Peak ITT

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ianfitz

Peak ITT

Post by ianfitz »

I had intended to be at the group start of the cairngorm loop but as that drew nearer it became clear that the ground conditions and weather were looking like it would all be a bit more adventurous than I had intended.

This meant I could go away with the family on a weekend with friends from norton wheelers cycling club. Which would be fun, and gain some valuable brownie points for later in the year ;-). But I'd had a good winters training and a two week taper so felt like I should do something. Never waste a taper!

The forecast looked good for Friday which I had off work anyway. I realised that I could squeeze in a ride of the peak itt route that I'd planned and amended after last years 0/8 completions at the group start. Only Dave Kane had ridden the route, the week before the group start in a quick time of 22:35.

Working out what time we'd need to leave and counting backwards meant a start on Thursday evening to be sure of being finished in time. So at 10:40pm after a day's work and a couple of hours interrupted sleep I set off from the corner of lady cannings plantation. I started here as it's the closest the route gets to my house and I could coast down the hill and be home 10 minutes after finishing.

I'd been using a heart rate monitor recently in training to make sure I wasn't over doing it and thought it was sensible to use it for this. It turned out to be useful, keeping steady in the early sections of the ride. Down along the road under stanage it was a clear night but very cold with a light wind, over the causeway and then getting some serious speed down wyming brook. He ground was wetter than I'd expected, some rain in the last week leaving some moisture after a very dry April. I was happy to have taken a rear mudguard.

A short spin along the A57 and the climb up to the rod moor road went by without incident. Heading up to whinstone lee tor my phone which is also my gps started to make some odd sounds so I figured it was fully charged and unplugged it.

Down the rough trails to meet the reservoir road I thought I'd check how far I had left to go. Phone was off! Very odd. I tried to switch it on but it said it was flat! This didn't seem right as it had been fully charged 20 minutes ago. I plugged it into the extra battery I had a waited to see what happened, it came back on but didn't seem quite right somehow.

After that faff I carried on along the south side of ladyblower and up to hope cross. On the decent to thornhill my phone showed a 'this phone is too hot' message. This seemed unlikely as it was somewhere near freezing! More faffing revealed that the charging lead was now knackered and the phone was off. Bugger. Where can I buy an iPhone charger at 2am in the Peak District? I thought bamford 24hr petrol station was the only hope and luckily was about a mile away! The man working there thought he'd seen some in the stock room and invited me in to have a look. He disappeared in to the back of the shop while I picked a few snacks. He was gone for so long I wondered if he was having a nap, but to be fair he came back with a box of multi use USB chargers. Like a crazy cat of nine tails in electrical form. Fortunately one was the required connector so the day, or night actually, was saved. Hmm, maybe a good job I wasn't in the Cairngorms after all. Probably no such 24hr facilities available there...

The only issue with the cat o' nine-tails was that I couldn't actually plug it in while my phone was in its case which meant that it could sit in the bar mount so stuffing it all in a pocket and checking the lead hadn't come disconnected was needed. More faffing, but at least it kinda worked.

Onwards, up, round and over shatton moor, which marks the first quarter of the route, and down the-always-muddy-trail to bradwell. Even despite the recent dry spell it lived up to its reputation.

Through the cement works and to castleton. After 3am by now and just starting the trudge up cave dale. By the time I got to the top it was starting to get light in the sky but lights were still very much required.

I had been feeling strong up to this point and eating regularly but often struggle at 4am for a short while. I guess it's just the body's way of reminding you that you're meant to be bloody well asleep now.

Over mam tor and down to edale. Along Jaggers Clough and down the bumpy track to rowely bridge. Feeling very sluggish and not in the least bit hungry now, tired too even though it was just about properly light. That usually sorts me out but the sun wasn't working its magic just yet. I carried on past hagg farm and down the flying mile, although I felt like I was crawling not flying! Along the reservoir track and beginning the climb up cut gate. It was a milky sort of morning and there was still a heavy frost and solidly frozen ground on the shady side that I was climbing up.

The long push up cut gate, even the bits I would usually ride easily, seems to take forever. It's all starting to feel much harder than I seem to think it should. Some how I calculate that I should have been here two hours ago and must be going way too slowly. Not sure if I'll even have time to finish the whole loop before we need to set off for the weekend away.

The decent seems really rough and I'm totally lacking any flow also sudden feeling very thirsty. I stop at the only stream I can find on the way down and drink some quite brown water with some bits in it. Not the best but the only choice for now.

Eventually down and onto the road diversion for this year as the linking path to the TPT is closed for resurfacing. It's suddenly warm and sheltered on the TPT. I figure I should take off the fleece tights and thick base layer I've had on since the start with a proper waterproof too. I realise at this point my spot is off too. Bollocks. Better call home too. Those domestic issues sorted I was back on it. Feeling brighter now as I realised that the half way point isn't so far away. Rapid distance gain along the mostly flat TPT and some lucky gaps in traffic meant not having to wait at any of the three crossings of the woodhead pass. Nearly 9 am by now and a lovely sunny day, ideal for riding. Which given my plans was a good thing.

The long road climb up past rowarth didn't seem anywhere near as bad as last year and the long straight bridleway is much dryer than I remember it too.

Linking up with the PBW for a few well signposted but hilly miles to get onto the Roych Clough track and a big drink out of the stream there too. I wondered about stopping at the no car cafe for something savoury but decide to press on. Well worth it though if you're not in a rush.

I realise the bike hire shack at the end of the Monsal trail is about 10km away. It serves tea and crisps so no waiting for cooked food. Also is about the 3/4 point from where I've started. A quick stop and the first sit down for 15 hours is quite welcome. Tea, coke, water with cheese and onion crisps all go down well.

15 hours for the first 3/4s surely means a sub 20 hour finish. So back on the bike. The climb out of cheedale is more pushing but seems over sooner than I feared. More of the. PBW leads into the high peak trail and more easily won kilometres. Then the only section I've not ridden - gratton dale. I heard terrible things about this from last year but had included it as surely every ITT route should have some hike-a-bike. Right? Last year it was reportedly very, very muddy and cut up by cows. This time it's bullet hard lumpy ground. Churned up by cattle but set like concrete. This is the only time during the whole route that I wasn't happy to be riding a fully rigid bike, feels like it's beating me up. I ended up taking some bizarre routes in the dale and lose the path. In a dale. Really not sure how.

Eventually through it and along the track and then field bridleway that leads down to hassop hall and a short spin along the A6 before the trails through lady manners wood and down to chatsworth house.

I realise there's only one big climb left after this and wonder if I may get in under 19 hours. 18 something sounds good! And a lot faster than I was thinking I'd do. Into baslow and manage to ride all the way up the bar road to baslow edge. Not usually a big deal but I'm pleased after such a long time in the saddle. It's funny how you can race for arbitrary targets and soon along the newly upgraded curbar edge path I realise that 18 something isn't likely but am happy enough to keep spinning the pedals. Blasting through longshaw and up and over houndkirk road. Turn left at the cross road and am alongside lady cannings plantation. Over the last rise and I can see the gate that marks the finish post. Then there's a bang and my saddle drops suddenly. Actually off the bike! I glance down and its on the ground along with the bag and spot. Oh well. Click up a couple of gears and mash the pedals in an unprompted sprint finish. Touch the gate and stop the clock. 19:08:03. Drop my bike and walk 200m back for the saddle. Hmm. Maybe a good job I'm not in the Cairngorms...

What I learnt:

I'm getting more comfortable with longer rides. I guess just more rides up to 100km in training this time have helped and having now done a few 200km rides I know what to expect now. Bike was good and pretty comfy throughout, although I'm less convinced about the saddle than I used to be. Looking forwards to having some 35mm rims and the resulting extra tyre volume soon though.

Heart rate monitor was great. It helped me to go 'not too fast' at the start. But, and I'd not figured this out before, it also helped me to push a bit more later on. My legs felt a bit rough on the pedally climbs but i realised my heart rate was lower than the perceived effort and how my legs felt. This meant I pushed, just a little, more than I would have otherwise but while staying in a sensible heart rate zone. I will definitely be using one again in the future.

I seem to have coped really well physically with the ride. This has really surprised me as only a few years ago I was diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and couldn't get through the day without an afternoon nap. I had been fit before that though and have slowly built back up to be were I'm at now. There's a long story in that last paragraph which maybe I'll tell another time...

It was the first 200km ride I've done on my own. It's a different mental and physiological experience but I really enjoyed it, overall anyway, the usual bad spell 3-5 or 4-7 am aside. I was glad it was in an area that I know well as that made it less scary. Has given me confidence to go for other longer things now.

I need to figure out what was going on with my phone as its my only gps device and has always been ok in the past. Maybe with my birthday coming up I might invest in a garmin and see if Mr Barter will sort me out with his magic maps...

Oh, and I need a new seat post!
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Peak ITT

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Well done Ian :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

s8tannorm wrote:Well done Ian :-bd
Cheers stu. It was a good outing :grin:
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Nice one Ian. Email me a GPX and your address and I'll send you an SD card with the next version on. I need to update the HTR route on the current one
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:Nice one Ian. Email me a GPX and your address and I'll send you an SD card with the next version on. I need to update the HTR route on the current one
Cheers Dave will do. I'd hoped to record a nice accurate gpx but the charging difficulties meant it turned out otherwise. I'll tweak the route on memory-map and send it over.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Nice job Ian :cool:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I'm home now and rather than clean my bike (and try to extract the remains of the seat post!) I counted up my food wrappers.

Worked out I ate just under 5000kcals during the ride. Which works out at ~260 per hour
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:Nice job Ian :cool:
Thanks Ian, am pleased with the route and the ride.

Am surprised I feel pretty good after a steady weekend and did a hilly 40km/700m on the road today. Will still be taking it steady for a bit but different to the past where I felt totally destroyed after the Bearbones 200.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Good ride Ian. It's always interesting to hear the highs and lows people go through on long rides - you must know the route pretty well to do it without Maps though. I can recommend a GPS as it makes all the faff with phones etc a thing of the past. Well done!

5000 calories! You mu st have been eating constantly - just think - if you hadn't eaten you would have lost about a pound... :-bd
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

Brilliant write up Ian, I struggle to get up the bar road to Baslow edge on fresh legs let alone after 17 odd hours in the saddle! Great to hear you've found a way to manage your chronic fatigue syndrome, very inspiring.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

HopeValleyPaul wrote:Brilliant write up Ian, I struggle to get up the bar road to Baslow edge on fresh legs let alone after 17 odd hours in the saddle! Great to hear you've found a way to manage your chronic fatigue syndrome, very inspiring.

Cheers Paul, I think that using the HRM meant that I realised that just 'cos my legs hurt doesn't actually mean they don't still work! How's trick anyhow, not seen you for ages now?
HopeValleyPaul

Post by HopeValleyPaul »

All good here buddy, free time has been at a bit of premium with work and kids over the winter, which I don't mind as the kids are thriving. I did get a fair bit of running done for the first time in years though.
Back on the bike now though doing loads (for me) of road/gravel miles on the cross bike which I'm loving in prep for a stab at this ride in august. will try and get back out on the evening rides soon.
Karl

Post by Karl »

Well Done! Nice write up, sounds like you got lucky with your saddle. That could of literally been a pain in the bum.

Is the updated GPX file available for this route yet? I'm attempting this coming weekend and was going to use the 2014 version but newer is always better :-)
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

KBRPro wrote:Well Done! Nice write up, sounds like you got lucky with your saddle. That could of literally been a pain in the bum.

Is the updated GPX file available for this route yet? I'm attempting this coming weekend and was going to use the 2014 version but newer is always better :-)

Both equipment failures would have been ride ending if they'd happened pretty much anywhere else! I've not managed to sort out a website to host it yet but will soon, in the meantime if you PM me an email address I can send it over.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

That's a good time.

Well done. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Good post

epic effort and top work!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Got a chance to read this now, good write up, stonking effort. :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

:-bd

Nice one ian. Sounds like updated route is good.

Top ride.
welshwhit

Post by welshwhit »

Great effort and great read too, well done!
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

ianfitz wrote: I've not managed to sort out a website to host it yet but will soon, in the meantime if you PM me an email address I can send it over.
Why not ask Steve to host it on http://selfsupporteduk.net/ .... where all the other ones are too....
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

GregMay wrote:
ianfitz wrote: I've not managed to sort out a website to host it yet but will soon, in the meantime if you PM me an email address I can send it over.
Why not ask Steve to host it on http://selfsupporteduk.net/ .... where all the other ones are too....
Good point Greg, I've been in touch with Steve, he prefers there to be an existing website that he can link to off the selfsupported site. I've asked Neil (composite on here) to make that page and then we can do it that way. I'm world class at using the web for shopping, reasonable at using for chatting poor show, but hopeless when it comes to building stuff on it!

But in the meantime I'll happily send the gpx to anyone that wants it. drop me a PM and i can email it.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ianfitz wrote:
GregMay wrote:
Good point Greg, I've been in touch with Steve, he prefers there to be an existing website that he can link to off the selfsupported site. I've asked Neil (composite on here) to make that page and then we can do it that way. I'm world class at using the web for shopping, reasonable at using for chatting poor show, but hopeless when it comes to building stuff on it!

But in the meantime I'll happily send the gpx to anyone that wants it. drop me a PM and i can email it.
Neil has uploaded the page now - http://www.selfsupporteduk.net/routes/Peak200.html - there's not a link to it from the main selfsupported page just yet but I'm sure it will be added to the list soon.

the GPX download is there too if any one wants it. I'd be interested to hear of attempts and/or completions
captainbedwell

Post by captainbedwell »

I'm planning on an attempt in late July when the school holidays start. Much planning still to be done but hoping nights will still be long enough and I'm hoping to get it done in around 28 hours working on 10kph average and a few hours sleep.

Excited for this!
FLV

Post by FLV »

its a nice route. you'll enjoy it. I think
captainbedwell

Post by captainbedwell »

It does look like it gets most of the Peak District highlights in. It's great you can start it anywhere. I live in New Mills so the little cafe in Birch Vale will be my start and end point.