A few days in the lakes

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

MM-on-POINT

A few days in the lakes

Post by MM-on-POINT »

I decided to ride the course of and the high street in the lakes this week and do it over a few days leisurely, infact all my riding is leisurely!

I arrived in pooley bridge late monday afternoon and headed straight for the bridge to see the extent of the damage from last winters floods...
The damge is complete destruction of a near 300 year old bridge, and it was very sad to see.
They have put in a temporary bridge in and removed all the debris of the old bridge now. Tourism did not seem to be affected by this as it was heaving for a monday evening.

I stopped for dinner in the pooley bridge inn then headed up the mountain a bit for a neolithic circle called the cockpit just at the base of the first serious climb, I set up camp then enjoyed a great sunset and full moon for the evening.
DSC_3348.JPG
(1.7 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
The next day involved taking my bike for a lovely stroll up to the summit of a few peaks, the ground was terribly rutted with grass concealing them until it was to late and you ended up over the bars or the saddle suddenly jualted in to your grine.
But I was enjoying it even though I started to feel the burn... Not muscular but sun burn, I was with out lotion and at the suns mercy or lack of mercy should I say.
I took in the views all day whilst taking plenty of photos and pedaled down the odd few down bits.
DSC_3452.JPG
(3.62 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
I camped for the second night at the top of my final decent and again enjoyed a great sun set.
The morning was very misty and visibility was poor but by the time we packed up all was clear.
We started our decent and again the terrian had us over the bars, slipping out, and few offs off the side of the mountain, we got dead lucky with this and decided not to push our lucks any more, plus my ribs have been though the wars in the last few months and all these offs where doing them world of good...NOT.
We treked down and joined a flat farm track which we could actually cycle back to the main road and in to Windermere for the train home.

I really enjoyed this trip and would do it again with a backpack, views where well worth it even though I got completely burnt...
Attachments
DSC_3553.JPG
(175.94 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
Blair512

Re: A few days in the lakes

Post by Blair512 »

Sounds like a good trip Matt, I've been missing the big hills recently. I'm gonna have to head back up the whw and get it out the way soon!