Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

summittoppler

Re: Todays ride

Post by summittoppler »

This week is the start of my summer hols. Have I mentioned I get 5 weeks off :-bd
Today's ride was a stunner with superb views of Snowdon and beyond...
Image20190716_164617 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The track in the distance is the Llanberis path up Snowdon
Image20190716_164418 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

View down to Llanberis
Image20190716_141326 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Snowdon to the right
Image20190716_134740 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

The Rangers path in the distance
Image20190716_132108 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Steep pushing!
Image20190716_131100 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Telegraph valley
Image20190716_124027 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190716_131637 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Yes I know, fat bikes are so boring :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

summittoppler wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm This week is the start of my summer hols. Have I mentioned I get 5 weeks off :-bd
Looks like you've hit the jackpot weatherwise according to the forecast, enjoy :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

htrider wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:49 pm
summittoppler wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:03 pm This week is the start of my summer hols. Have I mentioned I get 5 weeks off :-bd
Looks like you've hit the jackpot weatherwise according to the forecast, enjoy :-bd
cheers, tbh, we usually have weeks family holiday but not happening and then I usually go back on the tools (ex-bricky now teaching but I can't be ar3ed this summer!).
So looking forward to bike time... :-bd

Instagram:

YouTube:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Today's ride lasted 10km

Covered in mud and soaked to the skin. Stupid weather.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A good couple of laps of the Great Orme yesterday.

My main reason for heading out was to cheer the 'dots' who's been riding the Pan Celtic Race from Inverness. I must admit I've been totally inspired by these riders who took on the 840 mile and 1480 mile course.
The first place in the 1480 mile race finished in 8 days, 139 hours moving time.
The first place in the 840 mile race finished in 6 days, 63 hours moving time.
https://www.pancelticrace.com/
Here's some pics from my ride and of some of the riders I caught up with this week...

Image20190719_160232 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190719_153253 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

After 1478 miles and with just 2 to go, looking happy..
Image20190719_164906(0) by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190719_164210 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190716_105818 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190716_105652 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190712_112458 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190711_165456 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190711_163641 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

En route to lunch at Corrour

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Went exploring in the north eastern part of the Dales. Maybe not my best idea :???:

Parked up a bit to the west of Masham and took one of those lanes marked up with red dots. Within fifty metres of setting off and just out of sight there was a twenty metre wide ford. Ah well, not too deep. The track was OK and led out on to the moorland. A "no vehicles" sign indicating the start of the death zone.

Competition time: spot the bridleway! It's marked on the map so it must be there, mustn't it?

The valley has lots of old small scale coal mines or diggings, you can see some of the waste in the above shot.

Onwards and ever upwards until I came to the end of the track. A fine bit of moorland singletrack awaits. What Phil (htrider) would call "nadgery". It took me all the way to the skyline.

This was where things started to go wrong. The OS map has a bridleway heading back north http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=408593 ... &A=Y&Z=120, could I find it? Could I ****! So back down the nice moorland singletrack to pick up the next bridleway to the east. This started out OK ...

but looks can be deceiving, the above was as good as it got and by the first beck crossing any semblance of a track or bridleway or path had long since decided to relocate elsewhere and so began an hour of pushing and carrying the bike through heather up to waist height trying to link up freshly burnt or cut areas.

These boundary stones were just in the middle of nowhere. Unfortunately that meant so was I!

Eventually I reached the skyline and a fence. about 100m beyond this there was a track which my original route intended to join. It gave a great descent down to West Scrafton.

A bit of road then it was a climb back on to the moor.

At the top of this I wandered around a bit, my intended route was this bridleway http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=410263 ... &A=Y&Z=120 but after about 100m of it, this had been cleared by strimmer to get to shooting butts, I had my doubts so turned round and took the track to the south. The drop down to Darnley Beck was great fun, then it got a bit frustrating.

The track was in a deep groove filled with thigh high heather. Under all this was a slot with a firm base and about 8" wide which was great until the slot deepened and you came to a sudden halt with the pedals sat on the ground either side of the slot with both wheels off the ground!

Several times I looked across the valley trying to spot the line of the bridleway I had wanted to take but there was no obvious line through the heather and bracken. Maybe something to check out in spring when there's less growth. Slowly things got better and more "moorland like" until eventually I popped out on to a farm road. Virtually a freewheel down this all the way back to the car.

Four and a bit hours to do 30Km of riding!

Edit: Riding through heather doesn't half clean your chain :-bd
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Looks like your Garmin gave up as well Bob and decided to pass out upside down

Weather is lovely at the moment. No riding for Me but still nice being outside
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

benp1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:23 pm Looks like your Garmin gave up as well Bob and decided to pass out upside down
The zip ties aren't quite tight enough so it has a habit of revolving around the bar :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

whitestone wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:01 pm
benp1 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:23 pm Looks like your Garmin gave up as well Bob and decided to pass out upside down
The zip ties aren't quite tight enough so it has a habit of revolving around the bar :lol:
Put a loat of insulation tape on the bar first (or some old inner tube). The zip ties dig into it and minimize rotation (not eliminate) :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

That's what my other bikes have (bit of inner tube), forgot to put it on this one.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
Always amazes me how many BW's in the dales have grown over into non-existence, despite the huge number of visitors.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

htrider wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:41 pm :-bd
Always amazes me how many BW's in the dales have grown over into non-existence, despite the huge number of visitors.
Some, including the first I tried to follow, just seem to be down to the sweep of a cartographer's pen. The old packhorse/cart routes wore a line into the landscape in the way that my last shot shows (maybe a bit extreme that one) so even if overgrown there is "something" to follow. The NE of the Dales seems more prone to this and that's not including the BWs that stop on the edge of Lord Muck's killing zone.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've always liked trig points, the fact that they set out to build a whole network covering the uk, and then surveyed the locations with such a high level of accuracy is a great feet of engineering which is overlooked, I guess they're not a glamours as a bridge or a flight of locks.

I thought I'd pay tribute to those I have locally so planned a ride to visit all of them in one go, which worked out at 96 miles so I went the long way home at the end to get past the 100 mile mark :smile:

I took a picture of each or, if they are on private land and inaccessible a picture pointing towards them. These were geo-tagged to get them in the correct locations on Strava. Some are not visible and some are lost in woodlands. The location of some really shows how the landscape has changed since the 19th century. There was only one that was missing, and looking on my OS map it's not shown but it was listed on a website where I got the locations from, there is an information pillar so maybe it's been demolished and that build on the base :sad:

The woodland blocking the view of this one looks relatively young but directly behind me when I took the picture is the boundary fence of the houses on the next road which are probably 1950s. They are not all on the top of hills either, some are on gentle rises but they only need to be able to see a minimum two other pillars to be used in surveying the primary grid. It did give also me some motivation to get out and ride :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Really like that idea Sean :-bd . It's fun to pick a group of some sort of "feature" like that then tour round them, and maybe picking up an interesting fact or two at each place. Trigs - so now TrigPacking (C) to go with Gigpacking (C) ! The route mapping looks a bit like a yeti on its side so that's even better...
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd Nice idea
However I'm not going to attempt to bag all the trig points in Scotland.....
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

htrider wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:50 pm :-bd Nice idea
However I'm not going to attempt to bag all the trig points in Scotland.....
You don't have to do them in one go :smile: if I Iived in Scotland I would, it would make a good long term project, I've started and finished my new hobby of visiting trig points in a single day so now I need something else to seek out :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

A long awaited return ride down the beach last night. I think this was first beach ride of 2019 and boy have I missed it!
Image20190722_185958 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190722_185657 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190722_185722 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190722_190554 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I didn't venture out until 18:30, afraid I'd melt. Did a "standard" ride up to Glenmore and Lochan Uaine before returning round Loch Morlich and Loch an Eilean.

Not sure how long it'll take me to get used to this view.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I almost did melt.

Were meant to have a groupstart on the Peaks200 but early morning my car wouldnt start. So I rode it down to top right hand corner of the route which is 19 miles from me. The other 2 lads Paul and I think Steve (but I'm probably wrong as I goy it wrong twice whilst he was overtaking me and head onwards and upwards- literally) both started at Castleton as we'd agreed.

I used as much mtb tracks to get to the route (18 miles of which I'd guesstimate at least 7 mustve been off road). Properly loaded and drinking plenty...

25 miles seemed to take ages to get through and I thought it was the weight of the bike at the time... More likely my muscles were seizing up slowly with all the heat (MH mentioned a charity ride in Vietnam he did which was close to 40 degrees... They had to keep chicking cold water on em to keep em from cramping up and becoming "dead weight").

I departed from 15 miles up the track at 10am. They'd departed at 0730. But it wasnt long befoee one of the lads had caught me up (as mentioned above) and I was at mile 20 possibly. I tried to keep up but couldn't and once I hit the uphill... It was such a long uphill of Pennine Bridleway. The long walk up the bridleway took its toll. By the time I arrived at the top, with the melting-me heat, I'd decided its safer to call it a day...

Found a little track towards the road and came across some water with a good gush so filled up the5th and 6th litres of water. About 3 or 4pm by now. I made ablution (for prayers shortly and) to cool me down and did some rick gardens stuff. It became properly apparent that I was well and properly shafted as I whacked my hand into a massive rock which Id not seen whilst I was juddering down.

Once I reached the road I put 'home' in my Wahoo and decided the 30 miles was a bit long. Eventually I figured I needed to get to the closest railway station that wouldn't cost me an arm&leg. Stalybeidge it was but I didnt bother to listen to the wahoo in the navigation dept and probably (almost) paid for that. Busy A type of road leading to Glossop but even thiugh not too steep I could only walk.

Anyway... arrived safely home and learnt a few lessons. Maybe I'd overpacked.

Before the departure I'd decided that on the actual Peaks200 I'd stop once for a pic. So had to time it carefully. However, 'the shot' came too soon, within the first 10 miles after Dunford Bridge. I'd gone off course by mistake and thus would have been disqualified on the ITT anyway. But it was worth it (here, judge for yourself)... and obviously I had to rethink the 'taking one pic' strategy and ended up taking a few...

RIP

Post by RIP »

Good one Shaf. Some eccentric stuff going on today - also see Ben C's jape round the corner.

My humble contribution: couple of mates invited me for some beers in Tring tonight, two train stops down the line. Duly presented myself at our station, "Tring evening return please, Senior Railcard". Time 17.50, intending to catch the 18.09 arriving Tring ten minutes later. Due to the heat, points failures all over the place ( a classic Reg Perrin excuse of course! But not at Nine Elms in this case). Anyway, train finally arrives at 18.25. Off we go, stop at Cheddington as expected, then waiting outside Tring for a silly amount of time - "waiting for previous train to get out of the way" apparently. Another 10 minute wait and that train was reversing out of the way of ours due to another points failure. Whole railway is falling to pieces. Bike from the station along the cycle track a couple of miles to Tring town. Several beers and huge quantities of rubbish spoken. Not important. Time flies. I'd written down the return trains times on a scrap of paper. Conversation comes to its natural end and mate says "so when's your last train then? 22.17?". I get my piece of paper out and the last time on it is - 22.17!! Astounding. Mate has never seen said bit of paper or has any idea about the timetable, and this rather rattles me. Anyway, not the last train time that night but the last one I expected to get home so stopped my list at that one. For some reason at this point I don't check my timepiece, but we all depart, me for the station. It's now dark and luckily I brought my Joystick at the last minute. I hammer off on the trusty P7 to the station, then down the steps onto the platform. Quick check of the display. The first weird thing is it shows the time as 23.38! So either it’s taken me 1 hour & 21 mins to ride two miles or summat strange is going on. Or indeed it actually is 23.38. Which it is. This rattles me further. It gradually dawns on me that things are, er, somewhat quiet. Look at the display again, 23.45 CANCELLED, 00.20 CANCELLED etc. Okkayyyyy. First reaction is to laugh. I then realise I’m wearing a T-shirt, bike shorts, and sandals and that’s it in the clothing department. I have the Joystick but but no water or anything else. Plainly I’m not getting home tonight unless it’s by bike, so off we go and hope we can remember the route – 13 mile ride home. I can safely say that this is the first time Here I’ve ever mentioned times, distances or any other figure apart from weights – it took me "49 minutes" by road, and precisely TWO cars overtook me on the way despite this being a busy part of the Home Counties. The last time I did this approximate route after intemperate amounts of ale, at midnight, down the canal, I never made it home and just conked out half way home under a tree for the night in my shirtsleeves – a very weird BaM. Anyway, the point being, same as Ben says, night rides are brilliant and the sensations and experiences are very difficult to explain to someone who hasn’t done it. If I never did another daytime ride in my life, and enjoyed all night rides instead, I’d still be happy.

R. 01:00 Tuesday (Wednesday!). YAWN.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Out on the road bike today, trying to find that perfect balance between exertion and wind chill. I was overtaken by Chris Hoy (in his car).

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Somehow, I've never actually ridden north through the Gaick, so I got an early train to Blair Atholl this morning and rode back. Despite forecasts of thunderstorms, it turned out really nice again, so I extended my return trip via Nethy Bridge.

ImageP1050918 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1050922 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1050924 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1050928 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1050931 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageP1050944 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Beautiful is scotland Colin
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:12 pm Beautiful is scotland Colin
That route is part of the Cairngorms Loop (hint, hint)