Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Matt C

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by Matt C »

Mike wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm :-bd well I'm in possession of a ortlieb coffee dripper thingy now and I can say its bloody fab. Used it in Scotland this week and what with my fresh coffee in the mornings what could be better than sat by a loch in -2 degrees at 7am :wink:
Good stuff! Short of carrying an espresso machine and a genny, I think it's the best you'll get out and about.. :grin:
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Are you carrying spare pegs for it Mike? Or do you nick them from your shelter? (If it's the one that uses pegs to support itself on your mug)

Also, what do you do with the paper filter afterwards?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes I just use em from the shelter when I need them. As for the paper I usually either throw it a river or hang it next to the dogshit bag in a tree for some else to pick up :wink:
dgowenlock

Post by dgowenlock »

Mike wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:08 pm :-bd well I'm in possession of a ortlieb coffee dripper thingy now and I can say its bloody fab. Used it in Scotland this week and what with my fresh coffee in the mornings what could be better than sat by a loch in -2 degrees at 7am :wink:
Would love to hear where you sourced it :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I tried finding one on the Internet and had no joy at all everywhere they have been discontinued. Then James stepped up and offered me his old one which I jumped at. Good luck trying to find one if you do they are fab for what they are!
dgowenlock

Post by dgowenlock »

Mike wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:42 pm I tried finding one on the Internet and had no joy at all everywhere they have been discontinued. Then James stepped up and offered me his old one which I jumped at. Good luck trying to find one if you do they are fab for what they are!
Thank you :)
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

If you hunt round you can find non-bleached/recycled paper filters. If you tip the coffee grounds out on the floor, then you can squish up the remaining soggy paper to almost nothing, easy to pack out or if you have to chuck them I reckon they would biodegrade basically while you watch..!
Mike

Post by Mike »

Matt, where have u found the recycled papers from? I generally bin the grinds but take the papers to a bin with rest of my rubbish.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

dgowenlock wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:47 pm
Mike wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 12:42 pm I tried finding one on the Internet and had no joy at all everywhere they have been discontinued. Then James stepped up and offered me his old one which I jumped at. Good luck trying to find one if you do they are fab for what they are!
Thank you :)
What bout this as an alternative. Would mean you could use without pegs to stabilise it too??

https://www.trekkinn.com/outdoor-mounta ... &gclsrc=ds
FLV

Post by FLV »

Montbell do a very similar thing to that ortlieb one but it doesnt use re-usable filters as its just a fine mesh with stiffeners in it to hold its shape. Also needs pegs / sticks.

Not a cheap item though.
https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... 2-4-p13106

Guess once emptied you could pop it in a ziplock bag to keep it from contaminating other stuff.

The only issue I have is that these are 2 cup systems. I generally only take 1 cup and an msr mugmate (which is actually a pain to pack
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Mike wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:17 am Matt, where have u found the recycled papers from? I generally bin the grinds but take the papers to a bin with rest of my rubbish.
I think I got them off Amazon (other society crushing global behemoths are available) was a few years ago though cos I bought a box of 1,000.... The packaging left on them says EDESIA? I use an Aeropress at home now so the box will probably last me til I die.. :roll:
dgowenlock

Post by dgowenlock »

FLV wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 am Montbell do a very similar thing to that ortlieb one but it doesnt use re-usable filters as its just a fine mesh with stiffeners in it to hold its shape. Also needs pegs / sticks.

The only issue I have is that these are 2 cup systems. I generally only take 1 cup and an msr mugmate (which is actually a pain to pack
That looks nice, thanks for sharing. You're right, the two cup thing is a pain. I saw someone above say they managed to make the Ortlieb one work with one cup by pinching the bottom though.

Just saw these in my local bike cafe in London, looks a decent option and not expensive at 50p / go in bulk. Bit wasteful on packaging etc of course:

https://www.freshdrip.com/how-it-works.html
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 am Montbell do a very similar thing to that ortlieb one but it doesnt use re-usable filters as its just a fine mesh with stiffeners in it to hold its shape. Also needs pegs / sticks.

Not a cheap item though.

Guess once emptied you could pop it in a ziplock bag to keep it from contaminating other stuff.

Dave... do you have one of these. If so, whats the taste like after being resused over and over? Thanks in advance
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ive took a punt on the montbell so will post up after it comes.

I have a really small cup somewhere, 300ml i think, so if i take that the whole deal isnt likely to take much more room than my mug mate.
jameso

Post by jameso »

benp1 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:09 am Are you carrying spare pegs for it Mike? Or do you nick them from your shelter? (If it's the one that uses pegs to support itself on your mug)

Also, what do you do with the paper filter afterwards?
Twigs.. or chopsticks? I used twigs anyway
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

FLV wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:57 am The only issue I have is that these are 2 cup systems. I generally only take 1 cup and an msr mugmate (which is actually a pain to pack
Maybe if it doesn't fit in your bags, you could clip it on somewhere...?

[Innocent face]
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Code: Select all

=====    <==== bridge
    /     \
   /       \
  /         \
 / Landslide \
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

:grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Not a cheap item though.

I bought one of the Montbell things. I dug out a folding s2s mug. It all worked fine. The mesh on the montbell thing is quite fine so it takes a few mins to get the water through (a good thing).

Whilst 25quid for a coffee filter is somewhat expensive, I really enjoyed my coffee on Sunday morning on the side of a hill. Recommended by me :-bd
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

So, a relevant question for folk on this thread hopefully - where do you get your coffee from at the moment?

I've been drinking a lot from here: https://baycoffeeroasters.com/ during lockdown. The egyptian Sadamo especially is a lovely drink, as is their Columbian.. but it's always good to try something new. Freshly roasted whole beans only please, I am a proper coffee snob after all...

Some of this stuff is good https://www.coaltowncoffee.co.uk/ and just up the road from me, but at the more expensive end. Anyone doing good offers on 1kg bags posted would be great!

Cheers
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I've been buying a lot more coffee than usual during. Although I'm not drinking any more, I'm making all of it myself, which really illustrates how much I go through, even as a fairly light drinker (typically 2 cups a day). I think I've consumed something in the region of 10kg since March :shock:

Anyway, to answer your question, mostly from https://www.heartandgraft.co.uk/ Disclaimer: One of the founders is an old friend from college, but I've genuinely been impressed by the quality, even in comparison to other speciality roasters. I tend to order a kilo of Barnraiser (a fairly balanced low acidity blend) for daily drinking, and a couple of smaller bags of more interesting stuff for the weekends. They offer a 30% discount if you work for the NHS which makes the prices extremely reasonable.

I'm lucky to have a few good local roasters too, so I'll give them a shout-out:
https://baristocracycoffee.com/ A one-family band run by a keen cyclist
https://www.flatcapscoffee.com/ A top barista who's run a cafe in town for years, now doing his own roasting
https://www.tynemouthcoffee.com/
https://www.ouseburncoffee.co.uk/
https://www.pumphreys-coffee.co.uk/
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Perfect - thanks. I'll definitely check some of those out. :-bd

And I'm with you on the volume front. I've always drunk a lot of coffee, but during lockdown we seem to be going through roughly 3kg of beans a month! That is with me and the wife both working from home/drinking the stuff constantly, but it's still getting to the point where a cheaper supplier for every other batch would start to make sense...

Anyone else got any recommendations? :geek:
Boab

Post by Boab »

If I'm buying fancy coffee beans, then it's Hasbean, or a local place, Hot Numbers. Otherwise it's just supermarket own brand Columbian.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Matt C wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:51 pmit's still getting to the point where a cheaper supplier for every other batch would start to make sense...

Anyone else got any recommendations? :geek:
Where are you base Matt? There’s been an explosion of specialty roasters and cafes in the UK in the last 3-5 years. There’s a good chance there’s something local to you, and it might be nice to support them so you can still go to their cafes whenever it becomes appropriate to frequent cafes again. On the price front, if someone was ever buying 3kg a month from places I’ve worked, we’d have happily given them a small 10% discount - another reason to support local if you can ;)

Generally the pricing in specialty coffee is pretty consistently £8+ for a 250g bag. As you know, £12 is pretty normal and £15+ isn’t that rare :eek:
Generally blends are cheaper than single origins, and though less glamorous, are more forgiving for home brewin.

Otherwise there’s quite a few “subscription” services now. I signed up to pact for a few weeks as they were giving a way a v60 as a sign up bonus, and they were decent. Loads of others.
And many roasters are doing a subscription now as well. Generally they work out cheaper than buying bags individually. Some let you chose the coffee, some do a “lucky dip” type thing.
Matt C

Post by Matt C »

Cheers! Some good info there. I'm down in South Wales (just north of Cardiff) so there are a few local places that I've tried over the years. Always good to have more options though. Might look into a subscription type deal as we definitely drink enough to make it worthwhile. It's that or buy a roaster myself and start hitting up the wholesale importers.. :lol: (* joking - I have enough daft hobbies and I suspect the better half would string me up...)