Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Re: Todays ride

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Its good up there - I take it you've done the route that continues along the ridge and drops down the switch back off Creag follais?
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Is it just me or does that 'deer' look as though it's been shot several times.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

PaulB2 wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm Is it just me or does that 'deer' look as though it's been shot several times.
Err. That's what it's for!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

htrider wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:57 pm :-bd
Its good up there - I take it you've done the route that continues along the ridge and drops down the switch back off Creag follais?
Not done the Craig Follais descent. Current thoughts from mates is that it's not worth it.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

ScotRoutes wrote: Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:37 pm
htrider wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:57 pm :-bd
Not done the Craig Follais descent. Current thoughts from mates is that it's not worth it.
The ride along the ridge was good (this was back in 2010....) and I recall the descent off Sgoran dubh mor was ace. There was one bit of heather bashing between clach Choutsaich and Creag follais but the zig zags were good fun - a very narrow rocky line into the woods....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

A couple of mates actually descended off the very north end of the ridge a couple of weeks ago - aiming for the high point of the Loch Eanaich high track. Said it was mostly OK.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

WRT shakedown ride before the rain came in

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Obligatory "what bars/grips/tyres are they?" question.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Saddle felt a bit high and the steering was a bit vague - sometimes felt like it wasn't doing anything. Handled steeps quite well though. Once up to speed, it could really do with more suspension.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

'Played' bikes 800 metres up in the back garden again this weekend, it was on form...
ImageIMG_20200830_213638_071 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I would say I've had better Monday mornings but...
ImageIMG_20200831_070536_585 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

O forgot to say, fatbikes are just no fun at all....
Image20200831_100243 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Film coming soon :wink:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
FLV

Post by FLV »

Smashing that is Jeff
Boab

Post by Boab »

First proper ride since August the 7th. Good to be back out, but a touch chilly early doors. Plus loads of dew on the grass, making things slippy and slidy.

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Just mixing it up again...

ImageDSC_1503 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have decided that I'm going to ride every day this month. I hope the rest of them are better than today.

ballibeg

Post by ballibeg »

Back to the islands with the missus. Rib through 3m waves got us to Jura yesterday for a windy wet day exploring and traveling to Islay. Today was much improved!

Dave
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

K1100T wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:50 pm I have decided that I'm going to ride every day this month. I hope the rest of them are better than today.

Bob... is that your tubeless sealant kicking in... Hope you kept riding whilst the puncture kicked in as rhats the best way to get a decebt seal and then just stop well down the line and top up air... :smile: tubeless-loveliness...
Boab

Post by Boab »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:22 am Bob... is that your tubeless sealant kicking in... Hope you kept riding whilst the puncture kicked in as rhats the best way to get a decebt seal and then just stop well down the line and top up air... :smile: tubeless-loveliness...
Nope. Had already fixed it with an anchovy, but it was working itself loose, so I had to stop and shove it in again... 😒
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my film from last weekend in Snowdonia, it was a good un!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWcboL2xyc

Hope you enjoy it!
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Boab

Post by Boab »

A quick figure of eight for today's ride:

Now to test the new tent:

Evesie

Post by Evesie »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:43 am Here's my film from last weekend in Snowdonia, it was a good un!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXWcboL2xyc

Hope you enjoy it!
Fantastic - you really have excellent adventures from your doorstep. Most have to travel hundreds of miles to get to places like that. Great filming too.
Boab

Post by Boab »

A much nicer experience sleeping in a tent, although there was quite a lot of condensation. Took two attempts to pitch and I think I'll need a few more tries to get it properly taut:

Then it was out on the bike for a romp into fen country:

FLV

Post by FLV »

a couple of recent rides illustrates what a bit difference a bit of weather makes to a night out

In the borders, on the only bit of 'not underwater' ground we could find
(Mark is moving faster than me and has his bivi down already)

A few days later, on a different moor, solo this time. Got the train one way and rode home via a random waggly route

A nice way to wake up too

Yes I know... tent... soft / doing it wrong / may as well be indoors etc.. :roll:
Mythste

Post by Mythste »

A lesson in preparing to be prepared.

A few weeks ago some of you might remember I posted about a shakedown ride on my Croix De Fer in bikepacking mode.

The big day finally came Friday before last, three days of mainly road but some canal/reservoir/gravel thrown in for interest sake. Littleborough (North Manchester) to Newcastle.

The first day was hellish, a North Easterly headwind that remained unrelenting for 62 of the 63 miles and ~5k feet of up. it was wet but fortunately not cold. The bike was behaving admirably, as were my legs. For possibly the first time in my multi-day touring history I think I fueled right, with a decent lunch stop and plenty of mixed snacks.

I pulled up to the campsite with my tent (I know, look, I'm new to this, baby steps).

Pulled out the tent (Alpkit soloist, can't really go wrong) did what any red-blooded man does when faced with a rolled tent, grabbed the end, threw it forward, and out it rolled.

Except something was wrong. I didn't immediately twig, but normally the unroll is more satisfying than that.

Then it hit me, the roll is usually followed by a "clatter clatter clatter" of the poles ejecting themselves from their tarpy tomb. There was no clatter clatter clatter. There was no poles. The poles, it seems, had stayed at home.

I'm sure bolder men would have made a make shift bivvy and a tarp. As it stands, I sat and engulfed myself in 5 minutes of existential dread before phoning my Fiancé who gave me about as much sympathy as you would imagine - having herself driven to Newcastle the same day as we were visiting friends.

I packed up my bike, went to the pub, and awaited my fate.

Moral of the story, NEVER pack your tent while the thought "I must remember to put those poles back in when I'm actually heading off" is anywhere near your mind.

:roll:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Compliments on your searing honesty :-bd .
fate
which was? lots of nice time spent in the pub then sleeping in the toilet block? So not all bad then :smile:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster