Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by Boab »

Boab wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:50 pm Noooooooooo! £14 for a replacement handle...
You snooze, you loose... Didn't bother getting a replacement handle at the time, they're now £20 and wont arrive till next month, I need it for next week. Looks like Porlex have also changed the interface and it's now a slot, so places like HasBean don't do replacements for older models; I'm not prepared to pay £80 for a newer one either.. Anyone got any ideas on how I can reattach the knob to the handle and have it last three weeks...?

Currently wondering if one of them universal socket drivers thingies would work in the pentagon shaft... 🤷
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Can't you simply put a bolt through it Bob?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:50 am Can't you simply put a bolt through it Bob?
I was wondering if I could somehow rivit it back on, literally hadn't thought about sticking a bolt through it... 🤦
Off to the hardware shop then, as I don't think I have any thin enough, or long enough.
Will also save me spunking £150 on an Aergrind too... 🤔
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Cordless drill on the grinder instead of the handle? Thats what I ended up using as the handle was giving me blisters....
Sorry not sure if you are proposing to take this on the bike :grin:
Boab

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:34 am Cordless drill on the grinder instead of the handle? Thats what I ended up using as the handle was giving me blisters....
Sorry not sure if you are proposing to take this on the bike :grin:
I considered an electric screwdriver, but the pentagon shaped interface is the issue with that... 🤷
Boab

Post by Boab »

Sorted!

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

See, what that now wants is the bolt cutting to length and a nice stainless dome nut ont' end :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Boab wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:15 am Looks like Porlex have also changed the interface and it's now a slot....
I'd relalised the other day that mine had seen daily use for over 2 years with no sign of wear to the handle/grinder interface and also remembered someone mentioning they wore their handle out and I was puzzled how that would be possible. Mine's the slotted version so that explains it, didn't know they were previously different. That explains how the handles could wear out as the old interface looks a bit rubbish :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Boab

Post by Boab »

sean_iow wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:41 am
Boab wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:15 am Looks like Porlex have also changed the interface and it's now a slot....
I'd relalised the other day that mine had seen daily use for over 2 years with no sign of wear to the handle/grinder interface and also remembered someone mentioning they wore their handle out and I was puzzled how that would be possible. Mine's the slotted version so that explains it, didn't know they were previously different. That explains how the handles could wear out as the old interface looks a bit rubbish :roll:
The handle on my first Porlex destroyed itself at the pent-interafce. I couldn't get a replacement, so just bought a whole new grinder; they weren't £80 a pop in those days. I only use it on holiday these days as I have a counter top Baratza, which I should really get serviced... 🤔
Boab

Post by Boab »

New burr day!

Upgrading my Encore to the M2 burrs, as I've had to replace the motor as it was totally shagged.