Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BigdummySteve

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by BigdummySteve »

Boundless Voyage Titanium Coffee Filter with Bracket Indoor Outdoor Camping Trav... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083KDPQZF/ ... XEb38M0772

How about this at 34g ?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
techno

Post by techno »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 3:02 am Boundless Voyage Titanium Coffee Filter with Bracket Indoor Outdoor Camping Trav... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B083KDPQZF/ ... XEb38M0772

How about this at 34g ?
https://www.outdoorgb.com/p/GSI_Outdoor ... Java_Drip/
12g & £9 & more packable
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

This is whole new world to me....I just put the coffee grains in my trangia kettle, leave it for a bit then strain it through whatevers handy...then it goes into my trangia pot to be drunk along with the bits of porridge that are leftover from breaky.
Boab

Post by Boab »

bluebus200 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:26 pm This is whole new world to me....I just put the coffee grains in my trangia kettle, leave it for a bit then strain it through whatevers handy...then it goes into my trangia pot to be drunk along with the bits of porridge that are leftover from breaky.
🤢
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:33 pm Perfect James!
That titanium one is very appealing.
Although the aluminium ones with spouts are very cheap! Have you tried one?
I've got a couple of moka pots at home, the 3-cup size Bialetti design (mini jug rather than spout type). 2-3 cup in Italian coffee measures is about 100ml I'd guess, the 1-cup really is espresso size but not quite the strength.

They do make great coffee and they work better on a gas stove than on a hob in the kitchen, unless your kitchen has a very small gas ring. 2 1/2 mins to brew a 2-3 cup moka pot on a low burn with my MSR Pocket Rocket. So not too daft to think you could use a spout version and just have a ti mug at the ready, maybe. Have thought about getting a 1-cup, trimming the handle and top knob and just accepting making 2 small brews since they're fast and fuel-efficient.

I'm not sure how the volume + weight of meths and kit for my cowboy coffees would compare to a 100g gas can, a 45g ebay stove and a 1-cup moka pot but I am nerding out over it generally. Number of days for the trip and fuel needs, value of good coffee vs passable caffeine fix, quality of experience ... whether in Italy or not :smile:
This is whole new world to me....I just put the coffee grains in my trangia kettle, leave it for a bit then strain it through whatevers handy...
A perfectly acceptable camping coffee I reckon. I'd pass if 'whatever's handy' is your sock but otherwise all ok : )
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Porlex arrived, very nice coffee , incredibly clean I may have to try a metal filter as I'm used to a bit of residue from my machine and I believe they let a bit more stuff through it
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

bluebus200 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:26 pm This is whole new world to me....I just put the coffee grains in my trangia kettle, leave it for a bit then strain it through whatevers handy...then it goes into my trangia pot to be drunk along with the bits of porridge that are leftover from breaky.
I usually make coffee "cowboy style" when I'm travelling light too, though I draw the line at mixing it with porridge bits (I usually make the coffee first, drink it, and then rinse it for porridge, if I'm not in a hurry). When it comes down to it, my most important criterion is strength, and I'd rather drink nothing than instant.
firestarter wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:09 pm Porlex arrived, very nice coffee , incredibly clean I may have to try a metal filter as I'm used to a bit of residue from my machine and I believe they let a bit more stuff through it
The metal filters are just more practical all-round in my view. Dunno about letting more through, I can't remember the last time I used a paper filter, but I do get a bit of residue depending on the grind.

In less portable news, I bought myself a Rok manual espresso machine for home last week because, although I love the Aeropress, it doesn't make true espresso, and I was missing it. So far so good.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

have you tried an aeropress...I have one at home, makes a fine coffee. Lighter to carry than a moka..
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Erm... back a bit :wink:
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

ah yes and in some detail! I used to live with some speed addicts who had similar conversations...it doesn't taste as nice but I reckon you could get quite a bit in an aeropress.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

bluebus200 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 6:18 pm ah yes and in some detail! I used to live with some speed addicts who had similar conversations...it doesn't taste as nice but I reckon you could get quite a bit in an aeropress.
Some recipes used quite a lot of coffee (I’ve seen some upward of 35g) in an attempt to emulated espresso concentrations.
thenorthwind wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 5:19 pm The metal filters are just more practical all-round in my view. Dunno about letting more through, I can't remember the last time I used a paper filter, but I do get a bit of residue depending on the grind.
Metal filters will let through more oils and non solubles. A lot of the time people refer to it as stronger - it won’t have any more caffeine than an equivalent coffee through paper, but it does make a fuller bodied (both in flavour and texture) drink that is, depending on your preferences “more flavorful” or alternatively “muddier.”

If you like your coffee “strong” or “intense” a metal filter and immersion brew method (eg cafetière) probably suits. If you like subtle/delicate flavors, paper filter methods (v60 for example) can bring those out more.
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

I met some russian bike Packers once who were chewing freshly ground coffee with sugar then swilling it down with a shot of vodka! I quite liked it but it gave my cousin a panic attack... I'm not sure the quality of the grind was greatly appreciated mind..
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

Cheers oreo I'll have a play around with it
MendipMuddler

Post by MendipMuddler »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:14 pm
Mart wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 pm Also these, GSI Outdoor Ultralight Java Drip things, which weigh in at 12g, these also don't require filter papers

https://rockrun.com/products/gsi-ultral ... gL1GfD_BwE
Mart... do you have this one.. is that reusable filyer cloth thing easy enough to clean post brewing? Sounds good...
I've got one also and swear by it, although I don't use it as a drip, I dunk it.
Mike French Creative - Outdoor Environmental Photography & Design
MendipMuddler

Post by MendipMuddler »

:o
Mike French Creative - Outdoor Environmental Photography & Design
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

you mean to say you dont hard boil some eggs in that water first before using it for coffee. whatawaste
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

😂 of course... Anything to save water... Drinking coffee out of the porridge pan really just part of washing up. After you've boiled you're egg and eaten your porridge..... Drink the washing up!
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

On a trench digging exercise once in the army I used half of a cup of tea to shave in to save warming some more water lol
jameso

Post by jameso »

I met some russian bike Packers once who were chewing freshly ground coffee with sugar then swilling it down with a shot of vodka!
Minimal and direct in every way :-bd
I've got as far as dusting a poptart with an instant coffee sachet and following up with a proplus, mainly as I was low on water as well as dozing off mid-afternoon. Wasn't great but it worked.

This am I made a moka-pot coffee on the gas stove with a redirect pipe off the upper 'volcano' spout so it fed direct into a mug rather than pooling in the pot on top. Using a spoke to support and keep the rubber pipe from covering the vent holes it worked well, no pressure build up drama. Next step would be to cut up the top section to remove the unwanted pot/top part but even doing that would leave a fairly bulky item to pack.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm quite tempted by the chew + vodka method. Is the sugar really necessary, do you think?
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

[quote=jameso post_id=217679 time=1590051852

Apologies James,
I meant had you tried the ti one or the spout versions?
Being of eye-ti blood ,(pun intended!) ,We own many versions of the bialetti style pots.
I still have one my mother brought over when she landed in England after the war.
However never seen a spout version in operation,and wondered if the ti version tastes the same.
I have a stainless steel version and it tastes different using the same brand of beans. Also have a version with a China upper chamber,lower tank is aluminium.
Anyone else tried the ti version?
Insanity over vanity
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

bluebus200 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 pm I met some russian bike Packers once who were chewing freshly ground coffee with sugar then swilling it down with a shot of vodka! I quite liked it but it gave my cousin a panic attack... I'm not sure the quality of the grind was greatly appreciated mind..
If I come across any, I'll always buy some chocolate coffee beans. Roasted beans covered in dark chocolate. A bit gritty to eat, but I love 'em. You can keep the vodka. I've chewed whole beans on night shifts sometimes. OK when you get used to them.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 9:49 pm Apologies James,
I meant had you tried the ti one or the spout versions?
Sorry yes, you did say the spout and I waffled on about the std pot version.. not tried the spout type, no - apart from attaching a silicone tube and a spoke support to the std moka pot. Or the Ti one, which does look tempting in the 200ml size but I can only find it on Aliexpress for more £ than I'm prepared to pay for coffee kit.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:49 am It's here :grin:

The lock-down has brought about a profound change in the pace of my bivis. Previously there's many a bivi where I didn't even take a stove to save time I'm now going to grind my coffee beans in the morning to make sure they are fresh :smile:
Thanks Sean. After opening that thread last night and doing a bit of digging I realised that it must've been the Porlex you had with you in your vid :-bd