The Strada Militaires of the Italy-France border, Turin-Nice

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

The Strada Militaires of the Italy-France border, Turin-Nice

Post by jameso »

This summer's ride was based on a test-trip for a new bike as well as the new bike being inspired by my enthusiasm for road/offroad mash-up rides. The route came from tracing out Italian military roads like the Strada dell Assietta and a few other dirt roads on google earth, linking them with some cols we'd not ridden before or roads that were alternatives to the classic climbs I'd ridden in the past and plotting links to an airport at each end. A sort of roads-less-travelled ride where it wasn't a road route or a mountain bike route but a 50-50 mix where any bike goes, almost.

The Stradas were fantastic, simple roads cut into the high hills that stayed above 2000m much of the time and made for incredibly scenic riding. When I'm not focussed on a technical trail I can enjoy the views so much more and this ride was the epitomy of quiet riding with dramatic views. Most days were hot with morning mists and afternood humidity cloud build-up making it even more atmospheric at times. We didn't ride that far each day, there were sections where 200km could include 7500m or more of climbing, the climbs on stony tracks were slow and the descents were too risky to really let the bike run so it's not a fast route. It was also hotter than expected, particularly south of Demonte and Molini. 8 days with a lazy day to end was plenty of time and stopping to bivi earely at 6-7.30pm with a good cookset, a bag full of pasta, sauce and tuna or saucisson was something I really enjoyed. Andy likes to sleep in a bit more than I do so each morning was time for a brew while taking in the view rather than my default 'get moving' solo-ride feeling and it took me back to the attitude I had on hiking and climbing bivis before I got into bikepacking. A relaxing trip for sure. Add to that the cafes and restaurants we passed each day and I came back no lighter than I left and feeling a lot less tired than some previous rides. Roughstuff touring in Italy is good : )

Some pictures here - https://www.flickr.com/photos/67338272@ ... 5952014649

GPX files and route cue notes available if anyone's interested, they need a little translation or review as the route includes some alternates, shortcuts and extensions etc but I'm happy to explain if needed.

(and hi to MtbMarkyMark who we met in Moleni di Triora, it's a small bearbones world!)
Richpips

Re: The Strada Militaires of the Italy-France border, Turin-

Post by Richpips »

Great pictures, it looks like a good route.
Ian

Post by Ian »

James, that looks ace. Would you mind emailing the GPX etc - could be up for that next year. Cheers.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Yep, looks very inviting!! Bravo
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 5

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That looks cracking James. :grin:
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ian, yhm re the RWS and I'll post over the GPXs and cues to the Wildcat address now. There's quite a few files as it was meant as a flexible route plan and there's some alts/shortcut files but the cues should help make sense of it as a general route. ie, the section we rode off the Tende was to the east and there's a point where that route crosses the main GPX for the Demonte>Sospel file that needs taking, but as a base for having a look around it'll do.
snack_ie

Post by snack_ie »

Looks vaguely exciting! Where did you get the idea for this trip?
jameso

Post by jameso »

snack_ie wrote:Looks vaguely exciting! Where did you get the idea for this trip?
Thanks. The idea came from looking for a similar sort of route in the Dolomites over the last year or two, in researching that I saw some military gravel roads around lake Garda. Realised there were a few more and the border was where most were so looked them up. I linked up a few more roads and stradas with google earth pins and the GPXs came together from cross-referencing that into bikehike.co.uk. Also very useful was a book I have by Fred Wright, Roughstuff Cycling In The Alps, listing a lot of roughstuff type cols/H.A.B carries that link the high road cols - one of the link alternates came from there and the whole thing was inspired by that kind of approach, although Fred seemed to go for more carries than we did, just 2 on our route, and we used longer off-road sections linked by similar durations on road cols.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

a book I have by Fred Wright, Roughstuff Cycling In The Alps
James did you buy that direct? Any details? - Ta.
jameso

Post by jameso »

s8tannorm wrote:
a book I have by Fred Wright, Roughstuff Cycling In The Alps
James did you buy that direct? Any details? - Ta.
Yes, or Paul E did and got me a copy while he was at it,
http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/rough ... ealps.html - you should still be able to buy it direct here.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Nice pics James, in fact I saw them on flickr first and have found the (abridged I guess as lots always happens) story here. Shall continue flicking through the photos, might pester for a gpx in due course!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

That certainly does look fab; can I pester you for the GPX and route cues?
jameso

Post by jameso »

ZeroDarkBivi wrote:That certainly does look fab; can I pester you for the GPX and route cues?
No probs, mail me at james.olsen.remote at hotmail.co.uk and I'll send them over.
jameso

Post by jameso »

http://www.ocd.org.uk/alps/rs/fred.htm

Have a look at Fred Wright's page on the Ordre des Cols Dure (sp?) if you're interested in the rides of a keen Alpine roughstuffer and pioneering pass-stormer. He was quite happy to bivi out along the way. 'All the best ride include a hike-a-bike' as someone said.

slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

vaguely exciting!
Superb pictures!!
Could I also pester you for the gpx?
peter.gratwick@yahoo.co.uk
I may have some time in early autumn when I could do something like this!!
Pete
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yes, or Paul E did and got me a copy while he was at it,
http://www.southlakesgroup.org.uk/rough ... ealps.html - you should still be able to buy it direct here.
Cheers James, I'll get onto it :-bd
slowupslowdown-under

Post by slowupslowdown-under »

just saw your email so will contact you now!
Pete
Pickers

Post by Pickers »

Very jealous! Super pics, looks like a great trip.
Some of my pics https://www.flickr.com/photos/107347896@N06/sets/

We’re gonna need snacks

#TakeLessBike
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Fantastic! I'm off to Molini in May but uplifting rather than bikepacking. Would love to do something like this, it's such a great part of the world.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Would be good to see some pics after your trip Charlie. We met an MTB guide in Molini and heard the trails were good there. I didn't know anything of the place before, we just ended up there but it was a great spot. A lot of lovely (and steep) woods that I'd like to explore sometime, maybe next time on the way through.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Pictures look great James. One for the list I think...
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I've been to Molini on a couple of mtb trips and the riding is the best techy, flowy alpine riding I've done. I also had a family holiday in the area a couple of years ago just because it's beautiful and the food is amazing. Rivierabike.co.uk are based in Molini - you may have met Ady, who owns/runs it.