Mini trip report: bikepacking for beginners on a budget

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Mini trip report: bikepacking for beginners on a budget

Post by thenorthwind »

Just got back from what I guess is my first "bikepacking" trip worthy (almost) of the name. I'm hoping this might help someone else looking at getting into bikepacking, especially without bundles of cash to spend on kit. I've put the current prices of each bit of luggage so people can see how little you can put a basic kit together for, though some of the Alpkit stuff has gone up since I bought it.

I'm no stranger to bivvying, or touring by bike, but this is the first time I've really tried to combine the two. The aim was really to see if I could pack all the kit I needed into the bags I had and attach them to my bike without them falling off.

I live in Newcastle, had a work "away day" near Morpeth and my girlfriend had suggested a Friday night bivvy on the coast, so a plan was hatched: ride to Morpeth in the morning, ride further up and out to the coast after work and meet her and the dog. All on road (though I threw in some byway in the afternoon for interest).

Without further ado, my setup:

The bike is my old hardtail which has been my commuting and utility bike for the 18 months, recently turned rigid (recently as in last thing Thursday night). It's nowt special.

Bar bag - Alpkit Xtra Dual 20l - no harness (£15)
This is strapped directly to my bars. I have add-on drop bars which help to hold it up, but I've put a crosstop lever on one and I had to add an extra strap to stop it bending the awkwardly-placed cable, but this is a problem that I expect is entirely unique to me.
Contents:
2 season down bag (Deuter Treklite 200)
Full length sleeping mat (Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8)
Bivvy bag (Alpkit Hunka XL)
Silk sleeping bag liner
Tarp (Homemade, c. 600g)

Frame bag - Ibera Large (£16 - super budget!)
Mess tin, stuffed with: 2 portions of porridge, 2 sachets of hot chocolate, 2 little boxes of raisins
Small-ish canister-top gas stove and mini (100g?) canister
Homemade groundsheet (c. 200g)
2 plastic spoons

Saddle bag - Alpkit Airlok 13l tapered dry bag - no harness (£18)
Spare tube
Pump
Small (c. 6l) drybag of clothes: merino base layer, clean socks, down jacket, clothes for work)

Top tube bag - Alpkit Fuel Pod medium (£25)
Bike tools - trail tool, puncture repair kit, etc.
Snickers

All my water was carried in the 750ml bottle in the bottle cage, since I knew I'd have ample opportunities to refill. I could do with another cage somewhere for longer trips, or I could always use a hydration bladder but I try to avoid using a backpack if I can help it.

Various other stuff (packable waterproof, GPS, phone, keys, wallet, etc.) was carried in jersey and shorts pockets.

Space was at a bit of a premium - I had no room for the pint of milk I bought, so I resorted to the classic plastic bag tied to bars method. Dinner was fish and chips, so no need to carry anything for that.

Got a few tweaks to make to this setup, but no major problems and a fantastic night out!

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Mini trip report: bikepacking for beginners on a budget

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely job. You're right, it needn't cost a fortune. There's certain items I take that are very budget and I choose them over things which might have cost ten times as much.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

Superb! thats what its all about :-bd

is the missus keen for another go?

my missus is coming on a 'walking bivi' (Unfortunately i'm off the bike with injury) with me n the doggies next week (weather permitting) of course :wink: i don't wanna put her off on her first try .... Or do i??? :lol:
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

is the missus keen for another go?
Yeah, she's usually the one who says "let's go and bivvy." We've done quite a few trips walking - she's not so keen on bikes unfortunately.

I wasn't expecting it to be like that - the first time we went out was a couple of years ago when we couldn't find any decent accommodation for a weekend away. Since the weather forecast was good, with great trepidation, I suggested we go and bivvy in Galloway Forest. She reluctantly agreed, and loved it. It helped that the weather forecast was accurate!

I hope you have as much luck!
Lawmanmx

Post by Lawmanmx »

she sounds like my missus, she aint too keen on bikes either but doesn't mind walking or camping .... Almost perfect :wink: Almost :lol:
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Lucky buggers!! Actually I don't know, maybe I'm the lucky one..... There's not a cat in hell's chance of getting my wife to camp in a tent... bivvying therefore is just not going to happen. At all. Ever.

If I want a day or so of peace and quiet though I only have to start the B-word and I know what the answer will be
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
RIP

Post by RIP »

I remember our "hotel & wives" chat Pickers :-). Maybe the compromise is you book her into a posh hotel, then you sneak in through the window (*) and attach your tarp to some door handles and crash out under that.

(*) Ah, actually I retract that suggestion. I did that once at a Travelodge to share some mates' room - they went in the door and I climbed in via the window. We stashed our kit and 10 seconds later walked out into the corridor to the sound of sirens arriving outside reception!! Purely a coincidence I'm sure.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

I remember our "hotel & wives" chat Pickers
I didn't think you'd bring that up here :grin: Anyway, we quoted for some work for Travelodge. They said they had to upgrade the ventilation because the rooms no longer had opening windows...... They didn't say why but, you know, piecing things together.. :lol:
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
ootini

Post by ootini »

I looked at the ibera frame bag but noticed it doesn't strap to the down tube, does it not flap about ?