Iceland 2015

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Catbaiter

Iceland 2015

Post by Catbaiter »

I'm working on a record of our recent trip to Iceland. But in the meantime, here are some pretty rubbish tips for anyone else planning on doing something similar.

http://icelandicfatfun.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... f-our.html
ootini

Re: Iceland 2015

Post by ootini »

Nice! Is the same Fat bike across Iceland thing I've been following on Facebook?
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Yep. Thanks for following. Though you'll note that we singularly failed to cross the country!
ootini

Post by ootini »

Catbaiter wrote:Yep. Thanks for following. Though you'll note that we singularly failed to cross the country!
Makes no difference! Looks like a seriously epic journey in a country I'd lose a nut to visit! What was the Pingvelir national park like? I've always wanted to go diving at Silfra. Not sure if I missed it, but did you guys visit Gulfoss too?
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

It was pretty epic (the ride and the place).

We went from Reykjavik to Pingvellir, then just north of Gulfoss, then up the Kjolur, then back down it the next day due to horrific weather. After that was a fairly serious day in absolute solitude with the mother of all river crossings. Then Landmannalugur and around the top of Mydalsjojull glacier before heading to the southernmost point at Kotulangi. It was about 650km - 700km in 8 days (we're still trying to work it out properly).

I'll post a link to the write up when it's done. But in my usual "why say one word when 10 will do it?" style, I've already managed to spaff out a 4.5k wordcount. So don't expect to enjoy reading it.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I look forward to your write up, a bottle of wine may be in order if it's as long as you say :wink: .
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ray Young wrote:I look forward to your write up, a bottle of wine may be in order if it's as long as you say :wink: .
And a Sigur Ros soundtrack. If it's long enough, we may manage the entire back catalogue, which would be a feat in it's self!
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

ootini wrote:
Ray Young wrote:I look forward to your write up, a bottle of wine may be in order if it's as long as you say :wink: .
And a Sigur Ros soundtrack. If it's long enough, we may manage the entire back catalogue, which would be a feat in it's self!

I fear you may have exaggerated the extent of my report! I'd suggest the wine (A good cold German Trocken Riesling - in honour of one our 'favourite' encounters) and Sigur Ros Ágætis byrjun (because 10 years ago I bought a copy in the gift shop at Gullfoss).
ootini

Post by ootini »

Just a thought, are you also the guy looking to shift some Gorilla cage / Monkii clip combos as well?
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

That's the guy I went with. No doubt he'll turn up here soon enough.
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Waves.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Here it is then. The full trip write-up.

I hope you enjoy it, but if you don't... tough.

http://icelandicfatfun.blogspot.co.uk/2 ... te-up.html
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Look like you had a good trip except for the noodles and porridge. :lol: