Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dgowenlock

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by dgowenlock »

I thought I'd reached trail coffee nirvana with a Bialetti mini but I had no idea how off the mark I was after reading this thread. :o
jameso wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 8:09 am Ooh, here we go, titanium .. $50+ though
Nice, do you have a link for this?

Resisting buying a grinder now - I've always used pre-ground.
Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 pm However never seen a spout version in operation,and wondered if the ti version tastes the same.
Here's one on the go - quite packable next to a Kraku stove and Ti mug, but does necessitate an espresso cup. All part of the ritual though :lol:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ywa8JYPeFhy99ZMz6
jameso

Post by jameso »

dgowenlock wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:19 pm Nice, do you have a link for this?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000335920882.html

200ml; φ80*130mm; 180g

No pressure release valve on the side by the look of it, that's my main concern. Though if you're keeping it all clean and not packing damp grounds in tight it should be ok. Screw threads of the 200ml version don't look like they'd take much pressure anyway..

I've asked an independent trade agent in Asia I know about getting hold of a dozen or so.

Mike

Post by Mike »

James, just had a look at that link but they only show the 400ml version in stock. If you managed to get your hands on a few of the 200ml could you put my name on one please fella.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Mike wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:28 am James, just had a look at that link but they only show the 400ml version in stock. If you managed to get your hands on a few of the 200ml could you put my name on one please fella.
Will do, forum ethics / business competition regs allowing ; )
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Since most of the coffee snobs would at some point browse this here thread, I think I'll ask here.

I find myself, afyer having invested in a Hario (older version of the mini mill) wanting something more snobby. Am thinking to sell a few more bike bits and buy one kf them semi snobby £100 grinders. Am I being totally unreasonable or will it really change my life for the better. Spent around 7 minutes yesterday grinding for 2 cuppa coffees in espresso mode (the cheap £7 grinder).

Am wondering whether the £100 grinder will be remarkably tastier (sibgle origin coffee roasted a week or 2 earlier) that the £30 grind
Boab

Post by Boab »

Start saving... 🤣

P.S. I should say, that I'm very happy with my Porlex...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

jameso wrote:
. . Have thought about getting a 1-cup, trimming the handle and top knob . . .
Here's my 3 cup, 150ml Bialetti knock-off. Loose pin to replace rivet in handle. Top knob replaced by valve dust cover. Handle, knob, loose pin (plus whatever else fits) into base. Spout gets packed with packeted foodstuffs.
200g all in.
IMG_20200531_134154278_1.jpg
(78.44 KiB) Downloaded 1412 times
jameso

Post by jameso »

^ that's good, I particularly like the dust cap top.. I pulled mine apart last week and found the handle had a 2-pin fitting ie sharing the lid hinge pin plus one other. Using the 2 holes, a bent spoke made a nice sprung handle that's more compact than the original (also slightly less useful :grin: )
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I laughed at that and I've never even seen Star Wars! Thanks for sharing.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:56 pm Since most of the coffee snobs would at some point browse this here thread, I think I'll ask here.

I find myself, afyer having invested in a Hario (older version of the mini mill) wanting something more snobby. Am thinking to sell a few more bike bits and buy one kf them semi snobby £100 grinders. Am I being totally unreasonable or will it really change my life for the better. Spent around 7 minutes yesterday grinding for 2 cuppa coffees in espresso mode (the cheap £7 grinder).

Am wondering whether the £100 grinder will be remarkably tastier (sibgle origin coffee roasted a week or 2 earlier) that the £30 grind
It’ll make a difference if you buy good coffee and are particular about controlling variables of whatever brew method you use. It also depends if your palette is that fussy... are you already someone who goes to a specialty cafe with a rotating guest roaster and gets enjoyment (or displeasure) from trying a new coffee? Are you fussy enough that some of those coffees taste bad, while others excite you? If yes, then you’ll get pleasure out of being able to produce a better coffee at home, for which a good grinder is an essential tool (and if you use manual brew methods - eg v60, cafetière, aeropress... it’s the only tool that Should be expensive - home espresso is an outrageously expensive world, however).

But if you’re more of a “coffee tastes like coffee” person, and your preferences come down to strength, then a better grinder will only make life easier in it being a lot easier to grind with, but you likely wouldn’t notice a large improvement in the taste.

Basically... it makes a difference, but only if you’re already inclined to notice those differences and seek to improve them.

In terms of manual grinders, the Made By Knock Aerspeed or Aergrind are the best in the sub £100 range, and are a small Scottish company. Availability is hit and miss though. There’s another grinder picking up a good reputation, by 1zpresso. I believe it’s an aliexpress company.

There’s a noticeable difference in quality of grind and user experience in the ~£50 hario grinders and the cheaper ones. There’s a very noticeable step up in quality from the £50 hario grinders to the MBK grinder (steel burrs, not cheap plastic parts) for only £30-£50 more. There is another step up in quality from the £80-100 MBK grinders to the £150-£300 price range - but the differences are a lot less pronounced. To me, the MBK represents the best value for someone willing to spend a little money. The hario, for someone on a tight budget (but they should really consider saving a couple more weeks pocket money), and the cheaper models are generally unpleasant to use in my experiences.

For what it’s worth, my MBK takes 20-25seconds for 17g if coffee ground for my aeropress. An espresso grind would be slower as it’s finer, but it wouldn’t be 3.5minutes as you experienced. 17g is also about average for a double shot of espresso (16-18g is the standard for a double).

All this said, I don’t think I’d recommend a hand grinder for a home espresso set up. Espresso is a complicated beast of a drink, and grind quality is a huge part of that. A good barista will spend at least 15 minutes “dialing in” their £2000+ grinder each morning - which constitutes grinding quite a lot of coffee trying to fine tune the grinder it until it tastes good (there are other variables adjusted, but grind is the keystone). I wouldn’t want to do that with a manual grinder - but I also think trying to recreate high quality espresso at home is a fruitless task. Cafes have often £20,000+ invested in a grinder, machine and water system, and good cafes employ very experienced staff. It’s a time consuming thing to learn and get right. Manual/non-espresso brew methods are a lot more achievable and affordable.

That’s not to say one can’t make espresso at home - but if you’re particular about your espresso you’ll either develop an expensive obsession or find you’re better off becoming friendly with a good barista who might slip you a few freebies.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

To get back on topic, I took my Aeropress Go on a road/gravel century yesterday where I wanted to be self-sufficient and avoid cafe stops. This is how I put it all together: tub of ground coffee (with the blue lid - Systema salad dressing pots) and Alpkit Kraku stove (in duct tape pouch) inside the Aeropress plunger, this inside a 400ml ti mug, with lighter and sponge (I normally carry this sponge for cleaning pots out when they're used more than once - didn't need it on this occasion but it weighs nothing and stops things moving and rattling/scratching. Mug lid on top and all held together with the mesh bag which just about fits.

Total of 360g, without gas. Before anyone points it out, yes, I know it could be much lighter if I used a meths stove but I'd like my coffee within the hour :wink:

One thing I noticed is the metal filter I have was too thick to allow the filter holder to lock in easily - something to check if you're planning to use one. I would have been somewhat aggrieved if having found myself a nice Audax hotel 50 continuously wet miles in, I couldn't press my coffee out, or worse, chucked it over the inside of said bus shelter wrestling with it.

redefined_cycles

Very compact... very clever. One thing (if anyone doesn't mind me saying) I've noticed is that people aren't actually taking their grinder and raw beans with them. What I've read about is that within (or was it after) 15 minutes or so of grounding recently roasted coffee, it starts losing its flavour.

Hence if we really wanna keep the thread 'pure' and a proper reflection of the title, shouldn't 'one' try to take 'ones' grinders on route with 'oneself'...

Just saying thats all :grin:

[edit: thanks for sharing that setup btw NW as its put me back on track to (I really could do with) wanting that swanky grinder mentioend previously. The Hario is doing amazing in the interim though and can't wait to get it out there in the wild... maybe on the 26th July ride...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Bikepacking's all about compromise Shaf :wink:

Not that I'm suggesting it's at all optimal, but I tend to treat the Aeropress as a more convenient cafetiere these days and grind quite coarsely and brew for longer (I prefer a stronger, more full-bodied coffee anyway). The coarse grind will oxidise more slowly, though I don't know whether you'd actually notice the difference. Probably not in a bus shelter in the pissing rain anyway :lol:
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Coffee is best freshly ground, but having a coffee in a scenic location on a well deserved break maybe has bigger impact on flavour ;)

Before owning a grinder, I used to grind coffee into portioned ziplocks at work the night before/morning of leaving on a trip. This was on an EK43, which is about the industry leader in grinders (and is made to a standard in unachievable for home set ups - aside from those with an excess of cash and obsession). It was still tasty on day 4.

I might’ve noticed some staleness had I not been sitting on a beach in Dorset for sunrise.

To confuse things, A more knowledgeable roasting friend suggested that a high-end cafe/roaster grinder (such as an EK43) might produce a better coffee even a day or so after roasting than a good home grinder (such as the hario or MBK). I’ve never done a test on this.
Last edited by oreocereus on Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
redefined_cycles

Right... I've heard enough. I'm having a coffee
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:28 am One thing I noticed is the metal filter I have was too thick to allow the filter holder to lock in easily - something to check if you're planning to use one.
That's good to know. I was planning on getting a stainless filter once I've used up the disposable ones. Is yours the sort with the support band around the edge? I see there are several manufacturers. making metal filters for the aeropress.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

oreocereus wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:47 pm Coffee is best freshly ground, but having a coffee in a scenic location on a well deserved break maybe has bigger impact on flavour ;)
Couldn't agree more!
oreocereus wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:47 pm To confuse things, A more knowledgeable roasting friend suggested that a high-end cafe/roaster grinder (such as an EK43) might produce a better coffee even a day or so after roasting than a good home grinder (such as the hario or MBK). I’ve never done a test on this.
I remember reading somewhere recently about purposefully leaving coffee to partially oxidise after grinding. Unfortunately I can't remember where I read it, or any of the details :roll:
sean_iow wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:44 am
thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:28 am One thing I noticed is the metal filter I have was too thick to allow the filter holder to lock in easily - something to check if you're planning to use one.
That's good to know. I was planning on getting a stainless filter once I've used up the disposable ones. Is yours the sort with the support band around the edge? I see there are several manufacturers. making metal filters for the aeropress.
I was using the type with the mesh inside a support band, but I've just tried it with my other filter which is the solid (laser-cut?) disc type and it fits much better.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Someone sent me this the other day. Funniest thing I've seen in ages :lol:

https://briping.com/
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 pm Someone sent me this the other day. Funniest thing I've seen in ages :lol:

Lol... is that for real. Is it gonna change the world??
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

At that point just freebase caffeine.
99percentchimp

Post by 99percentchimp »

thenorthwind wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:20 pm Someone sent me this the other day. Funniest thing I've seen in ages :lol:
Looks like a more complex version of the Mate Tea gourds/silver bombillas used all over South America... that should hit the spot for caffeine intake!
Conquistador of the pointless
https://www.flickr.com/photos/99percentchimp/
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

At the risk of getting lynched, has anyone tried refillable coffee bags? I'm an aeropress fan at home, but I've seen these bags and thought they would be the lightest solution?
redefined_cycles

PaulE wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:01 pm At the risk of getting lynched, has anyone tried refillable coffee bags? I'm an aeropress fan at home, but I've seen these bags and thought they would be the lightest solution?
Tried summat similar at work once but it was just prefilled. Wasn't too bad to be fair and quite smooth and tasty
redefined_cycles

Didn't sell it to me well enough to want to get some bags though