Coast to Coast Bikejor style

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

StuartG

Coast to Coast Bikejor style

Post by StuartG »

Hi all,

I have not posted on here for sometime as other things in my life have been more important than riding and adventures. I have regularly read some of you journeys, often with jealousy.

However, life is starting to get back on track and I am looking forward to a new adventure; this will be a coast to coast run but bikejor style. This is where you work with a pulling dog and is often called urban mushing. I will be doing it with a czech wolfdog. They are an amazing breed and can cover long distances with excellent stamina.

We have a further slight twist in that we will run the route bikepacking style.

The total distance is around 120km, using the Glen Way and will be done over 3 days. The distance will be testing for our first adventure.

Don't worry I am not asking for any sponsorship although ultimately that is one of the aims of the adventure, but I thought you guys and girls may be interested in something that is a little different. The details are on the youtube link below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HRPFmCyMXM

I hope you enjoy.

Stuart
StuartG

Re: Coast to Coast Bikejor style

Post by StuartG »

Here is a picture of us out together.
Attachments
_LIF9763 (6).jpg
_LIF9763 (6).jpg (133.27 KiB) Viewed 6348 times
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

that looks great and a nice looking dog...my dog is far too wee!
FlyingFox

Post by FlyingFox »

Looking forward to hearing how this goes, I've got two large breeds that I would love to take out bikepacking with me but always thought it best to leave them at home.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

We were getting the mileage up and have been around 110 km a week, however, last week we got asked to help with tracking a lost dog. The tracking was successful and we found the dog, which was excellent.

The weather has now changed so looks like we will be moving to very early to late training. I am going to give wild camping a go with him in the next few weeks. We have been away in a campervan but never wild camped - so I am interested to see how he gets on. I am planning on around 5 practice nights out with him, slowly increasing what we do.

FlyingFox - what breeds do you have?
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I had Lucy, my step daughters black lab rescue dog who has just turned two, out wild camping twice now over the last 8 weeks, walking not bikepacking. She took to it very well never straying far from camp. Both nights she woke me at around 4am but I think it was more for reassurance than anything else. She wore her lightweight fleece coat and had a piece of closed cell foam mat and a summer synthetic bag to sleep on or even in if she needed it. She was amazed when I pulled her breakfast from my backpack ready to eat from the plastic tub I'd stored it in and then became deliriously happy at being able to go for a walk straight after packing up.

Good luck to you all.
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Haha, I think Sabre will give me loads of reassurance! However, he is a complete coward and whilst he will give a great growl, he then runs behind my legs and sticks his head round to see if anything scary is still there. A bloody chiwawa scared him the other day.
Attachments
18358812_10155205282069019_4895250763123525803_o (1).jpg
18358812_10155205282069019_4895250763123525803_o (1).jpg (51.28 KiB) Viewed 5891 times
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

This is the current thought process in set-up. I will replace the water bottles with larger containers, as there needs to be enough each day for 2 people. As I cant use a bar bag of any type, due to the bungee lead being connected to the fork stem. I have reverted to carradice front panniers (on the rear) and a saddle bag. It rides okay and handling fine. Just enough foot clearance on the panniers. I am only considering this as I need to carry around 4 to 5kg of meat for the dog, dog lines for the night etc, and the loss of the bar bag has reduced capacity! Other than that going very minimalistic:

- sleeping bag, mat
- bivy and small tarp
- micro stove
- first aid kit
- repair kit and inner
- 1 night time clothes
- food
- water
- dog stuff

Any views?
Attachments
20170513_143545 (3).jpg
20170513_143545 (3).jpg (160.41 KiB) Viewed 5842 times
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Hmmm, after posting that i think I am inclined to go with a small ruck sack and lose the panniers - just not happy with them on any rough terrain. I think I will lose the carradice saddle bag and use the salsa minimalist rack with a cannoe bag on top.
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

Been looking at doing something like this (though probably shorter trips) with my dog, what attachment system are you using? I've never bikejoured before, and usually go with an elastic type lead around the headtube, but looks like you're using one of the 'pole' things?

FWIW, I've had good experience with the ruffwear panniers with my mutt, he can carry his own water and food (for a day or so, not sure about longer).
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

Hi Tom

I use an artic wolf bungee lead connected around the headtube, then have a bikejor arm as this keep the bungee away from the front wheel. https://hooner.co.uk/shop/scooter-and-b ... r-springer

I have a rufferwear pannier set, which I use when walking - but it's not a pulling harness therefore would put too much stress and strain on Sabre in the wrong places.

I am currently using the following:

http://www.k9trailtime.com/shop/canicro ... rness.html

Stuart
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

Aha, that's great, thanks. The arm looks just like what I was looking for but couldn't find. I'm using an artic wolf lead also.

My dog won't pull, he prefers to run alongside, so not sure if the pulling harness is required, will get one and give it a try though!

Following your adventures with interest, hope it all goes well!
StuartG

Post by StuartG »

It takes time for a dog to learn how to pull, basically you are asking them to do something you have trained out of them - pull on a lead- confusing to say the least.

They have to get used to the idea that they are up front but you are their leader, you are their to protect them and are with them all the time.

I started using a walking belt, basically a lead around my waist and a short lead for Sabre to walk in front and then rewarding with treats or good boy when he was pulling the lead out. Then progressed to canicross, which is great as they are now chasing dogs and running in a pack - nearly all dogs will pull then - they want to be part of the fun. You can also teach the command structure of left, right, stop and go etc.

I then went on the bike - took around 6 months to be on the bike, it could have been done quicker but although he is a big dog, he is still quite young. I did this by getting him to chase another dog who was more experienced.

I have only just moved to an artic wolf lead, as he found the lead quite long and his confidence was not enough for him to be that far out away from me. He is fine with it now, but he knows I am close by and will protect him from any ankle biting dog that attacks! He is bloody big but also a big coward!