Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Verena

Re: Todays ride

Post by Verena »

Looks great, and a nice night/ morning for it too....

You realize you'll have to start paying council tax there soon don't you?
Alan63

Post by Alan63 »

Rode a part of An Turas Mor from Kelvingrove along the Kelvin Walkway and NCR756 to the Antonine Wall then back to Glasgow. Met Lee Craigie out running. Kept Lee company for a few miles. Beautiful day to be out and about.
BaM 2021
RIP

Post by RIP »

Our town is being massively expanded from its eastern boundary with new housing estates and some industrial areas. We've had several previous expansions in other directions and every time have been promised "infrastructure" (shops, pubs, etc) which of course never materialises - how to bugger up a perfectly nice market town in one easy lesson. Anyway, some of us in our local "Cycle Forum" group noticed the new eastern estates were rapidly appearing (the usual balsawood-framed and cardboard-clad type of house, always amusingly with his & hers black SUVs outside, wouldn't touch one with a bargepole myself). There are four existing major roads running out of the town and therefore through these new estates, plus there will be a new "arc" road linking these four roads. It soon became obvious that nobody had made any effort to plan the integration of these new estates with the existing town. Along more or less the whole boundary is an existing 10' steel fence so there is no "permeability" for non-vehicular transport (ie walking and cycling). Additionally, the four main roads have no cycle tracks next to them and in one case no pavement at all on one side! So much for "sustainability". The town is cut off from the new estates and vice versa. The excuse has been "oh they were planned 15 years ago". Livid is an understatement.

We raised our observations with a number of local councillors and now all hell has broken loose. We've been asked to conduct a survey of the situation so that "someone" can make a last-minute attempt at rectifying the mess. So myself and a Forum colleague rode the whole area today and took 70 photos of blockages, cockups, fences and whatnot. However we also found nine places where some access could be created. So maybe hope is not lost and the developers will be forced to provide these access points. Of course, they say "we've done our bit with 3m paths within the estates, not our problem". Usual hand-washing bollocks. So I'm now writing the report.

Here's four photos showing some of the existing lunacy. We reckon much of it could be rectified fairly easily. In fact we're going to ask for a couple of shovels, a truck of hardcore, some spanners and a stout hacksaw for the fencing, so we can do it ourselves for them :wink: . I reckon I could manage it for a couple of thousand quid.

Classic "ending in the middle of nowhere" new cycle/walking track. 200 yards further an existing one is already there!

Even worse, a main new track which ends at the steel fence at the town boundary!

Track around the perimeter of a new estate. Wrong width and no connections to the houses!

This track is even signed, but leads straight onto the impenetrable fence at the end of the cul-de-sac. Nice considerate parking Sir!

Last edited by RIP on Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 pm . So myself and a Forum colleague rode the whole area today and took 70 photos of blockages, cockups, fences and whatnot. However we also found nine places where some access could be created. So maybe hope is not lost and the developers will be forced to provide these access points. Of course, they say "we've done our bit with 3m paths within the estates, not our problem". Usual hand-washing bollocks. So I'm now writing the report.

Here's four photos showing some of the existing lunacy. We reckon much of it could be rectified fairly easily. In fact we're going to ask for a couple of shovels, a truck of hardcore, some spanners and a stout hacksaw for the fencing, so we can do it ourselves for them :wink: . I reckon I could manage it for a couple of thousand quid.

Classic "ending in the middle of nowhere" new cycle/walking track. 200 yards further an existing one is already there!

Even worse, a main new track which ends at the steel fence at the town boundary!

Track around the perimeter of a new estate. Wrong width and no connections to the houses!

This track is even signed, but leads straight onto the steel fence at the end of the cul-de-sac. Nice considerate parking Sir!

Ts great you're being a Pro-active persistent Pedant. Three cheer to being a Pain in the arse, I mean,Pain In their side. :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:50 pm Pain in the arse
You're right, I'd like nothing better than to ram a baguette right up their derrieres where the soleil don't brille.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

faustus

Post by faustus »

Sounds frustrating, but good on you for doing some leg work which might enact some positive change. I think many towns suffer from this thoughtless approach to any other form of transport. I need to do a similar thing in my area really: since starting to commute to nursery with 2 kids in a trailer, the lengths I have to go to to avoid danger or cross roads safely is bonkers. Still much quicker than sitting in a car mind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

faustus wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:49 am starting to commute to nursery with 2 kids in a trailer
:-bd

Boab

Post by Boab »

Wasn't particularly nice out on the bike this morning. Forecast was for a low percentage chance of rain, so didn't take my water proof trousers or gloves. Got pissed on for 40KM. That kind of cold penetrating damp that takes all the heat away from your thighs, and make it feel like you can't get any power out. Still got to get this months bivy in, but just can't be arsed...

There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:28 pm Our town is being massively expanded from its eastern boundary with new housing estates and some industrial areas. We've had several previous expansions in other directions and every time have been promised "infrastructure" (shops, pubs, etc) which of course never materialises - how to bugger up a perfectly nice market town in one easy lesson. Anyway, some of us in our local "Cycle Forum" group noticed the new eastern estates were rapidly appearing (the usual balsawood-framed and cardboard-clad type of house, wouldn't touch one with a bargepole myself). There are four existing major roads running out of the town and therefore through these new estates, plus there will be a new "arc" road linking these four roads. It soon became obvious that nobody had made any effort to plan the integration of these new estates with the existing town. Along more or less the whole boundary is an existing 10' steel fence so there is no "permeability" for non-vehicular transport (ie walking and cycling). Additionally, the four main roads have no cycle tracks next to them and in one case no pavement at all on one side! So much for "sustainability". The town is cut off from the new estates and vice versa. The excuse has been "oh they were planned 15 years ago". Livid is an understatement.

We raised our observations with a number of local councillors and now all hell has broken loose. We've been asked to conduct a survey of the situation so that "someone" can make a last-minute attempt at rectifying the mess. So myself and a Forum colleague rode the whole area today and took 70 photos of blockages, cockups, fences and whatnot. However we also found nine places where some access could be created. So maybe hope is not lost and the developers will be forced to provide these access points. Of course, they say "we've done our bit with 3m paths within the estates, not our problem". Usual hand-washing bollocks. So I'm now writing the report.
Been involved in this for a good while being a Transport Planner for a few years and now Traffic Management; in my local Council.
The problem is planning legislation (I would say it is better up here than down there, sorry....) which makes it very difficult to impose conditions on infrastructure outwith the 'red line' planning boundary i.e. the development site boundary - hence all your dead end cycleways. Its too easy for Developers to wriggle out of 'non essential' infrastructure provision and too hard for LA's to press for it.

Part of the problem is that its fairly straightforward to assess trips (TRICS) out of a new development and equate them to traffic volume, and therefore be able to assess roads infrastructure. But doing something similar for active travel is much more subjective. Our approach of telling them to link everything with everything else falls on deaf ears. We tried setting mode share targets for strategic development plans but this ultimately lead to developers getting away with less roads provision and hee haw (or token) cycleway and bus provision. Buy in by developers is minimal and they are always trying to sell houses they know will be appealing i.e. detached in cul-de-sacs and barriered from the scumbags. They don't care if their prospective residents have to use cars for every trip..... The stuff you get in Transport Assessments for active travel is pathetic and usually along the lines of " all roads have 20's so anyone can cycle anywhere on them and the Cooncil will do the rest"

Designing Streets in Scotland went a long way to addressing all of this and is policy rather than guidance (unlike the 'Manual for Streets' in Englandshire) but interestingly, we get a lot of complaints from new residents about various aspects of Designing Streets infrastructure, usually relating to lack of off-street parking, complaints about foot / cycleway links (which are used by ne'er-do-wells, as evidenced by Reg's many BAMS :grin: ) and total incomprehension about roads designed to 20mph.....

Generally we, as Councils, end up having to pick up the pieces (and get all the complaints, long after the Developer has scarpered) but with BA cash and in many cases no option due to land ownership....

It's also usual for Developers to screw us for roads infrastructure as well so no-one is a winner except their shareholders.....
RIP

Post by RIP »

An interesting perspective Phil thanks. Almost a thankless task for you guys on the inside and you have my admiration. Stuck between developers who just want to turn a fast buck and rake in bonuses (Pers1mm0n we're looking at you for example) (oiled along with bungs to the government party of the day), residents who want to drive 50 yards to the shop, government who demand or pretend to demand active travel priorities, and active travel supporters like me.

Interesting that some authorities do it better than others. Milton Keynes just up the road manage to create all these connections to their new estates. The internal roads are also much more along the lines of the 'shared space' model. And the houses themselves are far more interesting/radical too. Our new estates look little different to those from decades ago.

RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. I see you're on 'red alert' in Fife tonight. Ideal BaM conditions! Pitched low probably best :smile: . Marquee pegs and nose 1" from the tarp?

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

RIP wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 7:21 pm PS. I see you're on 'red alert' in Fife tonight. Ideal BaM conditions! Pitched low probably best :smile: . Marquee pegs and nose 1" from the tarp?
Aye and I'm duty manager :roll: I was stressing about the cold weather and potential for snow and ice and timings so I can programme the gritting when this bloody gale appeared!
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Here's my film from my bivvy a couple of weeks back in that old slate building:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l3dNTOZMHU

Enjoy and let me know what you think :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Woohoo!

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

You've got some lovely hills up there Jeff.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

GGTF
I've been stuck in the house all day coordinating fallen tree removal. Wish I'd bitten the bullet a few years ago and got a wood burner in as I'd now have enough timber to see me through the apocalypse.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

fatbikephil wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:25 pm GGTF
I knew you'd be pleased :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Drenched. Soaked. Saturated. Freezing cold.

That was today's ride. A proper wet one after which I was properly cold.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Well yesterdays, but imgbb was playing up so I couldn't put the photos in....
Finished up a rather fraught week thanks to storms, snow and ice and got out the house as soon as I could hoping to make the best of a fine afternoon. Off up to my local hills as usual hoping to score some snow. Nothing was visible despite a fair bit of wet snow / sleet coming in the previous night but I ground up the big climb out of Tilly in the hope of finding it it on high.
Just bits but the ground was still pretty frozen with plenty of 'suicider' ice....

Onwards and upwards to the top for fine views all round. A fair bit of snow up north by the looks and more to come
The river Forth glinting in the sun

Then along the ridge and down the hill much care needed on the lethal water ice. More snow now but got non bike commitments tomorrow so it will have to wait :-(
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

It was the tenth Global Fat Bike Day today so I was determined to get out. We had some lovely, fluffy snow this morning but it turned to vert wet sleet as the day went on and by the time I could get out it was like riding along an icy river. The snow improved up around Glenmore but it was very wet again on the way back. With temperatures plummeting I could actually feel it slowly icing up as I descended to Aviemore and I was glad to get home before it finally froze solid.

RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm afraid I'm not a great subscriber to the Christmas/Winterval/Yule/Saturnalia bandwagon - the last-mentioned of those might be the one I'd go for perhaps (*) - but my parents are a little more traditional so I have to get them a tree. My 'kids' tend to come 'home', so we give the odd nod to things here too - at the Perrinery we have had a dead elm branch 'tree' for the past 15 years, which I found by the river. Sanded off and smoothed, it looks very festive in the corner of the parlour. I've made some crackers as well - bog roll inners, wrapped in newspaper, with hand written jokes and bits of chocs inside, although I had to buy the "cracker" strips.

Anyway, the tree.... ridiculous idea really so I'm trying to be as "eco" as possible with it. They flog them at the country park a couple of miles up the road, where they grow them too, so that's a good start. Went up there yesterday on the bike to check they had the smallest ones. They did, so I reserved one, then went back to fetch it today with the bike and trailer. "Nobody's ever done that before", they said. I strapped it down, checked the QR skewer and off we went. I hoped the trailer wouldn't come adrift, leaving me to arrive home like Thomas The Tank Engine leaving Annie and Clarabel behind by mistake. No bother at all, although I got some funny looks going through town - so that was a bonus :smile: .

(*) "a lawless, drunken time in Rome where literally anything was okay. Saturn, the Roman god of agriculture, liberation and time (and parties!), was celebrated at what is perhaps the most famous of the Roman festivals, the Saturnalia, It was a time of feasting, role reversals, free speech, gift-giving and revelry. (read: gender-bending sex, drinking, telling people off, trading gifts and doing whatever you want)". Marvellous!

RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm getting into this Trees-By-Bike thing. Was out planting a load of saplings and whatnot down by the railway this morning with a big cheese from the Tree Council and some other volunteers. There were a fair number left over so I asked if I could nab some for my guerilla planting spot near the river. Expecting a few little bits and bobs that I could put in my pocket he thrust a big sack at me and said "nice one, thanks, here you go". Ah. Just got to get them home the other side of town on the Brommie now which could be interesting. Ten roses, ten hornbeam, five dogwood, five hazel, and twenty hawthorn (OUCH). An, er, erratic and wobbly journey back to say the least. Going to be busy next week, sigh.

ledburner

Post by ledburner »

:mrgreen: yesterday I took my car for it Mot, then walked home 3.5 miles, with a bag of DIY materials bought next door to the garage.A cold windy walk, 45 mins later I did a few Tasks, After the weekly Later Al flow test (yuk). a very quick lunch, green curry pot noodle actually edible :smile: .I got the Mtb bike out cycle i the opposite direectio to the priority post box, then back to the garage. I think the front tyre was, a little soft, but it would take longer to pump up a 29er tyre with a mini pump than it would save me time tying up hill d down Dale. Got there, sorted & paid up. the car was then blocked in by the HGV garage putting a cab back on a tractor unit chassis. and a HGV delivery for the Builder store. late for work ho humm :???: .doing that afternoon& evening shift
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

But got lots of exercise and my 10k steps by 2nd home visit call. :-bd
3 cheers for summer full finger gloves & in lines pogies!
no pictures all semi urban post industrial Pennine landscape & damp grey lighting. ) :-bd
Verena

Post by Verena »

RIP wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:34 pm I'm getting into this Trees-By-Bike thing. Was out planting a load of saplings and whatnot down by the railway this morning with a big cheese from the Tree Council and some other volunteers. There were a fair number left over so I asked if I could nab some for my guerilla planting spot near the river. Expecting a few little bits and bobs that I could put in my pocket he thrust a big sack at me and said "nice one, thanks, here you go". Ah. Just got to get them home the other side of town on the Brommie now which could be interesting. Ten roses, ten hornbeam, five dogwood, five hazel, and twenty hawthorn (OUCH). An, er, erratic and wobbly journey back to say the least. Going to be busy next week, sigh.

Good effort there with both trees on bikes trips, you may be onto something there... I've done big bowsaw on bike to cut down some trees that needed thinning...and last year I saw a man a few times ferrying round logs for firewood on his bike, always hoped I'd get a chance to say hi but never did...