Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Todays ride

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:54 pm In their own words - "I really should pay more attention." 🤦
I'm glad to here you're relatively OK. But,
get yourself check out by the doc. If you later discover you got 'whiplash' it expensive to correct, I found out 18 months later... and no insurance claim.
Its no excuse, the sun might have been in their eyes, when crossing the Junction diagonally . in that case in- appropriate speed if visabilty was poor. low-winter sun is a bugger. X_X :cool:

[Late last summer, whilst out on the road bike a young Lass pull out of a side road. (classic SMIDSY), I thought I gonna end up in the side of her,. before I realised, I flickered out to the right*, and I remember the weird feeling of the left pedal surfing a cross her bumper inches front of her car. some how I remained upright and in control.** I told her to pull over, calm down, gather her thoughts and take it steady home..she was clearly shaken up and admitted fault, , what good would shouting do?

It's so easy to briefly look, but not see.

* I'm supprise I reacted this fast ( and Sods law was off to busy somewhere else..),
Also thinking back I may have risked, getting run over... :shock:
**soz, no photos or video.. :lol:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
Boab

Post by Boab »

First ride since getting knocked off on Wednesday. One of my normal morning loops, with a diversion to Phoenix Cycleworks for coffee and cake. It was approximately the same distance of my preferred Winter Event route, but with about a third of the climbing. It wasn't that my knees were sore, they were mildly uncomfy, with the odd twinge; my right wrist was also unhappy by the end of the ride. Given that I stuck to the road, I'm not sure my body could've taken another 1,200m of climbing, most of which would've been off road. I'm also ust back for an afternoon wander with my wife, where I stumbled around the countryside for a bit like a geriatric, while my legs and lower back slowly seized up, feeling properly worn out now.

It was a bit chilly to start with, and I was ruing sending back some of the kit I'd ordered earlier in the week. I think I'm also going to have to drain and refill the rear brakes, as even pumping the lever doesn't seem to make them work any more, until they come on full force causing the rear wheel to lock up and slide all over the place...

At least it was a lovely morning. Although every time I heard a car coming up behind me I tensed up, I suppose that'll fade over the next few rides.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Boab wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm It wasn't that my knees were sore, they were mildly uncomfy, with the odd twinge; my right wrist was also unhappy by the end of the ride..
..... . I'm also ust back for an afternoon wander with my wife, where I stumbled around the countryside for a bit like a geriatric, while my legs and lower back slowly seized up, feeling properly worn out now.
take a rest day or 2. :-bd..

A Physio told me after, a hot shower or soak. follow it by a very quick cold shower (20/30sec),& then dry off.
The theory is your hot all over (and hopefully easing off) , so your body send the blood to the surface of the skin to cool. :cool: the cold shower trick your body it thinking its cold :sad: . so the warm blood stays in your muscle and joint helping recovering.
it works! :-bd
(I'm not into the Vim hoff thing)...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chilly ride around the Ryvoan Loop tonight. Essential heating and re-hydration at the Old Bridge Inn.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This is the most decent snow we've had in a while so it wasn't to be wasted. (and I know Phil loves seeing photos of my bike in the snow in the mountains)

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:12 pm This is the most decent snow we've had in a while so it wasn't to be wasted. (and I know Phil loves seeing photos of my bike in the snow in the mountains)

Lovely! Is that the track up to Loch Eanaich?
We spent a week at Feshiebridge at the end of January when I'd hoped to get some snow riding on my fatty but it looks like we just missed out (it was still bloody brilliant though).
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yep. That second photo is taken from the high point of the route I'd normally head up the glen. I've bivvied there :cool:

Lots of drifting snow made the climb very tough but it was a fun descent.

First outing for my "new" pogies too.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

*sigh*
Stuck in the house watching sleat showers come in (duty manager) a good dusting on the Ochills but nowt as much as that. Managed to get out for a short spin to blow the cobwebs away.
I'm feeling slightly more positive about the winter than I was last weekend
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Continuing my training for a 450km gravel race from Barcelona to Valencia in April, I'm up to 1,200km since Jan 1st. This afternoon I decided to head out onto the Ebro Delta which has hundreds of km of gravel roads running along raised banks between rice fields. There's also a fair amount of beach riding along salt water lagoons that are used for mussel farming. The lagoons are seasonally home to large flocks of flamingos as well as other wading birds. I happened across a big flock which were close enough to get a decent shot on my phone, together with the obligatory bike in the foreground. 75km ridden, 3 1/2 hours, 650m of climbing surprisingly.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:25 pm Continuing my training for a 450km gravel race from Barcelona to Valencia in April, I'm up to 1,200km since Jan 1st. This afternoon I decided to head out onto the Ebro Delta which has hundreds of km of gravel roads running along raised banks between rice fields. There's also a fair amount of beach riding along salt water lagoons that are used for mussel farming. The lagoons are seasonally home to large flocks of flamingos as well as other wading birds. I happened across a big flock which were close enough to get a decent shot on my phone, together with the obligatory bike in the foreground. 75km ridden, 3 1/2 hours, 650m of climbing surprisingly.
You've done 1200km of gravel since 1st Jan :shock: Absolutely amazing Duncan. How do you manage the time and timetable it all in. Must get out my finger and do a few miles myself :smile:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It's a damn sight easier to rack up the miles here when it's dry and sunny, although this time last year we had 2ft of snow which blocked us in for several days. We live about 15km inland which opens a 360° circle of riding, going west the hills rise up to sbout 2,000ft and east are the flatlands of the Delta. The race I'm doing follows the Roman road Via Augusta which runs the length of Spain and was used by Hannibal and his elephants (allegedly) I'm up to 260km for February, target is 1,000 and similar for March. That should give me the base fitness I'll need to hold my own against the fit young guys I'm competing with.
redefined_cycles

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:11 pm It's a damn sight easier to rack up the miles here when it's dry and sunny, although this time last year we had 2ft of snow which blocked us in for several days. We live about 15km inland which opens a 360° circle of riding, going west the hills rise up to sbout 2,000ft and east are the flatlands of the Delta. The race I'm doing follows the Roman road Via Augusta which runs the length of Spain and was used by Hannibal and his elephants (allegedly) I'm up to 260km for February, target is 1,000 and similar for March. That should give me the base fitness I'll need to hold my own against the fit young guys I'm competing with.
Thanks Duncan. Very inspirational. (On a side note) Hannibal and his elephants... is it a story of going towards the East (maybe towards the Arabian peninsula) as there is a story of an army of elephants in the Quran. It talks of a leader using them to come and destroy the Kaaba etc. Is the alleged story saying that they were destroyed by tiny birds with stones in their beaks! Interesting :smile:

Hope you enjoy that race Duncan as it certainly looks like you've put in the miles to train for it :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

Today's ride was poor show. A driver made a huge error during an overtake, and had to pull in to my space to avoid a head on. I gave as much room as I could be he clipped me and into the undergrowth I went. Bent mech, bent mudguards, bent handlebar :shock: buckled wheels and a few bruises for me.

He must have decided I looked like I was enjoying myself in there as he pissed off and left me to it.

It was effing wet and cold too.

Road riding is poor show.
slarge

Post by slarge »

FLV wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:01 pm Today's ride was poor show. A driver made a huge error during an overtake, and had to pull in to my space to avoid a head on. I gave as much room as I could be he clipped me and into the undergrowth I went. Bent mech, bent mudguards, bent handlebar :shock: buckled wheels and a few bruises for me.

He must have decided I looked like I was enjoying myself in there as he pissed off and left me to it.

Report it Dave, as you never know - they might have a guilt trip. Hope you and bike are OK though. There are some wankers about, and judging from this thread recently, some of them drive cars.

In other news, I did 106km on the road today - out into the wind and back with the wind. Absolutely battered now though. My brand new Gore shakedry was brilliant, and nothing leaked in. I got home with just a slightly damp top from sweat.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

FLV wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 3:01 pm Today's ride was poor show. A driver made a huge error during an overtake, and had to pull in to my space to avoid a head on. I gave as much room as I could be he clipped me and into the undergrowth I went. Bent mech, bent mudguards, bent handlebar :shock: buckled wheels and a few bruises for me.

oh FFS.. you told us a out the bike, but really how about you?
Did you manage to get any details? or you not very good at reading number plates in the wet upside down.
they are probably bragging.
Put a metal box round people, don't they feel safe. Now put it on wheels& hey presto an assault become an incident or even 'just an accident' ...
FLV

Post by FLV »

I'm fine ta, a few bits will go purple and yellow but no big deal.

I did report it, they couldn't have been less interested. But then, I didn't really expect anything. Cyclist are at fault by default in my experience.

Yep, people just don't pay attention when they drive. Cyclists are just an obstacle that hinders progress, unfortunately.
redefined_cycles

I'm not gonna swear but it's the kind of thing that would make me wanna curse... the so and son's...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

43k took 4 1/2 hrs thats how good it was :grin:
Finally got some snow time in the hills but I should have been out yesterday as today it was largely gone apart from the deeper bits.

Actually rideable (just) as it had consolidated enough to support the fatty (but not walkers - lots of postholing going on :mrgreen: ) although ridiculously hard work. Lower down was comical as the snow was saturated - the slightest hint of an off camber and the front wheel was away. Jumbo Jims were not the tyre to be used today....
Johnallan

Post by Johnallan »

Road cycling yesterday on the North West Passage 200km Audax.

Starting in Rochdale with controls at Settle, Kirkby Lonsdale and Scorton.

Mostly A-road bashing which would never usually be my preference but it ment the route was mostly gritted and the cars had cut tyre tracks in the snow.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Had a bit of a setback to the training plan last weekend, 2 days in bed with the world falling out of my bottom, Mrs PB got it the day after me so 3 days off the bike.
A couple of easy rides Monday and Tuesday then I had a rush of blood and did 160km down towards Valencia on Wednesday. Today we rode to Cambrils and back to cheer on some friends who were doing a half marathon, 110km brought the weekly total to 410km. Highlight of today's ride was visiting a local beach which has a 5km section of single-track then a 10-15% road climb to get back to the main road. Weather was beautiful but definitely too chilly for the 2 nudists that we encountered :shock:
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I was going to post this in the BAM thread but I did pay to stay there :sad:
A place I go to regularly, Eigiau. I did have the place booked for 2 nights but I only stayed the one as a cold front was moving in overnight and the road down would have been too icey to drive on. This was a good call as it's white up there now!
So the weather has played a big part this week and the winds kept on blowing.
Some pics:
Image20220222_165955 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_171116 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_172227 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_173023 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_173257 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_173535 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220222_192729 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220223_085347 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220223_104805 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220223_104625 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220223_134311 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
RIP

Post by RIP »

summittoppler wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:39 am I was going to post this in the BAM thread but I did pay to stay there :sad:
One commends your honesty and integrity Sir! :grin:

Worth every penny though :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Verena

Post by Verena »

That looks brilliant Jeff, gorgeous pictures as always!
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Verena wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:04 pm That looks brilliant Jeff, gorgeous fry up as always!
Minor edit
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Cheers guys and yes the fry up was lush!
Looks like I should be back in the BAM running as I'm heading off out tomorrow afternoon... :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos