Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Re: Todays ride

Post by Rapideye »

To be fair, they didn't know where to turn. I met up with 4 of them and tried to get them to head to the river on the right where Mum was calling them. 1 made it quite quickly out the way. These 3 ended up walking the track and bang smack into a runner brandishing half a bush who'd been shoo-ing them on from his direction. He seemed quite fearful of them until they moved out the way and then he ran off, leaving me stuck with them in the front of me. One of them started hissing at me until I told it to 'cut it out and 'keep moving, keep moving!' They knew then they were dealing with a professional and then made it across ground towards the river. Boundaries and discipline...boundaries and discipline! Just like looking after the Kids :cool:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Yesterday's ride, rather than today's. I did consider heading for the King's Forest and this Gravel Champs thing, but couldn't be arsed.

So I headed into the fens instead. They were looking glorious with the mist, if a tad damp with all the dew.

A stop for coffee and cake, then it was time to head home.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

yesterday ride :-bd Long thd narrow canal, climbing all15 locks. so a little exercise. I tinkered in the shed & made a 'Timber-bell', in the morning from a broken bell. This was the 1st test of the 'Tinker-bell' :lol:
Not as loud a I hoped, a couple of middle aged pootlers in bikes(in front) , she commented when I eventually passed them, 'I wondered where that loverly music was coming from!', else it gently made others aware I was approaching.
the high light of the rider not the barely clad or vbarely contain' women on a gravel bike :roll: :-bd . it was all the fellas, she passed and how they all almost ended in the canal. All for a bit of jiggly lycra! she should raise those bars, its no good for her back, or theirs! :-bd
I hope you think you know, what I might of exactly meant.
Warning - may contain value odded typos & ither mythspellings..
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

on Wednesday t had a, good run, with mates on the road bike, definitely no just tarmac. 28mm types on surfaced canal & cycle paths, cobbles & gravel farm roads. From nr Halifax (west Vale, Elland) to Hebden Bridge on sustran paths. Hardcastle craggs, Shackleton to walshaw Dean. on gravel roads, then a more hills to blackshaw head, descending Mythrolm steeps gradient >1:6 for 1/4 mile. hot rims. then same route return along canal. and sustran route lots of gravel & up & down. round trip 35miles, felt good.
I cycle up this but at the limit of grip for 28mm Road tyres on dirt. 34cfront (egg) ring, 32 rear.
I was over geared they were both on 28 fronts cogs. no wonder I had to wait... :lol:

we lost a bar in chocolate on route, or one of us snaffled it. :shock: :lol:
hike a bike
hike a bike
IMG_24092021_142800_(600_x_800_pixel).jpg (167.36 KiB) Viewed 2897 times
Boab

Post by Boab »

It started off dry, but with an ominous sky...

I'm not fan of a cap under a helmet, but this one is waterproof. The idea being it'll stop water, and thus sweat, from running into my right eye and irritating it. It seemed to do this job this morning, but that was only wet for a couple of hours. I can see the cap being useless in the summer as my bonce got quite warm...

By the end of the ride, it wasn't half blowing and pissing it down.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Popped out for an short easy ride, just to test the new tyres and hydration vest. Turns out the reservoir has a knick in it, so CamelBak has been sent a disappointed note asking for a replacement; looks like it'll be clarty bottles for this weekends bivvy. I also found the limit of the new tyres pretty quickly, coming to a halt on the second muddy section, as they'd picked up so much mud they stopped the front wheel from rotating. Soon after that, I found their grip limit, as the front wheel went one way, and I headed the other way into the verge.

I also lost the front wheel at roughly the same place, when going back in the other direction. It was slightly more unexpected the second time and my left shoulder is letting me know it isn't too happy with my feeble attempts at bike handling. The tyres feel pretty robust though, fine on the flats and downhills, slightly slow and heavy on the ups. I also think I can loose a few psi front and back, but pretty pleased with them as they seem to have more grip than the Resolutes they've replaced.

Anyway, it was a nice morning for a couple of crashes...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Headed out for a short ride to Grantown and back in search of a savoury scone and a coffee.

Sated, I decided it was too nice a day to head straight back home so detoured via Rynettin and Ryvoan.

There was a ground frost overnight and a wee bit of snow on the hills at the weekend so got to make the most of the milder weather while it's here.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

There's not much in the way of wilderness or dramatic landscapes in east Northamptonshire, but we can do pleasant tracks through rolling farmland.
ImageSunday ride by Robert Smith, on Flickr
ImageSunday ride by Robert Smith, on Flickr
psling

Post by psling »

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:36 pm Er, another gate. Actually this one's a bit more interesting. We approach it. It's a kissing gate (photo). Also has a five-bar jobby next to it. Jezzer reaches it first. Looks hard at the kissing gate, about to open it, walk through and hoik his bike over. Stops. Looks again. "There's a padlock on it Reg, it won't slide, can't open it". That's a bit weird, it's a well-used ROW (short cheeky footpath cut-through, sorry sorry...). Nope deffo padlocked. Jezzer struggles manfully to get his bike over the 5-bar instead. Falls off it. Laughs it off. Reg does the same. Gets his leg stuck in the bars. Jezzer helps with his bike. Reg climbs down the other side. Get our breath back. Just about to set off and Reg has a closer look at the padlock. It's certainly pretty stout. Stands back. Looks the whole gate slider and latch over carefully. Er, Jez.... <Reg points>......... Jezzer sighs and slaps his forehead.... #-O :wink: . Getting old.

RIP wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:16 pm And it's got that hefty anti-tamper cage round the padlock as well - what's all that about? For a start it's just a short path connecting two bridleways. Then surely if you were desperate not to lift the latch but fancied breaking the padlock wouldn't you just saw the loop? With every alternative easier than smashing the padlock body why have they gone to such lengths to stop you?

More to this than meets the eye I fancy.

I know I'm very late to the party here but... the part of the slider that projects into the lift-catch is also the only part that fouls the kissing gate vertical frame(s). Unlock and remove the padlock and the slider will pull back sufficiently to clear the frame and can therefore open wide (rather than just within the kissing gate part) :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just went out for a steady road ride. Unfortunately I partly swallowed a bee about five minutes into the ride and it had stung my upper lip before I had time to get it out. :shock: Jeez! That hurt, felt quite nauseous for a few minutes afterwards. My lip was still obviously swollen three hours later but is going down now after I’ve had some anti-histamines, my face still looks swollen though. :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Down at the folks so went for a ride around Hamsterley forest and the moors between Teesdale and Weardale. Ended up being a compact version of what I'm expecting next weekend - similar climbing per km, a mix of trail types from forest roads and trail centre stuff to moorland double and singletrack plus a nice stroll through dense heather and bracken up and down a steep gorge.
Boab

Post by Boab »

A touch chilly at 06:30 this morning, so put the knee warmers on. Then spent most of the ride pulling the left one up, as it kept falling down. While at it, I was also having to pull the left leg of the bib shorts down.

Lots of dew on the grass, so I should've worn my waterproof socks, or overshoes, instead I got cold wet feet.

Got back to the house to find I'd ripped a Boa dial off.

so two new orders with expensive delivery to get more bits before the weekend... :-(
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Hadn't been out for a few weeks but so glad I kicked my @rse out on Sunday for a good fresh air fix with plenty of HAB thrown in!
ImageIMG_20211010_111350_271 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211010_102528 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211010_115025 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

A nice 1000ft off piste descent into Cwm Eigiau
Image20211010_120851 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211010_121427 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It's the National Day of Spain today so despite Cataluña still fighting for independence, most businesses are closed. We decided to have a ride around the Ebro Delta, 40km with a total of 7metres of climbing. The Delta is a major rice production area and now the harvest is finished, the farmers drive specially adapted tractors over the muddy fields to mulch up the vegetation. It looks great fun with muck flying everwhere. Some of the machines are ancient with the drivers sitting under canvas covers but still ending up covered in the stuff.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Hi

I don't really have too much of a story behind this post, apart from being blown around in the van all night before I set off for a ride.

First time it stopped raining I snapped a piccy

The second picture I took was after the morning rain.

Maesnant Outdoor Centre

Got caught in a bog...

And then another

Met a guy called Ed en route - he rides a gravel bike well!

I spent 6 hours on the bike in "prep" for the bb200. God knows if it worked.

I made two more friends :)

Boab

Post by Boab »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 pm Image
Loving that bike! 😍
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 pm Got caught in a bog...
And then another

Did you perfect the flying over the bars dismount? :lol:

At least it wasn't past your axles (or ankles) :-bd
= lot of scheduled maintainence& expense... :cry:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Boab wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:23 pm
Loving that bike! 😍

It's going to take some getting used too, but thank you.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Escape Goat wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:38 pm
Boab wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:23 pm
Loving that bike! 😍

It's going to take some getting used too, but thank you.

ledburner wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:33 am
Escape Goat wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:30 pm Got caught in a bog...
And then another

Did you perfect the flying over the bars dismount? :lol:

At least it wasn't past your axles (or ankles) :-bd
= lot of scheduled maintainence& expense... :cry:

And it grabbed the back wheel just as much. Luckily ha!
RIP

Post by RIP »

9 miles down the canal to the dentist for a checkup. No they don't operate out of a barge. Autumn is certainly here now.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ledburner

Post by ledburner »

RIP wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:02 am 9 miles down the canal to the dentist for a checkup. No they don't operate out of a barge. Autumn is certainly here now.

That quite some lunch box there boy-o!
RIP

Post by RIP »

ledburner wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:15 pm That quite some lunch box there boy-o!
That probably explains the otherwise unaccountable attraction from all those landladies on my BaMs..... I hadn't realised my map-holder had a mirror finish though I must admit.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Boab

Post by Boab »

[Insert favoured deity here] it was chilly this morning... Would've been a much nicer ride if Hermes hadn't "lost" a parcel containing a new pair of winter gloves that should've arrived last week. Cretins.

Instead, it took 30km before my hands warmed up enough in my neoprene gloves, that I could feel my pinkies again.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Don't do that much bike training (skills not "fitness" (never have, never will); and delivering it, not receiving it myself) these days, but got roped in to do some sessions with Year 4 at XYZ School across town today. Bit rusty and ropey to start with but soon got back into it. It really is a lot of fun, hopefully for them too :smile: . Lots of cones all over the place... limbo poles... etc etc.... So this is Cheery Friday as well as Today's Ride I think.

Anyway, obviously took all my gear in the bike trailer, including my folded Brompton. Always a good ice-breaker: "well you've all got bikes, where's mine?" (hiding behind the table)... "well spotted etc, how long do you think it will take to turn back into a bike?".... "an hour"(!), "2 minutes" etc.... 8 seconds later there's a bike.. cue open mouths. And away we go.

Of course the more observant ones wanted to know what all those bags on the bike are for..........

summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

It was quite a mild night for November last night. I stayed at a place I'd used a few times before and it was fantastic tbf. This morning I headed over to the crash site of a Bristol Blenheim from 1940 were 4 crew lost there lives.
Image20211113_164443 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Bunting and a fire in a fireplace
Image20211113_222655 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211114_095334 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211114_095421 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20211114_095946 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

ImageScreenshot_20211114-124304_Chrome by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube: