Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

RIP

Re: Todays ride

Post by RIP »

More farinaceous tomfoolery this morning. Meeting some interesting people in dressing gowns and carpet slippers (them not Reg).

I look grumpy cos it's pissing with rain.

Reg 'Confessions Of A Bike Delivery Boy' Perrin.

"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bit of a test run to make surf the new brake on the Amazon was OK.

Took a spin past this..

DSC_1191 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

DSC_1192 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

And past a wee favourite spot.

1060572 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

:-bd
I spied Ben Macdui on my walk in the Ochills on Saturday and noted it was still holding a fair bit of snow
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

ScotRoutes wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:06 pm Took a spin past this..

DSC_1191 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

Nice VR :smile: It's a different design to the one I spotted locally which started me down this road, and it's had a more recent coat of paint. The gold highlights are a nice touch. I've not noticed any with that down south. Some of the E II R have a new sign stuck on the front with the E II R in gold but the hand painted raised letters are much nicer.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
RIP

Post by RIP »

Um, you don't happen to have an interest in canal boat brasses do you Sean? :lol: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:44 am Um, you don't happen to have an interest in canal boat brasses do you Sean? :lol: .
Nope... but I did used to watch Narrow Boat with Alan Herd when it was on the telly, when he restored the narrow boat Dover and also the follow up series Narrow Boat Afloat, Jane loves my choice of TV viewing :lol:
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Seen in Wales recently. I live dangerously by straying across the Shropshire border every so often. In many places you wouldn't even know you've 'gone foreign' ;)

IMG_20200609_141341806_1_1.jpg
(91.74 KiB) Downloaded 869 times
FLV

Post by FLV »

Whats with the post box interest?

Can I play? what am I looking for? Anything unusal, ie. other than an ER box is it?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

FLV wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:15 am Whats with the post box interest?

Can I play? what am I looking for? Anything unusal, ie. other than an ER box is it?
John Climber had some on his Instagram a while back, that's what started me off. We're not fussy, anything counts, but Edward VIII are good to track down as they are the rarest, his 11 month reign didn't give much time for putting them up.

Be warned, post boxes are a gateway drug to searching out other odd bits of history, I'm now also addicted to pillboxes and I feel an itch to try some mile-stones as well :grin:
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Not related to this, but I've just found out that you can add an overlay on the OS maps website which displays benchmarks. There is one shown on the corner of our house! However I think it has been lost - the end wall of the house was rebuilt as part of our renovation in 2007 and nobody knew it was there. There appear to be several quite close so I'm going to try to find them. There is another overlay for milestones.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

mikejd wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:33 pm There is one shown on the corner of our house! However I think it has been lost
I used to use them for surveying for work. On one occasion I was staring at the front wall of a house looking for it when the owner came out to ask why I was looking at his wall. I explained I was looking for the bench mark and what it looked like, he rather sheepishly invited me into the back garden... he liked the look of it but had no idea what it was so he'd removed the brick and used it as a feature on a brick bar b q he'd built :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Sounds like lot of fun. I like browsing around looking at interesting stuff.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh no, another unsuspecting victim caught up in the whirlpool :smile: .

The "Edwards": http://inamidst.com/topic/edwardboxes - only 1% of the total

There's one in Sandown, Sean!

Best concentrations are 3 in Sheffield and 3 in Derby - ideal to start you off FLV :-bd

We're in good company: https://inews.co.uk/inews-lifestyle/peo ... ies-284110
"“But why? I don’t understand why you’re doing it,” asked my exasperated wife "....... "My wife thinks that I am in the midst of a full-blown midlife crisis. Which I may be. But it is certainly a lot cheaper and healthier than buying a Ferrari".

RIP

Post by RIP »

Still got the Extrawheel attached since yesterday's bread deliveries, so decided to empty the recycling cupboard (metal, batteries, bulbs, etc) into the panniers and take it to the dump 1 mile outside town. Arrived; quite a queue of motors. Security lady wanders up and asks if she can help. Just dumping some stuff please. Got a booking code? Er, ah, sorry didn't know I needed one, puppy dog eyes, flirty flirty. Not going well until lady catches sight of Extrawheel and gets really interested, culminating in "oh go on then, you've only got a bike". Waved past all the motors. Blokes inside dump equally fascinated at how much recycling I've rolled up with.

Bike wins again :-bd .

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

RIP wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:35 pm There's one in Sandown, Sean!
And one in Shanklin, in fact I'm sure I've put pictures up on here somewhere. I would guess the two on the Island are the shortest distance you could ride between any 2 in the UK?

Edit, the pictures might only be on my instagram, I'll dig them out later.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Off planting beer again.

One for those hankering after old standards

DSC_1200 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

Looks cute

DSC_1205 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode

Comes with a warning though
DSC_1206 by Colin Cadden - Flickr2BBcode
RIP

Post by RIP »

What a fantastic frame! I'm sure someone round here was looking for a lockdown project.....

sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Here are the pictures of the E VIII R boxes from a previous ride

This is on the outskirts of Shanklin, the important bit faces the hedge so I couldn't get a full length pic, so here's the money shot :wink:

Then, just under 2 ,miles away* in Sandown there's another :grin:

* Nowhere is very far from anywhere on the Island :lol:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

A ride of two halves.
Up to Stanage Pole as quick as I could, before a very gentle bimble back via some very restorative forest bathing.

Also, I'm blaming Sean for this diversion:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Landslide wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:31 am forest bathing.
Photo please :grin: .

RIP

Post by RIP »

Right. I think I've ticked off enough quarries now. Got a bit bored with postboxes too. Time to move on. Rolling stone gathers no moss and all that. Hmm..... time to move on. "Time"........ hmmm..... Excellent, theme sorted! For no reason whatsoever today will be "outdoors timepieces". I'm going to follow my "Quarries Route #2" and see what we can see. In fact I was amazed how many I saw, only deviating a few yards from the route occasionally.

Down the road, across the park, and we come to All Saints church with its 190' spire with clock. Church on this site for around 1000 years. Originally in Lincoln diocese, the prebendary tasked with looking after it was Theobald de Busar, hence Leighton de Busar then Leighton Buzzard, to distinguish it from Leighton Bromswold in the same diocese….

Into the town and there’s a clock on the old firestation, now a Pizza Express…

Through the pedestrian precinct thingy and we have a clock stuck on a wall for no apparent reason, even if it is one hour slow…

Along the riverside walk, up the hill, through the spinney to Heath & Reach village. A curious name formed when two separate hamlets called Heath (on the hill) and Reach (at the bottom of the hill) joined up. Heath has a nice little clock tower, which also has the village water pump inside it as well for extra interest. Anyone fancy starting a village pumps theme? Time on it must be wrong 'cos there's no way I've got 3 miles here up hill in 6 minutes....

Round the quarries (I can’t give ‘em up that easily), through the country park, past the wooden stag sculpture, over the river, along the canal towpath to the railway station… yes you can just see the clock on it...

Standing on Linslade tunnel with the super-sharply curved tracks, Chilterns in the background… (random non-clock photo, although that could be the 10.50 Euston-Glasgow, you can set your watch by it :smile: )....

Across the park next to the station we have another church, St Barnabas, with its clock and community garden in front of it… ooh, nice gargoyles (great word that) too....

An extra one to give Mr Climber a run for his arty-farty money :wink: ....

Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 8 times in total.

RIP

Post by RIP »

Ok, so far so easy. I think we need to make the quiz a little harder though, so the following ones were also taken on the route, all of ‘em timepieces in their own way……

Worked it out? Well…. “A children's amusement in which the number of puffs needed to blow the filamentous achenes from a dandelion is supposed to tell the time.”. I am indeed a big kid so let's give it a go. Oh. 23 minutes past 6. Must have chosen a duff dandelion.

And…..

Admittedly quarry-related but….

On one of our neighbour’s houses…..

This one really appeals to me, on the side of All Saints church, took me a couple of minutes to realise :wink: …..

And this is my favourite one. Possibly the ultimate (in more ways than one) outdoor timepiece. I’d ridden past it and I must have subliminally registered it because I then turned back to go and see it properly. Quite chuffed with it if I do say so myself. Sussed it? :wink: …..

Amazing what a ride can turn into. And a couple of those photos include a Thing which will form the basis of my next theme….

‘Reg’
Last edited by RIP on Sat Jun 13, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Coronavirus has really hit Lords hard, they had to sell up and move there.

I’m just back from another 50km around South Staffs, Shropshire and Worcestershire. Really bonked with about 10k to go. Broke my bottle cage and felt crappy with my bp. Still, nabbed a few more squares taking me to 9x9

(Kinda looks like a rat/hippo hybrid)

Shonky

Clees and Coos
RIP

Post by RIP »

What on earth is that bridge all about?! Is it near the Crooked House boozer at Himley or something?! Or victim of a South Staffs earthquake?

UnderTheRadars

Post by UnderTheRadars »

Well funny you should mention the crooked house and a south staffs earthquake, if you didn’t know (though maybe you do considering you’ve mentioned it?) the 2002 Dudley earthquake had its epicentre quite near the crooked house

https://www.keele.ac.uk/geophysics/appl ... arthquake/

The shonkiness of the bridge is actually due to another natural disaster, it’s about 20m away from the bank of the river Severn, the floods back in February will have shifted it

Hmm another ‘collection’ idea......earthquake epicentres :lol: