Turn any bivvy into a hooped bivvy*.

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Turn any bivvy into a hooped bivvy*.

Post by ScotRoutes »

stevewaters wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 9:02 am
That's just using the pole that came with my Lunar Solo. I already had a loop of elastic on the bivvy bag but there is so much flex in the pole that a short piece of guyline would do the trick. A mat inside the bivvy bag would give it more shape and open the vent up a lot more. The setup could be easily replicated with a branch, as long as the straps were long enough.
Do you mean a guyline from the bivvy bag end of the pole back to the top of the handlebars to minimise pole flex ?
No, just a short guy line from the "lifter" in the middle of the mesh panel to the end of the pole.

The reason it has elastic on it at the moment is that I attach it to the underside of my tarp and that has less give.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 5:08 pm I've just made a 2m long one from 3mm. Seems fine, a little sturdier than the 2mm but still highly flexible. Weighs 22g. I think I'll have a go at a quick permavent tarp and see whether it'll hold that up ... I would have made some spreader poles for a hammock tarp if someone had bothered to tell me the dimensions :wink:
Oh, just spotted this and thought you cheeky bugger, I know I messaged you back with all the details from the Warbonnet site, I was wondering why you'd been so quite matey. Off I trot to the PM bit of the site and this is what I found:
Cheeky Monkey wrote:Mon May 11, 2020 9:40 pm I spent ages writing a description and then found this:

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/produ ... e-mod-kit/

It's for the Cloudburst tarp so needs to be the (mahoosive) long versions:
Long Pole Kit:

Fits: Cloudburst tarps only

Includes (two) collapsible 71.5″ shockcorded poles with panel pull attachment cord.

0.275″ diameter Aluminum

Weight: 5.68oz/pair

Breaks down into 4 sections approx 19″

When installing the poles, it’s a good idea to loop the cord over the tip of the pole and also wrap it around the tip once so it is more secure for windy conditions.
Viable?
Only slight problem is that (and I haven't managed to copy out the header info on the message) I sent it to myself. How the flip did I manage that? :lol: :shock: :roll: :oops:

So, sorry Stu, I wasn't being an ignorant dick :cool: And I'd still like to know if you could do them. Pretty please. With a cherry on top. And a big cuddle. Maybe even a "promise" :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought you'd fell out with me :wink:

Leave it with me but I reckon that could be a goer. The only possible issue is that they can't be corded but obviously once in place they can't really go anywhere so perhaps I'm just over thinking that bit.

With regard to the ends - would something like a cord loop on each end do the trick?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:41 pm Thought you'd fell out with me :wink:

Leave it with me but I reckon that could be a goer. The only possible issue is that they can't be corded but obviously once in place they can't really go anywhere so perhaps I'm just over thinking that bit.

With regard to the ends - would something like a cord loop on each end do the trick?
No, I thought you'd fell out with ME! Cue girlie tears and emotional-panda-hugs :grin:

Cording - happy to try them without and see what happens at my risk.

Loops - happy to add my own attachments in terms of string, elastic, rope, pubes. I think some form of end that would help avoid a larks foot or similar slipping off as they might if it was a plain-domed-end would be good. But again, happy to try something at my risk.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Stu, what length would each section of the 3mm be? Thinking of some internal spreader poles for a tarp (hammock related) which would be around 3m in length. Material for the tarp arrives next week then we've to sew it and only then will I know the required length.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Stu, what length would each section of the 3mm be? Thinking of some internal spreader poles for a tarp (hammock related) which would be around 3m in length. Material for the tarp arrives next week then we've to sew it and only then will I know the required length.
They won't work for spreaders in 3mm Bob. I made CM some to try and over that length, the 3mm isn't strong enough to hold the shape.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

So not strong enough to push against the tension of the tarp then? I'm meaning like this -

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So not strong enough to push against the tension of the tarp then? I'm meaning like this -
Not sure Bob. I'm assuming Tim had them on the outside, so pulling the tarp rather than pushing against it.

EDIT: Send him a message Bob. If he still has them he may send them across to you.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Yep, I had them on the outside and only really got what I need when double or tripled them up.

Bob's been in touch and I'll send him them when I get back to the uk next week. Itd be good to see them go to someone who'll (try to) use them :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Posted today. Hope they work. Look forward to seeing the results.

:cool:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Arrived this AM, ta. There was a "what the **** have you bought now?" comment :lol:

Initial living room tests suggest that they might have enough resilience to work. Don't know if the extra tension introduced by
tying out a tarp would be too much for the material. Need to make some pockets to fit to the tarp for the ends to slip into and then I can check.

What I'm aiming for is to take the usual ^ cross section of a tarp to something more like ∩ ( if nothing appears after "like" it's meant to be an arch shape.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Let us know how you go on Bob. I recall they're 3mm, I reckon there'd still be enough bend in 4mm but probably not in anything bigger.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 4:31 pm Let us know how you go on Bob. I recall they're 3mm, I reckon there'd still be enough bend in 4mm but probably not in anything bigger.
It needs to bend to a radius of between 90cm & a metre. A bit of searching came across 4mm rod/bar from carbonfibreprofiles.com so if this doesn't work I might ask them if the 4mm will bend to that degree.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It'll all depend on the length Bob.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:00 pm It'll all depend on the length Bob.
Somewhere in the region of 3.0 to 3.2 metres methinks depending on the final design of the tarp and pockets - I've a couple of ideas/designs in mind so ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

We shall watch this space eagerly. :wink:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:00 pm It'll all depend on the length Bob.
Something something bishop, actress...
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:53 pm Arrived this AM, ta. There was a "what the **** have you bought now?" comment :lol:

Initial living room tests suggest that they might have enough resilience to work. Don't know if the extra tension introduced by
tying out a tarp would be too much for the material. Need to make some pockets to fit to the tarp for the ends to slip into and then I can check.

What I'm aiming for is to take the usual ^ cross section of a tarp to something more like ∩ ( if nothing appears after "like" it's meant to be an arch shape.
:-bd
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

stevewaters wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:34 am Nice ! - The alloy poles on my good old Pheonix Phoxhole GoreTex hooped bivvy have split in places and are held together with Gorilla tape, so I am interested in this as a potential replacement. The bag itself is over 20 years old and still works brilliantly well if a tad heavier than the latest models.
I've bound the ends of alloy poles that split, with thick nylon thread & epoxy. It's has held up remarkably well. Note I drilled 0.8mm hole at the end of the crack for stress relief. Else the crack might run again. (Dremmel used)

Picture of repair added
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
methers27

Post by methers27 »

Thread resurrection, but Just wondering if anyone could shed some light for me on two questions that I have

I'm trying to build a small light pole similar to this for a very similar purpose. The pole needs to be 1m long, span a gap of 45cm and form an n shape. Would it be appropriate to use 3mm carbon tubing for this job? or is this asking too much to form such a curve?

Secondly, if I wanted to split this pole into 4 pieces like a conventional tent pole, what is the best way to go about forming joins? I have considered placing a smaller tube within the lumen, but this is somewhat limited by the small gauge of tubing required already. Alternatively I was hoping to find some sort of ferrule to bond externally to the pole, but struggling to find a suitable item, does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
Josh
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm trying to build a small light pole similar to this for a very similar purpose. The pole needs to be 1m long, span a gap of 45cm and form an n shape. Would it be appropriate to use 3mm carbon tubing for this job? or is this asking too much to form such a curve?
3mm carbon tube will snap. You stand a chance with 3mm carbon rod, although don't expect it to provide much tension. Obviously you also lose the option of a centre shock cord.
Secondly, if I wanted to split this pole into 4 pieces like a conventional tent pole, what is the best way to go about forming joins? I have considered placing a smaller tube within the lumen, but this is somewhat limited by the small gauge of tubing required already. Alternatively I was hoping to find some sort of ferrule to bond externally to the pole, but struggling to find a suitable item, does anyone have any ideas?
Use short sections of carbon tube bonded to the rod. If you were using 3mm rod then you'd make the ferrules from 4mm OD / 3mm ID tube or similar.

A simpler solution would be to use some aluminium tent pole sections. Plenty available on-line but you'll likely need to pre-bend / shape them a little.
methers27

Post by methers27 »

thank you for the quick reply, definitely sounds like it's back to the drawing board a bit then. My other thought was to use delrin rod, which might be a better option if I can't run a shock cord through the carbon anyway