MYOG Strap Deck bag

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

drjon

MYOG Strap Deck bag

Post by drjon »

I decided to make a specific bag for use with the Strap Deck - which replaces a bottle cage with a place to solidly mount, well, anything, really. full disclosure - the Strap Deck is my design! :-)~

The bag is a basic tube design, with a roll top closure and is 11cm diameter and 26cm length with 4 folds. the lower section is VX33 Camo - and the top section is Liteskin LS42. this is probably not as wear resistant as the VX33 x-Pac so its useful to mix and match - LS42 to reduce weight and VX33 for the lower section where straps and attachment to the Strap Deck is. LS42 is slippery to sew but easy enough and is strong and pliable so good for roll top closures.

there is then a light polyamide webbing sewn onto the VX33 with room for 2 straps, positioned correctly for the Deck. I made them with plenty of room as I like to use voile straps due to their tackiness - but simple velcro will do grand too.

sewing nerd detail - Apex buckle and the roll top is made by using 2 layers of thin 20mm polyamide webbing with a plastic shim stock sandwiched in-between for stiffness and hence bomber closure.

Its pretty neat - and I'm slowly getting better with a sewing machine!

More on the Strap Deck and other similar parts over at http://www.bikepacking.com/index/cargo- ... hing-bags/ - the bag is very very similar to the Revelate Polecat I think a wee bit svelter as I'm going to be using it primarily under the downtube and wanted plenty of crank clearance. The Oveja Negra Bootlegger is similar as well, and I have used one of those with a wolf tooth B-rad in the past - but found it mounted a wee bit low with my bottle cage bolt drilling.

keep stitching chaps!