Modifying ortleib pannier suggestions

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Al

Modifying ortleib pannier suggestions

Post by Al »

I've got a trip coming up where I will be carrying two people's worth of gear.

Have an old set of front roll top ortleib paniers from commuting years ago. Testing them out I'd forgotten how rattly and annoying they are! Also the bags are pretty heavy before you put anything in them.

I'd like to convert them to a hookless mounting system using velcro straps. Has anyone done something similar or could recommend a good strap based attachment system design?

The rack is a tubus vega.
woodsmith

Re: Modifying ortleib pannier suggestions

Post by woodsmith »

You could do something like the velcro-webbing straps I did on my panniers here..viewtopic.php?f=13&t=20182 This rack is a Tubus Vega.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Use the right size insert in the original hooks and also use the addition rubber bungee hook that attaches to the ladder buckle in the middle of the back and they rattle hardly at all IME.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Al

Post by Al »

I the end I decided I didn’t have time and as I would not be making a habit of using them it wasn’t worth making major alterations.

Looking at the new ‘gravel’ panniers ortlieb do they have two of the lower hooks, so I ordered a couple from sjs and added them to the rail. This was quite a big improvement and well worth doing.

They still weigh a ton though :lol: