Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ledburner

Re: Todays ride

Post by ledburner »

Verena wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:16 pm
RIP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:34 pm I'm getting into this Trees-By-Bike thing.... ... There were a fair number left over so I asked if I could nab some for my guerilla planting spot near the river. Expecting a few little bits and bobs that I could put in my pocket he thrust a big sack at me and said "nice one, thanks, here you go". Ah. Just got to get them home the other side of town on the Brommie now which could be interesting. Ten roses, ten hornbeam, five dogwood, five hazel, and twenty hawthorn (OUCH). An, er, erratic and wobbly journey back to say the least. Going to be busy next week, sigh.

Good effort there with both trees on bikes trips, you may be onto something there... I've done big bowsaw on bike to cut down some trees that needed thinning...and last year I saw a man a few times ferrying round logs for firewood on his bike, always hoped I'd get a chance to say hi but never did...
With the load being quite low does it affect /improve handling...?
Probably better on a Brommie, that a trad panniers. I guess oh I said the P word. :grin:
last summer I did a solo walk lot of up hill and down Dale around our valley. I knew a few four paths were over grown. so a put a pair of secuteurs in the rucksack pocket.. The Boss discovered them a few weeks later and the inquisition ensued. it not like they were the only pair. :roll:
I don't think " Mind your own business" and "what it got to do with you", weren't the best choice answers. :shock: :YMDEVIL:

[edit] updated mismatched quotations. and typyos! :grin:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Cath was "out with the girls on their xmas dinner ride" today so got a lift over to Austwick and rode home via Feizor, Stainforth, over the tops to Malham then took the canal towpath to Skipton and then roads home. 48km and 1000m of ascent, took it steady - conversational pace though the climb out of Stainforth is anything but! Really mirky and muddy on the tops, the sun came out just as I got home.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

whitestone wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:25 pm Cath was "out with the girls on their xmas dinner ride" today so got a lift over to Austwick and rode home via Feizor, Stainforth, over the tops to Malham then took the canal towpath to Skipton and then roads home. 48km and 1000m of ascent, took it steady - conversational pace though the climb out of Stainforth is anything but! Really mirky and muddy on the tops, the sun came out just as I got home.
You should try it non-stop after three pints and a felafel burger in the Talbot Arms! In fact you probably have :smile: . I really enjoyed the tour you gave me round your neck of the woods in August thank you. Those little tracks up behind Austwick beforehand were good fun too.

Re Stainforth, did you watch those half hour walks on telly the other day? They were good examples of 'slow telly', which I like (in this case, for 'slow' read 'dirt cheap to make' :wink: ). First one was with some farming lass further north which didn't quite work for me for some reason; I quite enjoyed Shappi Khorsandi's stroll round Tidza and Monsal Dale; whatsisname toddling through Arnside was a bit boring; but Alastair Campbell doing Settle, Stainforth and Catrigg Force (?) was the best of them I thought. He had some interesting reflections and things to say, whereas the others were a lot of "ooh isn't this beautiful" which didn't really add anything. They must have felt a bit bonkers walking alone with blooming great selfie-film sticks and meeting people. Or maybe everyone does that these days and I'm out of touch. How did they disguise the sticks in the transmission? Some sort of editing? Or maybe they were transparent!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:36 am Trees-By-Bike thing... With the load being quite low does it affect /improve handling...?
Strangely, despite the big tree bag just being perched on top of the Brommie S-bag (which itself was full of tree guards (*)) I didn't notice much difference to normal TBH. Apart from only being able to operate the rear brake with only my little finger since the others were gripping the bag for dear life. That bike is like an extension of my body, more so than any other bike. Symbiotic relationship. We understand each other. Like wo/man and horse, wo/man and dog perhaps. So nothing surprises or confuses either of us any longer.

(*) tree guards are not like little imps or elves who keep an eye on trees, they're cardboard sleeves to stop deer nibbling the saplings :wink: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:50 pm That bike is like an extension of my body, more so than any other bike. Symbiotic relationship. We understand each other. Like wo/man and horse, wo/man and dog perhaps.
Sorry that just made me giggle as it reminded me of a post I saw this weekend of a lass I know doing a canicross run with her two dogs, one of which is a Rottie, both of which managed to pull her over then drag her along for quite a way until stopped by a tree across the path. Symbiotic relationship my bottom :lol: PS the tree is fine.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Verena wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:27 pm
RIP wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:50 pm That bike is like an extension of my body, more so than any other bike. Symbiotic relationship. We understand each other. Like wo/man and horse, wo/man and dog perhaps.
Sorry that just made me giggle as it reminded me of a post I saw this weekend of a lass I know doing a canicross run with her two dogs, one of which is a Rottie, both of which managed to pull her over then drag her along for quite a way until stopped by a tree across the path. Symbiotic relationship my bottom :lol: PS the tree is fine.
Yeah sorry, that drivel from Reg was straight out of Private Eye's "Pseuds Corner" :grin: .

Now your anecdote has made me giggle - I can picture the scene quite vividly - so that's a fair exchange I feel :-bd

Mmm, I have a symbiotic relationship with my bottom too. At least I think that's what it is.

EDIT: PS. "canicross"??? That's a new one on me!
Last edited by RIP on Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:35 pm You should try it non-stop after three pints and a felafel burger in the Talbot Arms! In fact you probably have :smile: . I really enjoyed the tour you gave me round your neck of the woods in August thank you. Those little tracks up behind Austwick beforehand were good fun too.

Re Stainforth, did you watch those half hour walks on telly the other day? They were good examples of 'slow telly', which I like (in this case, for 'slow' read 'dirt cheap to make' :wink: ). First one was with some farming lass further north which didn't quite work for me for some reason; I quite enjoyed Shappi Khorsandi's stroll round Tidza and Monsal Dale; whatsisname toddling through Arnside was a bit boring; but Alastair Campbell doing Settle, Stainforth and Catrigg Force (?) was the best of them I thought. He had some interesting reflections and things to say, whereas the others were a lot of "ooh isn't this beautiful" which didn't really add anything. They must have felt a bit bonkers walking alone with blooming great selfie-film sticks and meeting people. Or maybe everyone does that these days and I'm out of touch. How did they disguise the sticks in the transmission? Some sort of editing? Or maybe they were transparent!
Yes, enjoy them. The farming lass is "The Yorkshire Shepherdess", sort of a celebrity, she writes about farming in the Dales and there's a set of TV series following her.

Those tracks around Austwick, Feizor & Wharfe are really nice, just a pity there aren't more like them.

I think the software blanks out the stick leading down to the holder, you can see the handle on some shots. John Climber will know better as he has one (or at least the stills version).
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

whitestone wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:25 pm Cath was "out with the girls on their xmas dinner ride" today so got a lift over to Austwick and rode home via Feizor, Stainforth, over the tops to Malham then took the canal towpath to Skipton and then roads home. 48km and 1000m of ascent, took it steady - conversational pace though the climb out of Stainforth is anything but! Really mirky and muddy on the tops, the sun came out just as I got home.
Good to here the girls getting out, :smile: and you got some miles in. :-bd
I was born at austwick, so hearing about feizor as well, brings back childhood memories of Oxenber wood in between these two.and revisiting those places again on school holidays. Feizor Cracking tea shop.! :-bd :grin:
Stainforth looks steep on the maps as a descend on the Pennine 'bridalway route, though haven't been there myself. :roll:
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I decided to have a different Sunday night last night. So after watching the footy and my lamb roast, I packed my sleeping bag in my rucksack and headed out at 7pm in the car. The 20 minute drive was a bit dodgy due to the fog that was lingering but once I made my way up the hill, the full moon came into show.
Image20211219_180615 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

There wasn't much need for lights tbh as the ground was well lit up
Image20211219_182017 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Familiar trails to Eigiau cottage
Image20211219_182230 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211219_184214 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

second home!
Image20211219_184904 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I soon got the fire going to warm the place up
Image20211219_190552 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Frosty morning
Image20211220_072423 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

I was back at the car for 8am and in work for 9 :-bd
Image20211220_073623 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Verena

Post by Verena »

Very nice
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

Given the weather forecast between now and next year, this afternoon's spin out was probably the last of 2021. I decided to enjoy it and not charge about at my usual (modest) pace, but take it easy, stop to take photos, bunny hop on and off kerbs and ride down steps. It was a leisurely 13 miles from Aigburth along Liverpool prom to the Pier Head, returning the same way before cutting through Festival Gardens, St Michael's and Lark Lane to Sefton Park and then zooming through Otterspool back to the prom for the final stretch home. Thoroughly enjoyable it was too, and my new pogies were a success.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
psling

Post by psling »

Enjoyed a last ride out before Christmas yesterday with a couple of mates in the Brecon Beacons, rode from Talybont up over the top to Dolygaer and round to Pontsticil then over The Gap. Dusting of snow on the top of Pen y Fan and some ice on the rock steps. After the descent from The Gap there is a narrow bridleway that carries on down the valley; about 10 years ago I rode it and vowed never to ride it again. It's horribly narrow, overgrown and rocky. Big round stoppers of rocks. Well, guess what, it's still just as bad. Next time I'll listen to myself and stay well clear :roll:
Got back to the van cold, wet and beat up. Excellent ride :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well third in a row ending up like a drowned rat *sigh* Still at least I got out into the fresh air. Looks like more of the same tomorrow so my pre turkey ride may end up being on my Dads exercise bike :o
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I took my OOF out this morning, newly fitted with a Lauf fork (thanks again Allen) and with 3.8 Surly Nates on new wheels. It was cold, wet, windy and deeply muddy and not a lot of fun, but I really wanted to check out the rebuild and play with tyre pressures.

I started out with 10psi in both front and rear, which still makes for a pretty firm fat bike tyre but also means I can do the 2 mile road ride to and from the trails without breathing through my ears.

The Lauf fork is brilliant. It's only got an inch or so of travel and its performance is very dependent on tyre pressure. Too little, and the carbon leaf springs don't move and it's really squelchy. Too much, and it just pogos up and down.

But get it right, which was surprisingly a solid 15psi, and it was just amazing. Round mine, you don't need float in a fat bike tyre, you need big grip and mild rolling performance, so it's a real balance and I think I found the best compromise.

Very happy, I am.
I'm just going outside ...
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

After a very stressfull last 6 months at work, my fitness falling off a cliff, a new and brilliant job that I started 3 weeks ago it's time to get fit for The Winter Event.

So the Angus 29er+ came out for a spin, so that my bum can get used to a day in the saddle

And it was the last ride on these non tubless Knards

Tubless Knards now fitted :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

First ride since November, was huffing and puffing like a 40 a day smoker. Good to be out and about again though, even if it was just a gentle 30km pootle. Wore lighter weight clothing than I did for the BB200 in October... 🤨 First impersonations of the Pactimo 12 Hour Bibs are very positive, super comfy, but only longer ride in hotter weather will tell...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Nice gentle 6 hour off road local ride to start the year ( 3 towers for anyone local to rivvy )
Will be a long wait till there is another new year's Day this warm. Should have worn shorts
Boab

Post by Boab »

Three rides in three days. Yesterday I gave it a few beans, as I got caught in the rain and it was noticeable today that I couldn't keep my heart rate down. No ride tomorrow, as we're back to work, then an normal Wednesday pre-work morning rise, then off to Wales for the weekend. Half way round today's easy ride I had the realisation that I'd worked myself up into a panic over next weekend and hadn't realised. Muppet. 😟

robsmuddygloves

Post by robsmuddygloves »

I went for my first ride in months, due to ill health, I'd forgotten how brutal the Fens winds can be. A long stretch of bridleway had been closed off so found myself cycling without really having any fixed destination in mind and ended up in parts I've never been, always fun. Knackered but happy after that.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I had an explore in a valley I'd not pedalled in before. A there and back route which followed some quad bike tracks and sheep tracks up the valley following Afon Caseg which is to the east of Bethesda in Snowdonia and under the gaze of Yr Elen. It's a very quiet place due to the lack of path and boggy ground. I didn't see another soul.
Some pics....
Image20220103_122946-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The view south towards the hills in the Nant Francon, Y Garn and Carnedd y Filast
Image20220103_130304_06-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Yr Elen just to the right
Image20220103_124925-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20220103_125456-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

A brew stop here behind some sheep pens sheltering out of the wind
Image20220103_140034-01 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image2022-01-03_08-06-15 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lovely that Jeff :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Fresh snow this morning!

Boab

Post by Boab »

I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later. Pulled up to a stop at an offset cross roads, looked up after making sure I was behind all relevant white lines, to see a 4x4 coming straight at me, as they cut the junction while turning right. Initially I though they were driving off, but they stopped, got out and came to make sure I was OK. Multiple other drivers stopped and offered lifts, etc, which was nice. While I initially screamed at them in frustration when I thought they were driving off, I checked my anger and reminded myself that shouting and screaming would help matters, and they were probably quite shaken up too.

A quick inspection of the bike and my clothing revealed nothing obviously wrong, apart from bent mudguard stays. So I declined all offers of a lift home and instead slowly made my way back to the house. This gave me the opportunity to stop and put the handlebars back in alignment, bend the mudguard stays back, and check my body for aches and pains. Both knees were quite sore by the time I made it home, when I removed my leg warmers it was obvious why. My left knee has grazes to the front and outside from hitting the tarmac and the right knee has light grazing to the outside from being hit by the vehicle. My left hip is slightly tender and my left shoulder is slowly seizing up; my jacket did have a small mark over the left shoulder blade, but was otherwise unmarked. I don't remember trying to break my fall with my hands, or banging my head, there's no evidence of either my gloves or my helmet having hit the tarmac, which is a bit of a relief.

For the record, I was wearing a bright yellow winter jacket and had my Exposure Strada on day bright flash mode, so not really sure what else I could've done to be more visible. Just thankful that they'd slowed down, it could've been much, much, worse if they'd still been travelling.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Bad luck Bob, pleased to hear it wasn't "worse" :sad: .
I was wearing a bright yellow winter jacket and had my Exposure Strada on day bright flash mode
- "SMIDSY". Oh really Mr/Ms/Mrs Driver, well you must have been on your phone or preening yourself in the rearview mirror then.

Boab

Post by Boab »

In their own words - "I really should pay more attention." 🤦