag....

It looks as if your bag will still fit even if there is a frame bag in the triangle ?
Hallo Eric, you can use your frame bags but it will be not easily accessible, but with our big bags you could fix in this position the bottles for water ( a considerable and compact weight )

Ciao Sandro
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Hallo, here the Eric's review ! ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16456

CIao Sandro
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Ventured out Monday to visit a friend 15 miles away, over the hill (Winter Hill), with the Sandro bags still on from Saturday.

So 30 miles in all and 3300 feet ascent, left my friends late so the last hour was in the dark...(and howling wind and rain, which turned to hail as I ascended the hill again.)

No issues at all with the bags on this ride. In fact going downhill in very windy conditions keeps the bike more stable I would say.

I even tried out of the saddle, and you can ride out of the saddle. :-bd

All you do is to flick the bike a bit left when your right knee comes to the top of its stroke, and vice versa....(Like Chris Froome does :lol: )

They could be improved a bit weather wise, in that the flaps of the main pockets should be a bit longer, to enable fastening, be it Velcro, or strap, or a roll top closure as in dry bags.

Because they are a bit exposed being at the front.

None of my gear got wet mind you.

Also because they are (obviously) a lot lower down than a handlebar bag, they pick up enough mud.

But whether you think they are ‘ugly’ .... (Ray, it’s not the Vogue magazine here :roll: ) or whether you can’t sprint up the Alpe d’Huez they are totally functional.

My next experiment is to try with a very light handlebar bag as well, and no seat pack, because my new bike has a dropper post... (should be interesting doing a rocky Lakeland descent.... :-bd )

So I guess it very much depends where you do your riding, what sort of terrain, and how much you carry.

With this arrangement you can take a few days food, without having to rely on your backpack too much.

And... old habits die hard, and that and a cost of 175 euros + 12 euros shipping is going to deter a lot from here ?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

hopefully I will bumpinto you one day with you useing themas I amlocal enough and I reckon it will be easy to spot you
Might see you out tomorrow as I bag BAM- my attempts to avoid storms has been foiled by yet another storm

Happy to test the bags in a storm for you :wink:

It is expensive but i assume it fits every bike and frame bags are fairly expensive and bike specfic so I assume in the long run its actually cheaper than frame bags.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Hi Johnny (see, I know your name.... and.... you type way too fast :lol: :lol: :lol: )

We nearly met on the December 2018 Winter Bivvy, you did well to avoid that one.

I’m over these hills very regularly but it’s funny how it goes... there’s a bloke I (used to...) meet every 2 or 3 weeks, his name is John, I call him Singlespeed John.... because he rides a SS... his bike(s) are the most beat up you’ll ever see, he buys the cheapest parts, does his own repairs, builds his own wheels etc. But can he ride !!!

He did a lot of BMX when younger, still does a bit he reckons.

If you know the (brilliant) ST (but not to be ridden unless it’s very dry, otherwise = damage), hope I’m not giving secrets away here, but just to say it’s where it drops down to avoid Wilton 3, He said he’s ridden it, almost up to the fence, then all the way down after the fence...

And I’ve not seen him for a few months now....

I had a plan today to go over the hill and visit BG caf (Bowling Green cafe), and then Leadmines Clough (that climb....) and Tockholes , about 25 miles, but the deluge put/p***ssed me off.

Any how’s we could meet BG caf sometime, preferably mid week, a great place, and an excellent cask ale if you’re in ‘social’ mode

I’m definitely a big fan of these bags. Room for a bit of improvement yes, but very very functional.

I wonder why nobody thought of this before ?

Slarge had a bit of a jibe with a picture of a full fairing Norton..(what a bike)... reminded me of my Moto Guzzi 850 Le Mans... I sailed Newcastle to Bergen on it and reached Tromso, Finland, Sweden many many years ago,

And I had a tank bag, which I used to rest my chest on a bit (riding 7 hours a day, then wild camping)

These bags remind me of my Moto Guzzi tank bag.

I cannot believe that my knees do not touch :-bd
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

”And I’ve not seen him for a few months now....“

Hope he didn’t do one drop too many.... :cry: :cry: :cry:

Don’t think so... :-bd :-bd :-bd
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

yes i have met him but only once - i did stop and chat as i remember him saying about BMX and his bike was lets just say unique. I think he mainly rides the other side of the hills so i only see hm when i do long rides and during the week

the talk of the poor weather is not helping me as its my only chance to get BAM the bike is set up lets see what the weather does. apparently wet till its 40 mph winds at low level - might head for some woods.

Yes i know it - its rideable on the FS though that corner after the fence is something i have cleared about twice in my life as the penalty for error is severe- my mate has always ridden it even in the wet so the run is cleanable .

I wil PM you re a ride out
Sandro

Post by Sandro »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:13 pm hopefully I will bumpinto you one day with you useing themas I amlocal enough and I reckon it will be easy to spot you
Might see you out tomorrow as I bag BAM- my attempts to avoid storms has been foiled by yet another storm

Happy to test the bags in a storm for you :wink:

It is expensive but i assume it fits every bike and frame bags are fairly expensive and bike specfic so I assume in the long run its actually cheaper than frame bags.
Hi, I agree with you, the bag is very versatile and if you change bikes you don't have to change the bags!
The price is in line for products made in Europe, where workers and the environment are protected!

The bag is very refined and with attention to detail!

A curiosity: to make these bags it takes 7 different machines! ;-)

This bag changes the way you do bikepacking and you can have fun traveling even on very technical terrain!

Sandro