Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Re: Todays ride

Post by ScotRoutes »

Chummed a mate round an easy 32km loop as he is recovering from back surgery. Had a BBQ burger sitting in the sun outside the Druie then decided it was too nice a day to head home so did another 32km with some hill and stuff.

ImageDSC_0298 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If variety be the spice of life...

Out for a quick (for me) blast on the actual road bike today. I have an event coming up that is 70km on road then 30km MTB, so thought I'd better check the bike is still in working order. Did 45km and, with it being such a lovely day, I took it upon myself to head up to the CM car park. It was a bit fresh and blowy near the top. I'm sure all the folks in their duvets and bunnets wondered where I'd come from.

Hit almost 72kph on the descent.

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A hundred miles from Sheffield to Liverpool via the TPT. Not too challenging in terms of hills, but good to rack up some hours in the saddle. Heat and dust seemed to be the major problems.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

A quick ride to Lauvvik on Høgsfjorden (Norway) over the mountains, with a good mix of gravel roads, empty paved roads and a bit of single track for added variety.

You do not get many days like this in Norway, but when they do come, its magical.

Image20190420_110741 by Norway Calling, on Flickr

Image20190420_114014 by Norway Calling, on Flickr
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:17 pm If variety be the spice of life...

Out for a quick (for me) blast on the actual road bike today. I have an event coming up that is 70km on road then 30km MTB, so thought I'd better check the bike is still in working order. Did 45km and, with it being such a lovely day, I took it upon myself to head up to the CM car park. It was a bit fresh and blowy near the top. I'm sure all the folks in their duvets and bunnets wondered where I'd come from.

Hit almost 72kph on the descent.

Hi Colin,

I take it the event you are talking about is the Aviemore 100? Is it really a 2 bike event? I am coming up to the Cairngorms on holiday on May 10th and wondered about taking part. Trouble is, I only want to bring 1 bike, which may make it difficult to do the ride?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I guess you could take a MTB on the road 70km but they've been clear that it has to be a MTB (not CX) bike for the MTB 30km. What were you planning to bring? If you're the right height I could lend you a MTB.
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I was thinking of bringing the bike with 44cm flared drops and 2.6" 650b plus tyres.

I am not sure if that would meet the "not a CX" or be suitable for a 70km road ride??

I shall probably just find nice places to ride on my own, especially now the entry is £50...

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I don't think they'd let you ride the MTB section with that, sorry. Let me know if you want some route ideas (though you may already have some)
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

OK, thanks...

I may well ask for a few route ideas then a bit nearer the time. Maybe half day sort of length out of Aviemore.

Last time I came, I went from just down from the CM car park, through the Lairig Ghru to Linn of Dee...

Character building!

Si
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

An enforced trip to Lewis this week (Mother-in-law is currently hospitalised) but took the Amazon with me for a wee spin. Did 102km in very pleasant, if windy, conditions.

DSC_0326 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

My parents are staying in a holiday cottage near Aberfoyle this week so it seemed only fair to visit them. Took a scenic route via Glen Eagles, Comrie, Lochearn, NCN 7 to near Callander then a section of the 'Great Trossachs Trail' above Loch Venachar
There is quite a bit of gravel single (and a bit) track round this part of the world, highly entertaining on the straggler.

A quick jar in the Byre in at Brig of Turk preceded the climb over the cycleway to Aberfoyle then some more gravel bashing through the woods to my parents digs. A convivial evening followed then home via Loch Katrine and more twist gravel paths after one of my Dads fry ups.
faustus

Post by faustus »

Went to BB territory at the weekend to visit a friend. Despite filthy conditions on saturday, the trails were fine on sunday. Went for a lovely loop from near Mach up to Glaslyn via the Hengwm valley (the one leading to Nant y Moch), and down the byway to Aberhosan. Only a little bit of bog trotting required and a great ride.
ImageCwm Hengwm by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
ImageNear Pumlumon by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
ImageAfon Hengwm by Matthew Walker, on Flickr
RIP

Post by RIP »

Stu's fave spot on the whole planet, an opinion which would be hard to contradict (I think) :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Went out on Sunday for a little mooch. Done a fair bit of walking with the bike to get to a small summit but the views were worth it. A dusting of snow on the Carneddau will probably be the last of this winter. Despite the hike a bike up, the descent was super fun!!
Image20190428_115116 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190428_141118 by Jeff Price, on Flickr
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 3

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I am the only one not at the WRT?

Here's a few pics from todays epic in north Snowdonia. 8 hours, did someone say fat bikes were sh!te?

ImageIMG_20190504_182220_388 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_112005 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_114250 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_121700 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_122756 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_125939 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_135833 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190504_173811 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Actually yesterdays ride.

Was first time on bike since my charity ride of 10000ft and 230 miles (which i made as far as 185 miles before my knee refused).

Had decided to ride the 40 miles to York (an old commute) and try the return journey too. Made it as far as mile 15 (where Garforth train station is located) when my knee started giving gyp. Thought of the people on the WRT and the other rides taking place this weekend and decided I also needed to "not be soft".

Realised I hadnt drank any water despite the 1.6L in the bottles)and the pace was appropriate to that so decided to see if I could make the rest of it without a water drop or food. Good practice for the month of fasting and I managed to go another 3 hours into my work shift before i took a sip.

Return journey I knew the knee wouldn't allow the full 40 miles (only ever done the full there and back twice i think but feeling particluarly good about such undertakings recently) so got a £5 train to Church Fenton and rode the rest of the 22 miles post work.

Twas all nice and lovely and had a nice celebratory meal upin gettin home :-bd

£5 for an 80 mile round commute... not bad me thinks
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

We usually get a day like this in April/May and I usually go up on the tops of the Carneddau, Snowdonia. So today I duly obliged. Carnedd Llewellyn stands at 3491 feet. As per usual a fair bit of pushing but was all worth it for the views and the ride down. some pics...
Image20190512_121347 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190512_111635 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Snowdon, far left is 69 feet higher
Image20190512_121413 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190512_121735 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Off piste descending
Image20190512_130546 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

And bits of plane wreckage strewn all over the hills... (bottom of pic)
Image20190512_131114 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Pretty special that Jeff.

Earning your moniker
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Only an hour of a two hour ride, but I rode with James from the 2013 HTR as he was passing through.

We spent most of the inagural ride together until he exploded his rear wheel on after Torridon. We haven't physically met in 6 years, kept in contact via d'internets. Met outside my house last night, ate dinner, shared some beer and stories, went to bed far too late [separate to each other :wink: ], the I rode out with him for a bit.

Was good. Really good.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Despite being off work for a week I finally managed to get out for a 50 mile loop around Snowdonia in whats known as the Bethesda loop taking in cycle ways, country lanes, some gravel and the worst bit about 20 mile of 'main' roads. I even saved a fat assed lamb who thought a small gap between a slate fence would be doable...

Image20190601_143622 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190601_142110 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190601_173851 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Instagram:

YouTube:
redefined_cycles

Just a commute to work at York which is 39ish miles. Only real difference than other days was that I was fasting (think I've ridden once before in this month whilst fasting) and expecting to be a bit slow and relaxed as you dont wanna push too hard then risk getting problems and risking breaking the fast.

The PlanB was to grab the train if I thought it was becoming a bit much (my route goes past the stations or close enough). Only needed a thin jersey as weather was good. But still kept the spare thick gloves, waterproof (proper waterproof and not half hearted) jacket, endura skull cap and arm warmers along with tool kit, rolled into the jacket and tied to the undersaddle using Stu Voile straps.

Got to work and realised I'd made a personal best which is quote the achievement as I have done this route at least about 30 times or more over the past few years. Afyer getting to work and showering I was starting to sweat and currently the arms/legs feel slightly uncomfy!

Was it the warm weather and slight tail wind, but there was a head wind for some flat sections which kinda equalled it out. So cannot be that. Maybe it was the fact that the tyres were up to 77psi... but I normally run em at 70 and its not much difference...

Or maybe it was the fact that there was less weight (no water which is normally around 1.4kg and extra food, today I only had the one empty bottle - to filll up and drink from when sunsdown - and 4 massive palastinian fair trade Medjoul dates and 2 Graze bars.... Also there was no extra softshell on me which is another 600g. But then again most of my commutes have been on a lightwieght carbon bike which is at least 1.4kg lighter than this as a frameset. So cant attribute to just that.

In the end I've concluded that it was the repositioning of the cleats as well as following the HT550 for the past qeek or so. Also possibly a bit of all the above and the lovely weather aswell.

Anyway. It was a good ride and thought I'd share... :-bd
redefined_cycles

summittoppler wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:48 pm gap between a slate fence would be doable...

Image[/url]20190601_143622 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Image20190601_142110 by Jeff Price, on Flickr

Well done for saving that lamb there Jeff. Bearboning at its best. I tried to do something similar yesterday on the walk back to car after work.

A little bird (child of a blackbird looking couple) had obviously fallen out its nest. Everytime you went near it, it'd open wide thinking I was gonna five it a worm, or a kiss. Then I managed to pick it up without it sliding out if my hand as it was edging nearer to the road. Popped it into the closest garden and dad came and gave it a kiss (must've been a worm).

Then mum started alarm bellijg and i realiser where the nest was. Mum and dad both closeby and keeping a keen eye on me. Dad not as noisy but mum going wild with calling baby. I picked up baby and popped it into the bushes below the tree it had fallen from. Hopefully mum and dad would nurture and teach it to fly in time that the local cats wouldnt get...

Anyways. Sorry fir getting csrried away, good work jeff
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:36 pm .....away, good work jeff
Cheers, tbh if I left it, it would have lost a couple of pound over a few days and probably squeeze out of it. But I couldn't just leave it there.

Instagram:

YouTube:
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Yesterday I attempted the Loch Ness 360.

I’ve been pretty stressed at work the last week or two, booked a week off and needed a ‘challenge’. I had intended heading out on my new FS but a check in with an old mate and the gauntlet was thrown. I knew that I wasn’t really fit enough (to keep up with my mate & his girlfriend) and it would push me.

Some scrambling about to find suitable gpx’s to remind me of the route (I’ve done Inverness to Drum, albeit in reverse, and the South Loch Ness Trail previously) and found some on Scotroutes old work website.

Supposed early start (I was ready to depart at 7.20) was delayed awaiting riding companions... to be fair they’d be doing the waiting from then on in!

I didn’t really need the gpx until we hit Drum to FA where they did the trick. Managed to do something to my knee on the traverse to FA. Loved the switchback descent in FA, managed to make it flow.

Lunch was at the Moorings (well, they are used to smelly cyclists.. :lol: ). On the start of the SLNT proper I knew I’d be too slow (my knee wasn’t letting me put any real pressure on it and there’s a lot of climbing!) so after lending me a SOL bivvy my companions disappeared up the hill.

ImageFA lunch (obligatory cycling stop)

I managed ok (had to walk when it got too steep for my knee) but time was marching on. At Whitebridge it was 6.30 and decided to bail the Trail and head back in on the road.

My companions took pity on me and came back looking for me and picked me up about 5 miles outside Inverness. Stubbornness almost make me refuse, but manners (and an aching knee!) prevailed.

Being true to form, I managed to spew my wringer before I went to bed (don’t ask me, sometimes after a long hard day, it just ‘happens’).

Adding photos on the iPad is a pain, I’ll edit on the laptop and drop some in...
Last edited by metalheart on Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Give the dirt a little room.