2 - 3 season down quilt for girlfriend

Make your own gear? Talk about it here!

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

2 - 3 season down quilt for girlfriend

Post by Alpinum » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Finally... after a break of about 2 months I continued working on the quilt for my girlfriend. Really happy with how it turned out, despite one mistake that causes more an optical issue than anything else - it turned out lovely. 440 g of pure nerdery - I developed and realised some ideas to squeeze utmost performance out of it. The goal was a quilt for warmth down to 0 °C.

All fabrics from Extrem Textil.
Lightest mosquito net for chamber deviders.
7 den ripstop nylon for main panels.
20 den taffeta nylon for outside edges.
80 Alterfil thread and suitable microtex needle. Some thin elastic cord, one cord stopper, 6 self made clamps and a little bit of thin webbing.
Most importantly, hydrophobic down directly from a European manufacturer, some 240 g of 850 cuin. And a little bit of medium Climashield Apex, also from ExTex.

Cut board, rotary cutter, long piece of raceway conduit, chalk and felt tip pen, quilt ruler.

Feeling very pleased :-bd
Working with thin fabrics isn't always easy, but this time I think I got the hang of it.
Looking forward to seeing it in use.
She's heading to the mountains beginning of next week for a solo hike - nervous in a positive way about the feedback.

benp1

Re: 2 - 3 season down quilt for girlfriend

Post by benp1 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 am

Good job Gian, looks pretty mint

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow » Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:16 pm

I like that :-bd Can I ask why the net for the chamber dividers? I had assumed they are made from the same fabric as the outer in a commercial quilt/bag but I've never seen inside one.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum » Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks folks.

Hmmm... not so sure, but I guess pretty much all use net for dividers...
I've not opened many bags, modded a 1st gen Alpkit PD400, my old Rab Quantum 600 and a winter down bag (very cheap bought in Thamel) and they all had net as dividers.

Reasons:
Air circulation.
Lofting and packing.
Also thinking about comfort the light elasticity of a thin net comes to mind. Might add to feeling less restricted.

A very well built bag/quilt is a bitch to pack and also will loft slowly thanks to the tight sewing. Even the thinnest ripstop nylon lets air flow only slowly. If every chamber was separated by ripstop from the next chamber I think packing would really suck. I experience this from my expedition sleeping bag which has a complex design of multiple chambers layered upon each other. It takes time to 'deflate' it. Thus airing and drying is poor show too.
7 den nylon is a fraction lighter then extex's lightest net, but given the area of the fabric for the dividers, the weight saving would be only 3.6 g...

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Cheers. Now you've explained it I can see the logic behind it, I've never really thought about it before.
Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:25 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:12 pm
Cheers. Now you've explained it I can see the logic behind it, I've never really thought about it before.
Same for me. I never really questioned netting vs. ripstop, only which net. Despite brooding on the design for ages.
I quite like such discussions and like to learn from different view points.

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am

In my experience netting for forming internal baffle walls is pretty common.

Good work Gian. Plenty of opportunity to get that wrong :-bd
Always be yourself unless you can be a pirate. In that case, always be a pirate

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Wobbly photo, but it shows the well functioning drawcord tube, sewed on a folded champer with a very tight allowance to not interfere with the chamber height.

mint!

Unfortunately the happy owner was ill last week and stayed in the last couple of days, instead of going hiking in the Alps like she had planned. So no proper feedback 'till now.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:42 am

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:27 am
In my experience netting for forming internal baffle walls is pretty common.

Good work Gian. Plenty of opportunity to get that wrong :-bd
Thanks

Thisisnotaspoon

Post by Thisisnotaspoon » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:20 pm

Do you have a sketch/photo of the overall quilt?

I was thinking of a project to make a quilt/bag with a 'pocket' in the base for a mat. Then a mesh side panel with webbing loops and a drawchord to either allow ventilation or tuck the quilt down onto the mat. Might pick up a cheep and nasty 2nd hand bag to prototype with.

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:56 pm

Thisisnotaspoon wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:20 pm
Do you have a sketch/photo of the overall quilt?
I can post the sketch I drawed in Sketch Up when back home.

Still in Iceland - last day though. My girlfriend used the quilt for this trip and on almost all nights in the highlands we had frost, but she was comfy :-bd