Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Todays ride

Post by RIP »

Half? Top or bottom?

You around a week on Thurs for a be... I mean bivi?
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

RIP wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:45 am Half? Top or bottom?

You around a week on Thurs for a be... I mean bivi?
The "pudding" half :roll:
Possibly....if you fancy a climbing wall trip too :-bd
May you always have tail wind.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Rode a circuit from home which included a section of historic track called Mar's Road, now sadly been out of use for years. Part of it is still signed as a footpath but the section that interested me can only be followed by using field boundaries. The track was shown on old OS maps, 6" and 1" but not the most recent. Anyway, I have been wanting to ride this for some time, just to prove it is still possible. Unfortunately quite a bit is overgrown, grass 2' high and gorse, which involved a lot of hike-a-bike, mostly it can be followed along a narrow animal track following the fence. Now I've done it I don't have to do it again.

https://www.strava.com/activities/2651428585
techno

Post by techno »

Went out on the pubduro ride this weekend. Met up with 6 others including Chew at high paradise farm cafe (jeez are their staff grumpy, and it wasn't remotely busy).
The route was good with only a couple of poor road sections, which were probably worse than usual due to the bank holiday and excellent weather! It took us to some lovely bits of the NYM some of which I've not been to before. Bivvied in a roman fort and visited all the recommended pubs plus some extras too!
composite

Post by composite »

Put the knobblies on the cx bike and did some off road. It was lots of fun, I always forget how great the Kite handles bombing down singletrack. It was a hot day and some refreshments were required.

gallowayboy

Post by gallowayboy »

Extra day off for me after the end of school jollies, so with no work and no domestic duties planned, what better than that good old ride from the doorstep Mary Towneley Loop? Didnt do one last year so felt even more compelled to face the joys of Rooley Moor Road, endless uneven flags and cobbles - oh - and the grassy path from hell!
A grey day with occasional drizzle and an inexplicable sunny interval at Top of Leach made for reasonable progress. Off route wanderings at Whitworth Golf Club, a Mannings pie in Waterfoot, millions of gates and to top it all, twelve people clothed all in white singing beautifully in a field at Holmes Chapel (?)......a great day as usual, even if it hurts a bit!

Hard to do it justice with one drab photo...
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Training up the next generation of bikepackers, I managed to get the mini Landslides round the green and blue routes at Sherwood Pines today (with the odd helping hand on the smallest Landslide's back).

Encouragingly, they preferred the techier blue trail...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

It was our village mountainbike race today, 5th round of the series covering Southern Cataluna. Pretty well all the village turned out for the 9am start. I race the long route, 40km with 1,000m of ascent and virtually no road, MrsPB opted for the short 30km 700m route. 215 riders entered and the first few km of singletrack were a bit hectic. I was going well after a steady start when I began to feel the rear tyre deflating. At about half way I had to stop and give it a blast with a CO2 cannister but that only lasted a few km until I got back to the village to borrow a track pump for the final 10km loop. This lasted the climb out of the village but was bottoming against the rim on the descent. It finally gave up and I ran the final 5km, assuming I'd lost the lead in my class. Crossed the ljne and 1 min later my main rival appeared so I'd won after all. To cap a strange day, MrsPB came 2nd local lady and, in a raffle sponsored by a local honey producer, won the weight of her bike in honey! We now have enough for the forseeable future.
On of my mates was out marshalling and managed to video me on one of the trickier sections, believe me it's steeper than it looks.
Emburgada 2019 https://imgur.com/gallery/JUnZaoe
RIP

Post by RIP »

<mini-rant> (sorry)

Went out for a wobble with Mrs Perrin just now. Ended up going past nasty new "edge of town retail park". Had a look. Deeply dispiriting. Usual suspects: C*sta, K*C (with "drive thru" for lazy people who can't spell I think), B&M(?), and M&S "food hall" (sounds like some sort of National Trust building).

Nice car park. Nobody else on bikes. Cycle provision: 100 yards of "cycle track" next to the road from 100 yards before the entrance to the entrance - dropping you straight into the car park. No bike parking. I objected to the original plans for partly those reasons - ignored obviously.

Sign inside trolley park in photo says something like "thank you for bringing your eco-friendly bag for life" (I thought they were referring to Mrs Perrin for a moment there). Turn round and look in the window - everything plastic wrapped and all in chillers. No loose goods at all.

Discredited decades ago surely. All IMHO of course :wink: cos everyone else in their motors seemed to like it. Although nobody was smiling.

ImageRetail heaven. Panda got eyes closed.

ImageParadise.

</mini-rant>

R (who obv much prefers a more Victorian-style shopping 'experience' with lots of rats, rotten apples, etc :smile: )
Last edited by RIP on Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

A very pleasant 20miles along the Thames path from Greenwich to Erith and back, sun was out and very interesting riding along looking at the old moorings, still quite an industrious river further out. Think Reg would enjoy it, lots of old industrial relics.

Got home and did another 15miles wobbling around country side on the bromnie, explorer square now up to 15x15 :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
RIP

Post by RIP »

Love the pics Steve. Brompton looks right at home. Post-industrial apocalypse. And yes indeedy, I am proud to be an old relic :-bd . Right, off t'station now (on Brom of course) to pick up tickets for Sept baby-BaM this weekend (in Solihull..) and Oct BaM (three changes on the train to get to Cromford; bound to go pear-shaped). Already got tickets for big-BaM at BB Central next week. Both Sept BaMs due bad weather after months of sunshine, all in accordance with my Pickers Forecast. One good thing with pre-booked trains is there's no excuse to bottle out whatever the weather.

(Am leaning towards that Daventry/Woodford scheme for Nov BaM but no firm plans)

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I might have an idea for November :wink: It’s a little silly :-bd
I’m enjoying the bromnie, getting in a lot of rides at times/places where they wouldn’t normally happen. The above was off the cuff, finished job early, so went exploring. Surprisingly enjoyable ride, lots going on beside the river, I enjoy riding through London, it connects the dots, I did a job in a very posh Kensington hotel last week, ride, Thames clipper then ride again. Fold and stroll into hotel :-bd Followed by a ride from Kensington to three mills island (Bow).
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ssnowman

Post by ssnowman »

BigdummySteve wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 10:33 pm A very pleasant 20miles along the Thames path from Greenwich to Erith and back, sun was out and very interesting riding along looking at the old moorings, still quite an industrious river further out. Think Reg would enjoy it, lots of old industrial relics.

I've done the exact same ride on my Brompton.
May satan walk with you
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We did a short ride this morning in the hills opposite to where the packrafting weekend was held.

Stuart mentioned it at the weekend so with bad weather forecast for the afternoon a quick blast was in order. Bloomin' 'eck, the start went on a bit: 200m of ascent in the first 2km! That got us just past the end of the tarmac. There were a few forestry tracks not on the map so we took a guess and a signpost appeared (always a good sign) unfortunately it pointed through someone's garden. However the natives were friendly (you'd get on with him Stu - he's got owls and hawks) and with a few pointers we bashed our way through the woods to find the bridleway over the top to the next cwm. This was mostly rideable apart from diversions due to fallen trees.

By the time we'd got out of that bit of woodland the sun had disappeared so it was just a steady ride round some more forest before a big descent on fireroad back to the lower part of our outward journey. Only 14km but 440m of climbing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

After the weekends exertions, and having just read Bridgets BAM report, I went out for a wee spin on the fatbike and just sat by a very peaceful Loch an Eilean for a while, listening to the water lapping on the shore, the birds and the insects. I think they call it mindfullness these days.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:22 am I think they call it mindfullness these days.
Damn, I thought it was "depressurising", I'm so out of touch!
🙄😜😂
MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

An early morning bimble around the twistier parts of Woburn golf course ("Tin Hut" route is always good Value For Money, very dry & flowy); brekkie; shower then off to the guitar shop with the sprog to "invest in his future" :lol: .
May you always have tail wind.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A very enjoyable bimble over the moors near Sheffield. Happy to ride all the way up a nemesis climb without dabbing; disappointed to learn the while thing is only 1.1km long. It feels like more.
Took my time rolling around, it meant I took in more sights than usual.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B317T4Kl4-K/
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

10 days since last ride so this week I said to myself I must get out... Bike washed the other day and lubed this am. Managed to repair the Wildcat full framebag with the help of the missus yesterday and now its more shoulderable aswell (which is nice cos I first learnt/heard about the importancr of shouderability factor from one of Ians blogs itself*).

Was meant to go out for a 50ish miler (well tried to get my head round it thats what needed to be done) but as soon as the little'un got in and mentioned, 'bike ride', I gave in and said lets go...

What a mission it is keeping a 4 year old safe across the roads but we managed and a bit of the Spem Valley Greenway later we have this Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/NmDvI7I2Z0

Included some pics of Mikes bike cos if you ask him nicely he'll probably sell it ya... My buddy unfortunately didn't want it as apparently the CK and the Fox is somehow not too pleasing to the eye (he's probably going for an all blacj Cube!)...

* The velcro for the top was coming away from the main body. So I undid it a little and whilst sewing it back together we made 2 straps of velcro. So when it needs shouldering you just undo the strap/section closer to the seattube and voila... Its obviously a very well used bag but I'm hoping to keep it alive for some meuseum one day :-bd
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I finally got a bike back in action so went out for a pootle out to the chase for lunch just in time for it to start raining. I wasn’t wearing enough wet weather gear and the gravel bike probably wasn’t the best bike to take on a slippery root infested trail but it was good to be out of the house and I didn’t drown so it’s all good
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Today's ride didn't happen......

Today's should have been up at Sandwood Bay but unfortunately after 240 miles of the 500 my van decided to throw an engine/electrical vault and go into limp mode. This meant a slow 60 mph drive back home to wrap up an 11 hours behind the wheel. After the heavy traffic and torrential rain my 7 hour drive to just past Abington services took the usual 4 to get home.
I will return... O and today I got stuck in traffic for 3 hours (usually takes 45minutes) after thinking a local trip to Newborough was going to get me out, friggin traffic (for info I ended up going on the beer this afternoon instead of riding)
So next Easter all being well I plan on initiating Plan B:
I want to do Octobers half term plan, which is:
Ride Sandwood Bay
Stay at Strarthan bothy (Sandwood)
Stay at Shenavall on the loop
and something down on Skye

I know they are relatively tame and not big miles and more of an overnight trip here and there but have i missed any belters?
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Skye: I've yet to stay at the Lookout Bothy. Looks fantastic though.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:49 pm Skye: I've yet to stay at the Lookout Bothy. Looks fantastic though.
Yeah looks good but slso looks a cold place to stay, if you know what I mean?

Instagram:

YouTube:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

finally out on the MTB and the shoulder held up relatively well - will be a while before i am doing full on technical stuff mind

For the record no amount of flat road riding* on your commute will prepare you for 1000 ft of climbing [ in one go] on a SS.
On the plus side now its healed [ ok tolerable] I will actually exit a winter fitter than I entered it -not sure that has ever happened before

about 800 ft n 40 miles - thankfully if i turn right out my house its only a mile to the hills
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I headed over to Newborough on Anglesey this morning for a wet stormy ride.
Fun times!
ImageIMG_20191101_140811_554 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20191101_110556 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20191101_104906 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube: