my climashield apex 133 quilt

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

shutupthepunx

my climashield apex 133 quilt

Post by shutupthepunx »

spent 14hrs on saturday making this....

comes in at 572grams and cost about 65euro. should be good to 5°.

bought everything from adventurexpert, apart from fabric, which was extremtextil.

fabric at adventure expert was 22g a square m but was pretty much costing 50euro for fabric alone so i went with so 55g/sm stuff from extreme costing 25euro including delivery.

really happy with this. coulda shaved more weight off, but didnt think the upgrade was worth the money. everythings a balance innit.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: my climashield apex 133 quilt

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice. I made a blanket with Apex in it, 'tis good stuff.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Impressive work there is there an online guide or video or some such you followed as I am interested in making one as well.
How much skill is required to make one ?
Ta
shutupthepunx

Post by shutupthepunx »

Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm Impressive work there is there an online guide or video or some such you followed as I am interested in making one as well.
Ta
i looked around at a few different things and then sorta mushed them all together into what i wanted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4ciUndiBg this video was helpful

as was this pdf for measurements/pattern https://kringlelight.files.wordpress.co ... _guide.pdf

and i didnt us this but it kinda sums up the quilt making process in a simple image...

skill wise its hard to say. ive previously made a waistcoat, shirt, skirt, toolroll, feed bag, plenty of pouches and some other bits and bats. all of which really helped me when it came to this project i imagine.

theres nothing complex about making the quilt. i could just imagine it being very frustrating if you don't already know what your (sorta) doing with a sewing machine. give it a go!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

ve previously made a waistcoat, shirt, skirt, toolroll,
Interesting look you are rocking there :lol:

Cheers shame i wont be able to get it all during lockdown but its a massive saving on buying one
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

Nice work. AdventureExpert are really friendly and helpful. We made a couple of quilts late last year, and were on a tight budget - ran into the same trouble of their nice 10d tafetta being quite pricey. They were really helpful and tracked down some seconds and offcuts of both their apex and 10d that weren't listed on the site. One of the seconds was big enough for my full quilt, my partner just had to hand sew two pieces together for hers - saved about 40% of the cost on insulation, about 20% on the liner. In general they were really supportive with loads of my inane questions that come from having minimal sewing experience.
Lazarus wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm Impressive work there is there an online guide or video or some such you followed as I am interested in making one as well.
Ta
My first (and so far only) sewing project was an Apex quilt. It's pretty easy, the only real trouble I ran into was not understanding sewing machines enough to diagnose problems when it was playing up. If you can get the help of someone who has some sewing experience, it'll help a lot. If you're just doing a simple design, it's a pretty simple project, as long as you take it nice and slow.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

thankfully Mrs Lazarus can sew and has a machine so is happy* to do this

* well she agreed so i will take it as that - to be fair she will make two as she is a proper cyclist and does bikepacking.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

FYI adventure expert have some seconds of the excellent 10d taffeta at a decent price + are doing a 10% of sale.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

This is filling me with all sorts of inspiration.. I think climashield might be a better place to start than diving into down, so to speak. (sorry not sorry for the puns)

What would make good value inner and outer layers? I'm not after anything feather light or waterproof. The choices are bewildering!
Image Image
Boab

Post by Boab »

I too quite fancy having a go at this, but have no idea where to start...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
javatime

Post by javatime »

BobCatMax wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:48 pm This is filling me with all sorts of inspiration.. I think climashield might be a better place to start than diving into down, so to speak. (sorry not sorry for the puns)

What would make good value inner and outer layers? I'm not after anything feather light or waterproof. The choices are bewildering!
I used parachute ripstop from e bay for my inner. If you are ok with a longitudinal inner seam the narrow stuff (0.98 metres I think) is cheap.
Would probably be ok for the outer too but I used Skylon from Profabrics for a bit of water repellency.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Thank you for the suggestion, I found some 155 width for £12 for a 2m length. I'm only 5'8" and less than 80kg so I think i can tweak the widths and lengths a bit.

I was thinking 100gsm climashield as I'm a hot sleeper and could also use it over the top of one of my other bags to up the rating.

Looking forward to this.
Image Image
tom84

Post by tom84 »

I am going for 'sensible fabrics as listed above for the outer and the insulation of ours but I was wondering about this 'faux silk stuff for the inner? It says it is light weight, it doesn't have to be uber light, but it has to be roughly practical. It will need a seam because this is for a double quilt.

https://www.fabricland.co.uk/product/sa ... e/#reviews

any thoughts? If not, what is a nice soft inner fabric, the talk of parachute ripstop in this discussion doesn't sound appealing. The plan is for a late spring summer quilt in a tent using a thermal mat
javatime

Post by javatime »

The parachute ripstop I bought is pretty silky, not crinkly. PM me for a sample if that helps.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

could you link the ebay stuff javatime?

and would this work for the outer? link

thank you
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

shutupthepunx wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:45 am
as was this pdf for measurements/pattern https://kringlelight.files.wordpress.co ... _guide.pdf
did you change the measurements to suit?
Image Image
javatime

Post by javatime »

Link to the parachute material that I used.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5m-ARMY-PARA ... 2749.l2649

The material that you linked to looks fine to me, I am sure that AE would advise.

Happy Sewing (and warm sleeping)