Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mythste

Re: Todays ride

Post by Mythste »

RIP wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:21 pm Compliments on your searing honesty :-bd .
fate
which was? lots of nice time spent in the pub then sleeping in the toilet block? So not all bad then :smile:
For the sake of my reputation, I'll say yes.
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Mythste wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:54 pm
A few weeks ago some of you might remember I posted about a shakedown ride

The poles, it seems, had stayed at home.
Bet you remember this one though. Life is one big shakedown.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A pedal around Gwydyr forest with the odd bit of the Marin singletrack thrown in for good measure.
My first ride in ages where I didn't have one bit of hike a bike!

Image20200913_133245 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200913_122918 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

You may be doing it wrong Jeff :lol:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Pics still aint loaded into Imgur so I can add em here, so will continue with descriptions and at some later point when I do add em, you can assess yourself on how accurate your minds eye was :grin:

Michealgate beautifully cobbled climb, in the sunshine, from the book

So its been an interesting week and its not actually todays ride but this week. Yesterday saw me hobble along in my farmers car rocket type thingy (Subaru Outback with 3 liters H6 engine) to Lincoln. Needed to ride my bike really, but also needed to buy a new bag (sleeping, obviously). So I combined the two and threw Egen into the rather big boot.

Plan was to ride Michealgate again - refer to pic above, ain't it lovely - but this time a little faster. After checking out Simons (Warren) book app I learnt there was a closeby climb called Steep Hill. But Simon said it was to pedestrianised which was just his excuse for being soft. Asked the boss-lady at work regards it and whether cycles go up it and i was (un)reliably informed that they do... 'Up and down' apparently.

So post work I quickly drew a route. First I'd go up Michealgate (MG) and then loop round to Steep Hill and then car and home. A micro-ride it'd be and the Covid state would mean there'd be a sheer lack of pissheads (lol... no offence, I mean that in a loving way off course) on both climbs :lol: :lol: :lol: A few minutes later I was going up MG but my Wahoo tells me it's Steep Hill (SH) in the segment details. Suddenly I saw my first group of intoxicated lads who obviously must've thought they'd drank more than they had.

Can't quite remember what they said but it was some words of astonishment, amazement, joy and pity. Whilst I struggled to keep cycling up, all I could muster was a "Michaelgate or Steep Hill". I think they said something about SH or maybe just laughed. Dunno, didn't care. Came back round and finally found SH. So obviously whoever made the segment (in Strava) must've thought they'd climbed SH.

Next I meet my next set of intoxicated chaps and chappettes. Up a bottleneck section with about 800 lumens pouring out at them. Again they probably didn't understand what was happening but thankfully just before I ran em over at 4mph, they sidetracked. I kept going and suddenly the steep bit peered down at me. Lots of ladies (I think) at the top and noone walking up or down this section. I had to make it or else I'd be the laughing stock and as we all know... There's only one thing worse than being 'laffed' at by a drunkard. It's being laffed at by a 'drunkardette'.

Blooming ek, I managed to make it and at the very top got some glazed looks by lots of folk but thankfully noone enquired as to who I was or what I was doing or if it was a motored bike. Few minutes later, bike in car and 'farmer vehicled' back home.

another hill with Hill as its last name, but smooth tarmac

Then the ride before this was the one where I went to collect my cassette. From Derby, 74 miles away and I'd already made my 95 miled route back. Got there, lad called Fesal Akbar (Fesal the Great.. maybe some king at some point in time), fed me like I'd come to a palace.

Cassette packed, prayers done, I thought I'd forgo the mapping and just head north. About 10 minutes later I was sat at the side of the road figuring out how to get to Derby station. You see the highlight of this ride was when a chap came shooting up a hill like he was surfing the waves. All he said was, "windy enough for ya" with a great big heeky smile. I was going south but the wind was pushing him north and it was rather painful (for me).

£12.50 ticket later, I lands in Sheffield for my 'I'm hard' ride back home. Said my prayers on the courtyard and then bought myself another ticket for a fiver from Sheffield to Wakefield. Checked Twitter feed and there's Rich talking about the headwind up in Scotland whilst he was riding back home via some rough trail or another. He was obviously being soft and had chucked in the towel :grin: for now.

Back to Wakefield and a 7 mile ride later I was home. Shiny new (to me) '34 teeth' Ultegra cassette for a meer £48... What a bargain and who cares about the train tickets.

beautiful countryside midday with lots of greenery and clear blue sky

long road climb from a distance with crawler lane somewhere before Belper

evidence that doing the crawler lane was gonna get me squares

pic of some 'softies' gravel and the next one showing its a nature reserve... I've attached em together

an iconic hill called (summat) Lane that I'm aleays happy to see this house at the top, postie waving from the corner which I obviously choreographed

The End

Sorry about the roadie boring writeup but at least you enjoyed the pics :smile:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Was supposed to be a 200km multi-surface ride, hitting four local cyclist friendly cafés. Totally forgot that I had an 11 o'clock with my pension adviser to sort me out post redundancy. So after my call, I went out for another crack at my slightly tweaked Round Cambridge the Hard Way route.

It didn't start out well though...

When I got back from holiday a few weeks ago, everything was all green again. Nice to see it all parched and fast running...

Also nice to see field edges planted with sunflowers...

Or just random sunflowers...

Plenty of grav grav on this route, along with all the singletrack, double track, grass and everything in between...

I may have gone out a bit too hard, even though I thought I was taking it easy. The last couple of hours in the dark were a proper slog...

Finished with a cracking pint at the local...

Highlights:

Stopping someone from driving down a rutted byway in a VW Passat, while they were trying to find a local hospital. It would've ended badly, as I'd very nearly stacked in a rut, about 3 mins earlier. I was just following the TomTom she said... 🤦

Seeing a few deer just off the trail, nibbling a freshly planted field (that I should've ridden through, but as the path hasn't formed yet, I took a diversion).

Seeing a couple of badgers, they were well cool.

That pint at the end... 😋
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Took our leaky old water butt to the recycling place 2 miles away - am not going to just chuck it away. Have to pre-book a car time slot these days so gave Mrs Perrin's reg (not Reg) number.

Turned up, gave reg number. Bloke looks baffled. No car. Circuitry fused. Cannot compute. "You're not a pedestrian are you? Cos they're not allowed in". "Are my feet touching the ground?", "Erm, no", "There you go then", "Been before like that?", "Yeah loads of times". Bloke gives up, "Go on then".

Actually I've missed a trick. Should've kept it. You could dispense with the water-filter carrying that much water round on a trip. Hmm.

These places need to get with the programme. Ridiculous turning up in a 4x4 to dump 2 bottles and a tin can like half the punters. Almost as futile as driving to the gym.

Collected a load of bike repair stuff from my mate Peter on the way back - we're doing a "Big Bike Revival" Dr Bike at the market tomorrow.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Actually I've missed a trick. Should've kept it. You could dispense with the water-filter carrying that much water round on a trip. Hmm.
Come to think of it, never mind a water-carrier, it'd make an ideal bivvy bag. Easy access into one end, plenty of ventilation, and a little spout for when you get caught short during the night. Sigh, too late, it's gone to the great HDPE recycling dump in the sky.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm Took our leaky old water butt to the recycling place 2 miles away - am not going to just chuck it away. Have to pre-book a car time slot these days so gave Mrs Perrin's reg (not Reg) number.

Turned up, gave reg number. Bloke looks baffled. No car. Circuitry fused. Cannot compute. "You're not a pedestrian are you? Cos they're not allowed in". "Are my feet touching the ground?", "Erm, no", "There you go then", "Been before like that?", "Yeah loads of times". Bloke gives up, "Go on then".

These places need to get with the programme. Ridiculous turning up in a 4x4 to dump 2 bottles and a tin can like half the punters. Almost as futile as driving to the gym.

Collected a load of bike repair stuff from my mate Peter on the way back - we're doing a "Big Bike Revival" Dr Bike at the market tomorrow.
Reg... I'm gonna have to deliver/collect alot of parcels to match you now (with the 'I'm greener than you debate')...

Actually, my compost bins a bit rubbish (The Composter or some stupid name like that... It's an American company and its riddled with holes... It's quite frankly, 'sh*t') so could have come and collected that off ya and mod'd it.

Oh well :sad:
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm
RIP wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 3:30 pm
Come to think of it, never mind a water-carrier, it'd make an ideal bivvy bag. Easy access into one end, plenty of ventilation, and a little spout for when you get caught short during the night. Sigh, too late, it's gone to the great HDPE recycling dump in the sky.
You'd save on the weight and bulk of a tarp, too :-bd .
May you always have tail wind.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Toppled the summit of Y Ro Wen today. It's been on the to do list for a while now but I knew it would be a killer climb. I followed the double track from Dolwyddelan which was tough from the start.
The views though were worth the effort, not sure I'd want to ride a loaded bike up there though but we'll see once I forget how tough it was....
ImageScreenshot_20200920-124541_OS Maps by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200920_170053_445 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200920_132839 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200920_114628 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200920_124908 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20200920_170053_448 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

End of summer?
An unexpected fine day yesterday so went for a long ride to Starcross and back. The Exe Trail was packed with all types, sizes, and ages of bikes and riders. Sun was hot, sky was clear, less flying things hitting me in the face. Exeter Quay was packed as I put a loop in up the St Davids before heading down river. Had a look in Powderham to see if there were any Geese there yet but none in sight. Had lunch by the side of the trail just below the Turf Lock looking over to Ebford and Lympstone. See photo.
Imageexe (1024x561) by michaelwex10, on Flickr
On the way back just as I got to the river again on the other side after Ebford I heard the sound of Geese and looked up to see a huge cloud of Geese. There were several V’s/skeins all gathered together and flying right over where I had been an hour before.
Today the sky is grey with drizzle and forecast is ‘getting colder’ so seeing the Geese yesterday seems a fitting end to summer and the changing of the seasons.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I rode up a hill I never usually cycle down but made an exception today and turned round for the descent.

then did some foraging in the forest

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It's S. H. I. T. E. being Scottish

FLV

Post by FLV »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm It's S. H. I. T. E. being Scottish

Superb
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

From the front day today. Up Conwy mtn and onto Tal y Fan. Loads of walkers and plenty of folk on e-bikes too, they make these hills look so easy!
Trying out some new tires on the Bucksaw too...

Image20200927_121644 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200927_113400 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200927_113408 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200927_115705 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20200927_131137 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I had to Google this but a good example of Cirros clouds
Image20200927_131445 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Heading back from a local bivvy with a new initiate to the bikepacking fraternity

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Tour of Penyghent.

Bright sunshine but a cool wind. The ground is getting damp but it's mostly rideable still.

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Boab

Post by Boab »

Autumn has well and truly arrive in the South Shire, had to hose the bike down when I got back. Time to decide if I want to put up with six months of slop, or six months of road riding. I can only afford one set of new tyres and these Gravel Kings are crap when it gets sloppy.

Delv4

Post by Delv4 »

K1100T wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pmthese Gravel Kings are crap when it gets sloppy.
truth, keep preaching it
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

One from yesterday.

Happy Coosday

Boab

Post by Boab »

Delv4 wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:52 pm
K1100T wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pmthese Gravel Kings are crap when it gets sloppy.
truth, keep preaching it
The SK's at least.
Maybe the EXT would be better, the FireCross betterer still...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Actually yesterdays ride.

To start with, I've been a bit reticent of late to stick a bike on the rack and drive anywhere as I've experienced lots of rotor contamination. It might be off the road, or it might be exhaust related. Either way, I've been looking for a better solution than copious amounts of clingfilm. The answer arrived in the post a couple of weeks ago..

Image2020-10-03_08-35-57 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

These little beauties attach with velcro and have solved the problem.

Suitably equipped, I set off to do a gravel route I'd been eyeing up for a couple of years. You may not like windfarms but they've added a few riding options in some out-of-the-way places and this ride was to be in to Tom nan Clach, north of Carrbridge.

Don't worry I wasn't taking this bike

ImageDSC_1426 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

The gravel was very fine and sandy and, with recent rain, had developed into a thick soup. With the 650x47 Horizons I was leaving an obvious groove through it, which was obviously adding to pedalling resistance too. On the way to the windfarm, I took the chance too look at one of the "lunch huts" belonging to the estate.

ImageDSC_1600 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

This was unlocked, clean and cosy inside. Might feature in another post at some point.....

As I reached the wind turbines, it got increasingly windy. Whodathunkit? Good view all around though.

ImageDSC_1603 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

On the return leg, I'd decided I wanted to explore some of the older estate tracks. This is extensively used as grouse moor and is grazed by sheep so there is quite a network. The first track I looked at was way too rocky for the #gradventurer. The next one looked good and seemed to form a loop so off I went.

ImageDSC_1605 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

After this lovely fast downhill (with occasional more rocky bits). I hit a bit of a problem. I came to a ford and it was showing evidence of the past three days rain. The water was brown and fast and deep. I couldn't see the river bed at all.

ImageDSC_1606 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I didn't fancy the ride back up the long hill, so elected to cross just upstream of the line of boulders. I figured they'd give me something to stabilise myself with. The bike was also used as a bit of a prop. By half way over, the bike wheels were covered. I do mean the top of them. The water was up to my thighs, Anyway, at least it wasn't cold and when I got across I took my boots off, emptied them, wrung out my Woolie Boolies and relaxed in the warm sun for a while.

I did a wee bit more exploring but came to another ford that looked even worse to cross and, in any case, the rack was getting increasingly rocky and, alternately, muddy, Wrong bike/tyre choice to go much further. Found another couple of old buildings that might warrant an exploratory trip.

ImageDSC_1609 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

When I reached the windfarm track again, I noticed the map suggested a wee waterfall along another track so off I set. This track was soon really muddy and I was slipping all over the place. By adopting my ice-riding skills, I was just able to hang on long enough until it got rocky again. I found the waterfall by sound but it's down a very steep gorge with no access path. This was the best shot I could get of it.

ImageDSC_1610 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

The track carried on (downhill) to another farm so off I set.

ImageDSC_1612 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

I soon saw the farm and was getting ready for a shot spin onto the road until I hit another ford. No way I was getting across this one. I hummed and hawed, traversed the bank for ages, then decided the best was out of here was to set off cross-country. That meant crossing a deep mossy bog, one arm holding the bike up and the other hanging onto a fence lest I sink in too far (truth is, I never went more than calf deep).

I was sooo grateful to eventually reach tarmac and all that was left was a spin up the road back to the van. I passed this old Wade/Caulfield bridge on the way.

ImageDSC_1613 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

In the intervening 300 years since it was built, the river has relocated eastwards by around 50 metres, leaving it high and dry now.

It seems seldom I'm now on tracks that no one has ridden regularly or that aren't listed on some website or forum. This felt like a proper adventure, despite being not that far from home. I'll certainly be heading back with a MTB and probably bivvy gear. There's the makings of an Inverness-Aviemore off-road route here.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

After yesterday's deluge - somewhere around 50mm of the wet stuff here in darkest byeckythumpshire - it was a matter of finding the best draining tracks. They were still flooded :roll:

Set off from Threshfield and up onto the moor, over to Mastiles Lane and along to Street Gate (the west end of the lane). Goredale Beck was really high, there was no way I was riding through it as it was almost over the top of the footbridge! (Sounds dramatic - the "bridge" is only 30cm above the beck at the best of times) Round Malham Tarn then back along Mastiles before cutting across to Bordley Farm and eventually back across Boss Moor and down to Threshfield. 32km and, given that you do one climb up onto the moor and then wander around, a surprising 600m of climbing.

Last edited by whitestone on Mon Oct 05, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

20-odd km round some local tracks. As expected, it's very wet and sloppy out there so I went singlespeed for a change.

A quick hose down when I got back and then chuck it in the garage. Sorted!