sticking GoPro alloy adaptor Garmin outFront mount

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

sticking GoPro alloy adaptor Garmin outFront mount

Post by redefined_cycles »

After reading about how the Blue Araldite has a stronger bond than the red, I used it to attach using my MTBbatts Lumenator light to the underneath of a Garmin Upfront mount. I scraped away the sheen from the mount and used the araldite to create a nice bond to the plastic Garmin mount undercarriage.

This allowed me to run my Wahoo Bolt (by scraping a tiny bit of innards from the inside of the garmin mount) perfectly central on the stem and leave more hand room as well as simultaneously being able to charge the Wahoo on the fly (Wahoo mount is in line with the bars so cannot charge as the port is in line with the front of the handlebars).

This all worked for around 4000 miles (a success story you could say) but then on Sundays long commute (84.5 miles I will have you know :lol: ), the constant roughness of the Yorkshire roads finally got the better of the epoxy and the light fell off (luckily didn't get caught in my brakes).

So, the Q is, anyone got any suggestions of how to create a stronger bond! My working theory is that I should use some inner tube between the surfaces which will hopefully take up the vibrations and hopefully I won't get a recurrence ...

Thanks in advance for your advanced knowledge :-bd

redefined_cycles

Re: sticking GoPro alloy adaptor Garmin outFront mount

I think the answer just came to me... 3M VHB ! :wink:
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

Can you not just bolt it in? Or in the orientation 90 degrees out?
redefined_cycles

Yup... bolts are 90 degrees out on both the wahoo and garmin mounts...
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Circular aluminium plate with 4 holes, 90 degrees apart - 2 oriented for the light and 2 oriented for the mount.
Attach plate to light, with countersunk screws, offer the plate up to the mount and screw from below.

?
redefined_cycles

belugabob wrote:Circular aluminium plate with 4 holes, 90 degrees apart - 2 oriented for the light and 2 oriented for the mount.
Attach plate to light, with countersunk screws, offer the plate up to the mount and screw from below.

?
Hmmm... could work if the alu plate eas thick enough to get a thread going. But finding such a plate and then something to make the thread would be a bit of a faff right...

So far I'm gonna work on 2 fronts. Have ordered some VHB 3m doublse sided (been using on my phone with the deadlock for years now and been good although granted the phone back isn't proper smooth alloy). Thats option 2 in case 1 doesn't work.

Option 1. Ordered some 3m type velcro (can't remember the name) which is seen on youtube with a kg ball being held up and thrown down with it. If that works then it would be such a cool option when leaving bike outside (dont often do that) when at a certain workplace as its just the half of the mount that stays and would come off in a split second!

Will update soon (price= 1.99 and 99p respectively) :smile:
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

redefined_cycles wrote:
belugabob wrote:Circular aluminium plate with 4 holes, 90 degrees apart - 2 oriented for the light and 2 oriented for the mount.

?
Hmmm... could work if the alu plate eas thick enough to get a thread going. But finding such a plate and then something to make the thread would be a bit of a faff right...
Was thinking that the Garmin mount might have threaded holes (never seen one, though, so not sure) and the light mount too. This would leave the aluminium plate with just countersunk holes (2 from each side)

I could post you a piece of aluminium, if you wanted to try it (let me know the diameter of the circle, and I'll cut you a suitable sized square, for you to file into shape)
redefined_cycles

The garmin mount has holes on the inside with a nut wedged into them. Thats how you can screw something in from the bottom and use a mini bolt to gain purchase on that. Let me give these options of the velcro (daft idea I know) and the VeryHighBond3M a shot first and will get in touch if a thick peice of alu is indeed needed (which it might but w shall see).

Will keep you all updated on what I manage to get away with
redefined_cycles

Quick update... first i tried some hook and loop which was shown to be suprisingly strong (by 3M which might explain it... like a mushroom on mushrooms type velcro) but althiugh it appeared strong when pulling on thw downforce . It had too much flimsiness with side ti side wobble...

Sogotsome of the 3mVHB and that seems a stronger attachment.. will tether it and see how it goes. Seems to be handling a pulling force or around 7 to 8 nm