More on the bendy plastic thing.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

More on the bendy plastic thing.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Following on from the bendy plastic thread .... I thought I'd have a quick Blue Peter moment with some scissors. Please excuse the roughness but I did it free-hand. Anyway, I reckon the dimensions need a little trimming but the idea's there.

I might look at ordering some more sheets of material if anyone's interested. I've used .5mm Styrene because it's what I had but I'd likely increase the thickness to 1.5mm or even 2mm. Even .5mm is fairly tough but I figure the slots / holes for webbing will be the potential weak point.

May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Re: More on the bendy plastic thing.

Post by RIP »

:smile: .

Apologies for piggybacking but would you reckon 1mm or 1.5 for this seat harness experiment pls?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well Reg, some will depend on the type of plastic used but in this case I'd go with 1.5mm over 1mm. 1mm might be fine but you obviously don't want the slots tearing. It glues well enough, so I suppose the slots could be reinforced without much trouble.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Thank you..
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

shez

Post by shez »

I've used 'High Impact Polystyrene' (HIPS) before, and if it's the same stuff found that over use repeated flexing tends to lead to it cracking and breaking, often propogating from somewhere the surface has been scratched up. Onto polythene cutting matts for now....
bristolgravel

Post by bristolgravel »

Inspired by the Wayward saddle bag harness I've created my own. I decided to sew it together as I wanted to add some extra straps etc.. and I wasn't confident the plastic wouldn't break.

I found that messy mat from Wilco are perfect for this project and cheap at £2.00 each. Although it looks like they've been discontinued. https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-messy ... /p/0482219

Image Image Image Image

Excuse the mess I'm currently decluttering but can't escape making stuff on my sewing machine. Its superstable and now I have the sizing, I'm going to make a dry bag that fits better. I used a locking side lock buckles on the sides and a magnetic buckle on the top strap. The compression straps are 15mm side lock buckles which helps compress the harness and bag to keep it away from my thigh.

I'm also planning to update my front harness with the plastic as well. I'll post pics once its finished.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Good work :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

Very nice indeed! Beat me to it :smile: . Any chance of a close-up of the seatpost attachment? Does the strap just go through two slots in the sheet? How do the various curvatures sit together? Feel free to keep it copyright of course :smile: .

bristolgravel

Post by bristolgravel »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:54 pm Very nice indeed! Beat me to it :smile: . Any chance of a close-up of the seatpost attachment? Does the strap just go through two slots in the sheet? How do the various curvatures sit together? Feel free to keep it copyright of course :smile: .
Low profile camlocks. Stitched to some webbing on the plastic sheet for extra security. Added some old innertube to provide some extra grip on the seatpost.

Image Image

Just been bouncing down some trails to see how stable it is and its passed the test. I'm going to make a drybag with a taper towards the seatpost. I used a Sea to Summit Big river 8l bag for getting the sizes right for the final build. I'm planning to make a dry bag that is around max 11-12l in size.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Ta. Looks ace.

bristolgravel

Post by bristolgravel »

RIP wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:22 pmTa. Looks ace.
If you need help then let me know. I'm still pretty new to sewing but I;ve made a ton of useful stuff so far and I'd be happy to answer any questions anyone may have on their own projects.