Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by thenorthwind »

Cheers. It's definitely not extra friction from cranking. Just checked and I've had it nearly 5 years, but even to get through 200kg in that time I'd have to grind about 750g a week, so three standard bags. It does have conical burrs and is a fairly small grinder so I guess that, and the size of grind I'm using.
RIP

Post by RIP »

At least you guys have an enthusiasm and interest in the quality and variety of a product. This amused me:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... oughs.html

What's going on there then, eh? I shall play to Rule #38 (Miserable Misanthrope Monday): a/ it's a triumph of marketing over product, b/ what IS it with this drive-to/drive-through lazy lunacy?, c/ where's the pleasure and fun in a food/drink that is EXACTLY and boringly the same wherever/whenever you consume it?

I was fairly upbeat today but now I've sunk into a deep slough of despond :smile: .

(facepalm: just noticed it's in the Daily WhyOhWhy as well so that just adds to the fun!)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Presumably the local hedgerows were running out of discarded coffee cups so they thought they should reopen to top up the litter levels?

I used to see them walking down the high street clutching their lattes out of the office window. From my working at home office window it's mainly the blackbird being bullied by a robin :grin:

I also saw a Jay the other morning, first one in ages, but maybe it's been coming to the garden all the time and I'm usually out. I wouldn't have known but I happened to be in the kitchen grinding coffee when I spotted it out of the window, which is an added benefit of my new coffee regime :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

sean_iow wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 am There must be some mathematical relationship that keeps the volume the same for a given weight regardless of individual partical size as long as the particals are all the same size.
and approximate shape.

Quickly thinking about it I have managed to convince myself that this would be true. The ratio of air to coffee is what is important for volume. Draw lots of circles in a box then zoom in or out. Take one circle filling a square. If you now divide that square into 3*3 circles then it is 9 * 1/9 *(circle to square ratio) = circle to square ratio hence the ratio of circle to space is constant. The spheres(coffee beans) do some clever 3d hexagonal fitting but I guess this consistent for either size so cancels out.
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 7:42 pm walking down the high street clutching their lattes
I knew you were going to bring that up :smile: . I've gone into Full-On Curmudgeon Mode now :lol: . It's like zombie apocalypse sometimes in our High St - everyone rushing along glazed-eyes gulping out of a purple cardboard bucket with no signs of pleasure at all. It's like a lifestyle accessory. You see it with supermarket 'free' hot drinks. It seems to be an automatic response on exit. Still, it's highly entertaining watching the juggling of three shopping bags and a bucket of hot beverage and the predictable aftermath so I mustn't complain.

Philosophy Corner: why aren't there loads of tea counterparts to Co$$$ta, St*rfu€ks, N€ro et al?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 10:30 am volume the same for a given weight
Ah now, I'm surprised You Lot haven't distinguished between weight and mass, given all the talk about microgrammes making all the difference between a proper cup of coffee and a bucket of dirty water. Top of Everest, your grind will weigh considerably (*) less than that on Copacabana Beach. Maybe that means a cafe on top of Everest would end up selling very strong cupfuls :smile:

:grin:

(*) ok I retract that. Maybe 2-3% less, but.... (**)

(**) Monday's Obscure Quiz Question: if the higher you went the stronger your brew for the same weight, is Everest's summit the best place to brew the strongest coffee for that weight?
Last edited by RIP on Mon May 04, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:13 pm Maybe that means a cafe on top of Everest would end up selling very strong cupfuls :smile:
But the boiling temperature of water decreases by 0.5 degrees for every 500 ft of elevation, so at the top of Everest the water wouldn't reach the required temperature. We all make our coffee at sea level to ensure controlled conditions :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

sean_iow wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:28 pm
RIP wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:13 pm Maybe that means a cafe on top of Everest would end up selling very strong cupfuls :smile:
We all make our coffee at sea level
Good point. But I need convincing that the pressure difference outweighs the weight difference. AND, you live on IoW about 2" ASL so that's not fair :smile: .
Last edited by RIP on Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Good Lord, that's interesting. So the boiling point of water on Everest is as low as 71degC so the differential is far more than that of the weight. Hadn't realised it was that much. Fair play.

Ah but wait, for the optimum coffee flavour extraction is it the act of 'boiling' or the raising of its temperature to 100degC that does the job? If it's the 'boiling', or partial conversion of the brew to a vapour, rather than '100degC', then you'd be better off up Everest not in Shanklin :smile: .

I don't reckon you've thought this through properly at all :lol: . To be honest you'd be much better off nipping round Stu's for a tea - he just gets a perfect cuppa instantaneously every time through some strange intuition rather than mucking about with all this weights, temperatures, grinds mumbo-jumbo. AND you'd get a delicious slice or two of DFLDC to go with it!

:wink:

oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

RIP wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:02 pm
Philosophy Corner: why aren't there loads of tea counterparts to Co$$$ta, St*rfu€ks, N€ro et al?
Don’t wish for that. Unless you like your tea boiled for continuously for hours then loaded up with whipped cream and hazelnut syrup (which has 35 ingredients, none of which are actually hazelnut). Tea bag left in.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

RIP wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 8:45 pm I don't reckon you've thought this through properly at all :lol: . To be honest you'd be much better off nipping round Stu's for a tea - he just gets a perfect cuppa instantaneously every time through some strange intuition rather than mucking about with all this weights, temperatures, grinds mumbo-jumbo. AND you'd get a delicious slice or two of DFLDC to go with it!

:wink:
Can’t I enjoy both? As long as it’s not that tanin water that passes for tea amongst the English ;)
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol: :-bd

Further to my earlier ravings, I gather we shouldn't 100degC and/or boil coffee anyway - 95degC is best. But that still doesn't answer the boil v temperature question. Or at which height. Everest and Shanklin are the unsatisfactory extremes probably, so which mountain summit would be best? Snowdon? Vesuvius (wouldn't need a stove there)? Catbells? Oh nooo-o-o-o you've got me at it now!

oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

I started a lengthy reply about ideal temperatures for different coffees and different brew methods and pressure (eg espresso is 9 bar of pressure) but I don’t have the science to understand the mountain hypothetical.

I think the question is - is there the same energy at boiling water atop Everest as there is in boiling water at sea level? I’m assuming so?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Assuming the water starts at the same temperature you'd need less energy to raise it to 'boiling point' the higher you go - say from 20degC to 71degC on Everest but 20degC to 100degC in Shanklin. So that's what I'm wondering, what actually is it that's releasing the 'correct' flavours/aromas. Is it the temperature of the atoms (the same at whatever height you are) or the jostling of coffee grains together (probably greater at boiling point, at the applicable temperature for your height).

Coffee probably tastes subjectively better up mountains so that's an added complexity.

As Bomb #20 said: "This is fun!" :smile: .

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought I'd post this 'ere. I see SP are selling a 'Nanopresso' espresso machine. I know nowt about it and would rather drink pond water with a dash of rat p1ss than espresso but hey, plenty of folk love it :wink:
https://www.sportpursuit.com/catalog/pr ... id/1895235
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Like those coffee machines stu, ione had one similar at the twixmas bivvy few yrs ago and it makes great coffee but bloody heavy n bulky :shock:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Like those coffee machines stu, ione had one similar at the twixmas bivvy few yrs ago and it makes great coffee but bloody heavy n bulky
About 340g is it not?
Mike

Post by Mike »

I didnt look at the weight mate, i know the one i held just felt heavy.... well heavier than id want in my pack with all the other stuff :lol:

Did my lightweight ti version every come to fruition pal :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Did my lightweight ti version every come to fruition pal
I was waiting for some Ti rod after the first lot were no good - I've no idea what happened to the replacements, I'll do some chasing up. Well reminded.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Damn I appear to have just ordered my birthday present from the mrs lol
Porlex mini and a aeropress go , looking forward to it, I was just going to get the aeropress but as I have a bean to cup at home I've always loads of beans in the house so seemed silly not to get a little grinder, I was going to get a rhinowares one in a bundle with the aero but the porlex just seems to have the best reviews of the cheaper units , fingers crossed
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Good call, i used a friends rhinowears one at home. Entirely a pig to use... very difficult to grind with (and he subsequently just buys Preground coffee, so it gathers dust). Have fun :-bd :-bd
jameso

Post by jameso »

Probably missed a whole load of stuff in this thread but since I've been faffing with coffee methods, thinking if I can't get an early summer long weekender done I may as well think about kit for when I do.. thought I should browse.
what actually is it that's releasing the 'correct' flavours/aromas. Is it the temperature of the atoms (the same at whatever height you are) or the jostling of coffee grains together (probably greater at boiling point, at the applicable temperature for your height).
Reg, as far as I understand it (ie little, no coffee nerd here, I just like the stuff) it's the combination of heat and pressure that does it. Time and heat alone also, from experience of making cowboy coffee that has no pressure. Heat/pressure/time, like what made Everest :-bd

I was thinking about a ModYOG or MYOG moka pot. I like cowboy coffee for bike trips, no additional kit needed apart from a pot cozy, the few minutes between stirs is well spent usually doing nothing. It makes a brew with the 'crema' that is generally made from the pressure in espresso machines (so it isn't just the pressure to make it?) and it's usually a strong one too. But the moka pot is brilliant at home. Might not be compatible with a meths stove, gas would be better. Would be great to have a lighter, compact version but since it involves pressure and machined fits it's beyond what I have the kit for in the garage. Like this but without the tray and a shorter pipe or a pipe extender that dangles over the mug .. could just hold the mug. Ideally it all packs into the mug like this one (311g).

The filter on P1 is neat. I have an Ortlieb filter, similar but the water goes cold as it filters through. Makes weak, tepid coffee ime. Travel Aeropress would be the best compromise for a luxury tour I think, the full-size version is great. That works via added pressure also.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ooh, here we go, titanium .. $50+ though

200ml, 80*130mm, 180g
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers oreo looks like I made the right decision

That looks nice james
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Perfect James!
That titanium one is very appealing.
Although the aluminium ones with spouts are very cheap! Have you tried one?
Insanity over vanity