Something for the coffee snobs.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

oreocereus

Re: Something for the coffee snobs.

Post by oreocereus »

Home roasting is a seriously crazy hobby (from the few I’ve met who do it) with the associated crazy costs. :shock:

Don’t know any of the welsh roasters, I’ve only spent an afternoon in Cardiff a couple of years back, but I’d be surprised if there weren’t a Multitude of options :)

As slightly relative aside, last time I was in South Wales, for a trip in Brecon, we decided to dry out in a motel in Ystradgynlais. I watched the young man who asked if we wanted coffee with breakfast carefully shake some supermarket brand instant into a Cafetière, let it steep for 4 minutes, before carefully and slowly plunging it. Charming in memory, if not on the tongue :)
Last edited by oreocereus on Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

By the time you've faffed about nicking pegs from your shelter or looking for twigs, so you can use the montbell one above, you might as well just get the gsi java drip. The plastic support legs also let it stand up on the ground

I haven't compared mine to other set ups, but I did do a fair amount of research before buying it. A lot lighter than an aeropress.
Owen

Post by Owen »

Some of this stuff is good https://www.coaltowncoffee.co.uk/ and just up the road from me, but at the more expensive end.
Not entirely useful to your search for other bean sources, but I'll add a thumbs up for them - the coffee is good, mail order from them has been quick and easy. My family are from around Ammanford, visits to the main roastery and espresso bar were a very pleasant surprise. Bit trendier than you might expect for that neck of the woods but really nice, and friendly too
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

oreocereus wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:10 am Home roasting is a seriously crazy hobby (from the few I’ve met who do it) with the associated crazy costs. :shock:
This reminded me of a little video I saw someone posted on Facebook the other day where he roasted some beans in on a cast iron skillet in his chimnea. I'm sure it wasn't the most refined roast, but a nice way to pass a couple of hours and I bet the smell is amazing. I think there's a green beans option on some of Heart and Graft's coffees so I'm tempted to get 250g and see how much I can ruin them with fire :cool:

https://youtu.be/r2CB-CGzN-4
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Ehtiopean coffee is typically served with the beans pan roasted just before brewing.

I used to work with an ethiopean guy who also ran a small cafe where they did this.

It smells amazing, it is a really nice experience, served out of "the mother" - something like this

In coffee snob world, it tastes a bit burnt and very unrefined, and is very thick and intense tasting.

But a "ceremony" it's one of my favourite memories of any drink or food I've consumed.

I suppose the lesson there is context is imporant - I have the scales, timer, and expensive grinder out at home. But i'll always prefer the experience of waking up under a tarp and sharing a brew with a good friend on a chilly morning, to the precise flavours I can get at home.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

A very important point. It's a point that's made very well in an article Brendan Leonard wrote on his blog Semi Rad a few years ago (I've tried, but for the life of me can't find it unfortunately), about how a cup of sub standard instant coffee might be the best cup of coffee in the right circumstances... shared with a friend at kitchen table at 3 in the morning, for example.

I've often remembered it because it's a point applicable to lots of things, and it's easy to get carried away with seeking the best of things like coffee. Bikes for one. "The best bike is the one you're riding" being an expression of this.

I was reminded of it again today listening to a craft beer podcast - another area where it's easy to get carried away and snobbish. The guy, from Weird Beard Brew Co, was asked to describe his perfect happy hour - normally brewers will name drop their favourite beer/brewery, but this guy specified Sagres, the Portuguese equivalent of Carling, as it reminded him of being on the beach with his girlfriend.

Anyway, on a totally different subject, does anyone want a pack of Aeropress filters? I got one with my Aeropress Go, but I always use metal filters so don't need them. Still sealed but will split to post so they can go large letter. "Free" for a small donation to the Bear.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

thenorthwind wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:33 pm Anyway, on a totally different subject, does anyone want a pack of Aeropress filters? I got one with my Aeropress Go, but I always use metal filters so don't need them. Still sealed but will split to post so they can go large letter. "Free" for a small donation to the Bear.
Yes please. I'll PM you my details.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

:-bd Sold!
jameso

Post by jameso »

Coffee experts - I've been sent 2 x 250g bags of nice beans but I don't have a grinder. Will I destroy my Nutribullet if I put a handful in there? Any other way to do it? How long (before they go off) do I have to find a proper grinder if the blender's not an option? Thanks :-bd
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

jameso wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am Coffee experts - I've been sent 2 x 250g bags of nice beans but I don't have a grinder. Will I destroy my Nutribullet if I put a handful in there? Any other way to do it? How long (before they go off) do I have to find a proper grinder if the blender's not an option? Thanks :-bd
If they really are nice coffee beans then I'd grab a grinder. Get the japanese one which is very costeffective James and should last a very very long time.

Thanks for the post btw as it saved me sifting through to find the thread. Regards how long it'd last, try to keep cool/dry and should be fine. AFAIK once it's roasted the 'going off' process begins... Once its ground then that process becomes amplified (alot)...
redefined_cycles

Any snobby snobs (is that what a hardcore snob is called)... There's this https://www.pactcoffee.com/christmas/li ... Z6,4DWYG,1

I ordered it for a piece of mountain biking history. Well 'coffee' history in the form of that tin by PACT...

Obviously for the coffee aswell but its a bit much at £20 so it was the tin that was the deciding factor...
Boab

Post by Boab »

jameso wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:33 am Coffee experts - I've been sent 2 x 250g bags of nice beans but I don't have a grinder. Will I destroy my Nutribullet if I put a handful in there? Any other way to do it? How long (before they go off) do I have to find a proper grinder if the blender's not an option? Thanks :-bd
Do you know anyone local with a grinder...? I've ground beans for friends when they've accidentally bought the correct thing...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
jameso

Post by jameso »

K1100T wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:15 am
Do you know anyone local with a grinder...? I've ground beans for friends when they've accidentally bought the correct thing...
: ) I think our neighbour has one as I can hear the darn thing most mornings... a quick google suggested a blade type that I have with the Nutribullet works for all but the very finest grind and all's good - ground fairly fine, made in a moka pot and no suprise, yes it does taste better than the ground Lavazza I was buying.
jameso

Post by jameso »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:44 am If they really are nice coffee beans then I'd grab a grinder. Get the japanese one which is very costeffective James and should last a very very long time.

Thanks for the post btw as it saved me sifting through to find the thread. Regards how long it'd last, try to keep cool/dry and should be fine. AFAIK once it's roasted the 'going off' process begins... Once its ground then that process becomes amplified (alot)...
The bean/grind go-off rate makes sense. Happy to know I can buy beans and grind 50g or so at a time, partic. with kit I already have.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Seems those of you using cloth filters are in good company:

https://youtu.be/dr_I3ZVKKb4
redefined_cycles

thenorthwind wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:28 pm Seems those of you using cloth filters are in good company:

https://youtu.be/dr_I3ZVKKb4
Right... Dave, he lost me at 7 minutes... I'm in and happy to wash the heck out of it and store in fridge/freezer...

Which one do we get to go well with the dangle mug, nice flavour and compactivility (new word)...
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

Shameless plug alert! I've mentioned this before, but an old college friend now runs a roastery in Manchester. I've been buying most of my coffee of them for a while now, and am genuinely impressed with the quality. I thought I'd mention it again since they've upped their NHS discount from an already generous 30% to a frankly ridiculous 50%, and I know there's a few who would qualify on here who might be interested, Shaf for one.

https://www.heartandgraft.co.uk/
redefined_cycles wrote:
redefined_cycles

Ta Dave
redefined_cycles

Bit of a coffee snob Q. Am thinking of reeucing the amount of filter papers I needs. Cotton filters or the hemp ones don't appeal as I dont wish to have the 'smelly sock' syndrome going on.

Anyone used the metal mesh filters instead of paper. Like the Hario one or similar.

https://www.pactcoffee.com/brewing-equi ... al-dripper
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:33 pm Bit of a coffee snob Q. Am thinking of reeucing the amount of filter papers I needs. Cotton filters or the hemp ones don't appeal as I dont wish to have the 'smelly sock' syndrome going on.

Anyone used the metal mesh filters instead of paper.
I've used an Able Disk for years. They do let through a bit more sludge than paper, but not enough to make it an issue.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

Lets say I wanted something ordered and recieved quickly. To make ground coffee (would probably be carrying my grinder) but with slightly less faff...

What'd be your go to option. I'm thinking tentatively about a mini hario (cone) and just carrying lots of spare filter papers...

Thoughts (please)
redefined_cycles

Lets say I wanted something ordered and recieved quickly. To make ground coffee (would probably be carrying my grinder) but with slightly less faff...

What'd be your go to option. I'm thinking tentatively about a mini hario (cone) and just carrying lots of spare filter papers...

Thoughts (please)
dgowenlock

Post by dgowenlock »

thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

K1100T wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:00 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:33 pm Bit of a coffee snob Q. Am thinking of reeucing the amount of filter papers I needs. Cotton filters or the hemp ones don't appeal as I dont wish to have the 'smelly sock' syndrome going on.

Anyone used the metal mesh filters instead of paper.
I've used an Able Disk for years. They do let through a bit more sludge than paper, but not enough to make it an issue.
I use something very similar (though a lot cheaper) in my Aeropress - thanks for the reminder, I've been meaning to order a second for my Go. Agree that you probably get a bit more "sludge" (probably dependent on your grinder/beans though), though I don't dislike that - some use an Aeropress for that very "clean" style of coffee, but it's mainly a convenience thing for me and I prefer a bit more body.
redefined_cycles

This is what I've gone with. Hopefully the weight saved with reusablebag, willallowmeto* take the lovely grinder and brew 2 cups inside the cooking pot.

Thanks Oreocerus. I even opted for 'happy with reused packaging' at checkout at the eco shop.

*sorry... but ain't the brain amazing