Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by Boab »

PaulE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm At the risk of getting lynched, has anyone tried refillable coffee bags? I'm an aeropress fan at home, but I've seen these bags and thought they would be the lightest solution?
Yes, as a couple of bags is a damn sight smaller than an Aeropress, Porlex and beans. Tasted better than I was expecting, but then I wasn't expecting much. If you can get over the pre-ground oxidised taste, then you'll be fine.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

PaulE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm At the risk of getting lynched, has anyone tried refillable coffee bags? I'm an aeropress fan at home, but I've seen these bags and thought they would be the lightest solution?
Have thought of trying a bit of muslin and an elastic band but not got round to it. Would be an improvement on the cowboy method for next to zero extra weight. Easy to clean if you have access to water too.

I used the prefilled coffee bags you can buy once at work, but I couldn't brew it strong enough for my liking.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

You can buy empty, drawstring topped bags on Amazon. I was thinking about using one of those with a fairly coarse grind coffee in it.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

oreocereus wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 11:07 pm Good call, i used a friends rhinowears one at home. Entirely a pig to use... very difficult to grind with (and he subsequently just buys Preground coffee, so it gathers dust). Have fun :-bd :-bd
Sir Coffee Master and Tannin Tea hater... please may I just say that after what seems over a month of deliberation* (from your advice but longer from when I wasn't in the know), I've finally ordered my 1Zpresso... The Hario also seems to have broken itself in just this week :lol: Thanks kindly good sir :-bd ..

*Plus frantic ebay selling.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Ah sorry about the hario! How long did it last? What was the point of failure? Let us know how the 1zpresso is. Haven’t seen many reviews outside niche coffee forums (which believe it or not, I try to avoid!)
thenorthwind wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:36 am I used the prefilled coffee bags you can buy once at work, but I couldn't brew it strong enough for my liking.
I had heard this about some of those coffee “bags” (which seem to be quite expensive for low grade coffee) before - noticed they were usually 7-10g of coffee per bag. Unless someone likes their coffee quite diluted, that’s only enough coffee for 100-150ml of water (no matter how long you brew or boil it - whichll bring out those nastier flavors anyway). Possibly doubling up the bags would provide a better brew.

I’ve done the reusable bag thing, a waste free shop when I used to live in Brighton sold reusable tea bags. They were somewhere between Muslin cloth and cotton for fabric, with a little drawstring.

With good coffee, was pretty decent. The main issue is the bag was a bit small, so the coffee clumps a bit together, and the coffee in the middle of the “bag” doesn’t have as much contact with the water as the stuff at the outside - so extraction trended toward uneven. I think an oversized bag would be a really good solution, though.

Another, very easy way of doing it is an adaption of this French press technique . Notably he doesn’t plunge, rather he uses a long brew time to let the siltier coffee particles fall to the bottom before pouring through the mesh. I’ve done this without a press, but just letting the particles drift down before very gently decanting into a cup. I’ve also done it by putting a v60 filter in my pot (so Brewing by immersion) and gently lifting it out after 4-5 mins. Both methods are a little more fiddly but produced a better cup than the reusable tea-bag.

I think an oversized piece fabric filter with elastic to attach it to the pot edges (so it doesn’t collapse in) might be the best combo of easy/non-single use waste/quality coffee/light and compact. Tea bag is a pretty good solution too, and If I wasn’t bringing a grinder I’d go for one of those two methods over an aero press - the heavier/bulkier/more complex aero press would only justify itself with a fresh grind.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

PaulE wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 am You can buy empty, drawstring topped bags on Amazon. I was thinking about using one of those with a fairly coarse grind coffee in it.
Do you have a link? Should be easy to make with some scrap non-dyed/organic material, but a commercial option would be nice. See above post - I reckon it could be a winning combo for both “snobs” and “I just want the caffeine quickly” types alike
redefined_cycles

oreocereus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:03 pm Ah sorry about the hario! How long did it last?
:smile: sorry... No you misread it. I was meaning that the thing you shared about needing about 200g or something for the burrs to wear in and the grind becoming smoother. 'Broken in' not 'its broken'... :smile: I love the Hario but really needed to see for myself what everyone else is tasting with their Porlex and similar grinders :-bd

Might keep the Hario at work and the 1Zpresso at home...
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Oh right! Sorry yes misread. Will be curious if you can taste a significant difference and if the ease of use is notable. Haven’t seen any speed tests with the 1zpresso, but from what I’ve heard about the hario it should be a lot faster to use.
redefined_cycles

oreocereus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:27 pm Oh right! Sorry yes misread. Will be curious if you can taste a significant difference and if the ease of use is notable. Haven’t seen any speed tests with the 1zpresso, but from what I’ve heard about the hario it should be a lot faster to use.
I'll try and do some back to back controlled (as much as am able) testing and report back. Seems a good investment from what I've been reading on them funny forums...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

oreocereus wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:05 pm
PaulE wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:01 am You can buy empty, drawstring topped bags on Amazon. I was thinking about using one of those with a fairly coarse grind coffee in it.
Do you have a link? Should be easy to make with some scrap non-dyed/organic material, but a commercial option would be nice. See above post - I reckon it could be a winning combo for both “snobs” and “I just want the caffeine quickly” types alike
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Disposable-Dra ... 4448&psc=1

But these ones are bigger.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07YTV ... UTF8&psc=1
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Just to resurrect this thread - cos I've just been sorting out my brewkit for an overnight tomorrow... I've got one of these Ortlieb filter holders. Weighs about 25g and can balanced with a couple of tent pegs or sticks over a mug to make a proper V60 style pourover coffee.

The main advantage over some other types is packability (it's basically unbreakable) and if you pinch the exit hole shut, you can pour water from your mug into the filter and then drip it back into the same mug. Other solutions I've tried have been a struggle with only one receptacle..

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Matt C wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pm if you pinch the exit hole shut, you can pour water from your mug into the filter and then drip it back into the same mug. Other solutions I've tried have been a struggle with only one receptacle..
That's genius :smile: I've got an msr mugmate filter but needing something to boil the water and a separate cup is a pain. I've got the Aeropress Go for more luxury trips but I'm liking your solution above for lighter weight trips.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I use a mugmate. I boil my water, lower the coffee-filled mugmate gently into the water, and stir the grounds as I do it, so they mix with the water.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Been looking for one of those ortlieb coffee drips for ages cant find them anywhere
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Matt C wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:16 pmpinch the exit hole shut
Does this solve the problem if you've drunk too much coffee too? Asking for a friend...
:wink:
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

thenorthwind wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:39 pm
Does this solve the problem if you've drunk too much coffee too? Asking for a friend...
:wink:
It would be a short term solution at best...in either case you have to be quick to avoid getting it all over your hands.. :lol:
Mike wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:01 pm Been looking for one of those ortlieb coffee drips for ages cant find them anywhere
Yeah, I got it a year or so back but it was after a fair bit of hunting. Came from ebay in the end - I have a nagging feeling they have been discontinued by Ortlieb.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:01 pm Been looking for one of those ortlieb coffee drips for ages cant find them anywhere
I've got one somewhere Mike, will try to find it, it's yours if so. They're great but I just prefer cowboy coffee to pour-filter so haven't used it in a very long time.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Never pinch, you can burst things :oops:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

In the latest instalment of "Landslide horrifies proper coffee snobs", these arrived yesterday:
Mike

Post by Mike »

James,u star. Iv pm u fella :-bd
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Landslide wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:48 am In the latest instalment of "Landslide horrifies proper coffee snobs", these arrived yesterday:
Provocative :roll:

I’ve heard folks complain about these being quite weak. Apparently they’re about 7-8g each, which would be half the coffee dose of your typical French Press of “Americano” - you may need to double up, depending on tastes.

Edit: though I note they describe it as “rugged and smoky” so sounds like they’re roasting it super dark (burnt?) to make the flavor “more intense” to account for lower dosage.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Noooooooooo! £14 for a replacement handle...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd well I'm in possession of a ortlieb coffee dripper thingy now and I can say its bloody fab. Used it in Scotland this week and what with my fresh coffee in the mornings what could be better than sat by a loch in -2 degrees at 7am :wink:
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've just ordered a few bags of coffee from paddy & Scott's, and they came with some free trial coffee bags. I'll give them a go next time I'm out and report back...

Someone at work brought a load of those Taylor's ones in for the staffroom and I agree with the previous comments about too little grounds. They taste ok, but definitely need more coffee to make a decently flavoured and sized mugfull.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm :-bd well I'm in possession of a ortlieb coffee dripper thingy now and I can say its bloody fab. Used it in Scotland this week and what with my fresh coffee in the mornings what could be better than sat by a loch in -2 degrees at 7am :wink:
:-bd