Todays ride

Share your rides with us.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richpips

Re: Todays ride

Post by Richpips »

More pushing than riding today. Deep soggy snow.

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Mainly a road ride today...

...but mostly on roads with 6" of nicely compacted snow. Did a short way down burbage valley but too soft to ride so backtracked. Passed by a few 4x4s and also a Nissan micra :roll:
HUX

Post by HUX »

25 fat mudfest miles today. No snow :cry:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Pre work CX puncture this morning
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

JohnClimber wrote:Image

Pre work CX puncture this morning
Don't believe you, there's too much daylight in that photo to be pre-work :geek:
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

It was an admin day so I could start when I wanted :ugeek:

taken about 9.45 btw :oops:
FLV

Post by FLV »

Richpips wrote:More pushing than riding today. Deep soggy snow.

I was here on friday too. Might have been your tracks I saw. Hard work going down!

Today was just a trip up for the car. Scum bags had boshed the window and stolen my CD's and an ancient sat nav too.
Also, the toe rags left my interior light on and flattened my battery. Which made getting it un stuck harder work.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

FLV wrote: Today was just a trip up for the car. Scum bags had boshed the window and stolen my CD's and an ancient sat nav too.
Also, the toe rags left my interior light on and flattened my battery. Which made getting it un stuck harder work.
You're kidding! Effort vs reward on that one is quite high for a few CD's and a sat nav :roll: Would have probably got more nicking your battery or the fuel, or wheels etc.... Didn't think it was that rough round the Peaks :|
FLV

Post by FLV »

There was about 7 cars abandoned up there. All the same. Drivers window smashed. Glove box emptied.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

49 miles of type 2 fun today
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

20 miles last night to visit folks...stayed overnight...23 'n a bit miles back...explored a little section of the old railway route that runs along Wenlock Edge. Ugly headwind on the return leg. I think it might be beer o'clock after that little affair.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

went out this arvo for a local ride on the fatty. it was bloody minging, slush-mud-clay-some horrid orange crap that sticks to everything not nice. Had fun though all the same. Started over the lickeys then went over the wasely hills back to the lickeys n home did around 15miles.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Rattled my way round the Marin trail on the fat bike. Was good to get out especially with a 'new' riding crowd.
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
FLV

Post by FLV »

couldnt be arsed wrestling the snow / slush so stuck to the tarmac. Wasnt that bad, loads of climbing.
durhambiker

Post by durhambiker »

Did a local loop today that's usually fairly tame. Ended up trying not to fall off with several long stretches of bumpy ice.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Evening ride, 15km testing the new Genesis Latitude on my local singletrack(ish). No snow whatsoever this way but my laces froze up!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Not exactly today's ride, but on Saturday I departed from Dyfi Junction at 6:43am with the aim of riding the Trans Cambrian Way. With the recent snow fall, I was aware this might be a tricky route to execute, not least being on a fat bike laden with gear (probably more than 50 lb all up, but I didn't weigh it).

It was dark and raining when I left the station platform. The first part is usually straight forward, but with harvesting in the first section of forest it was slow going and muddy. Eventually though things improved and I arrived at the bottom of Foel Fadian:

20 minutes of pushing later, I arrived at the top, having reached the snow line:

The next section along Glyndwr's Way was hard going, rideable on the flat (provided I kept off any drifted snow) and downhill, but most of the climbs were a push.

Hafren was covered in snow too, but most of that was rideable. Crossed the A44 in just under 5 hours, which was an average of 10.1km/h. Up into the forest towards Nant Rhys and I hit more snow. This was mostly rideable, but not without a lot of effort.

Descending back down to Blaen Nant I came out of the snow, but to compensate I had to endure another long push through a harvesting site at Hafod. Back up into the hills above Ffair Rhos and I was back in the snow again. This section was totally unrideable, thanks to deep ruts from motorbikes that had filled with snow. I was glad to get out the other side where the snow was rideable, albeit quite soft.

Around Claerwen there was a stiff wind and a lot of snow and hail in the air, and the temperature had dropped to -2, but with wind chill felt a good deal less than that. I made it to Claerwen dam in 10 hours 15 mins, which was about 15 mins behind my schedule, so I was pretty pleased with that considering the conditions. Sticking to the TCW route, I rode on the byway on the opposite side of the valley to the road. Darkness descended on this section, just to make it more interesting. Over Gro Hil was a push - too steep and snowy to really ride, but once I got on the top I did enjoy a few hundred yards of real deep snow to the gate at the top of Puke Hill.

Got into Rhayader around 7pm, 12.5 hours on from the start. The grand plan was to go on to Knighton, but that would have entailed another 5 hours of riding (and a 1:00-2:00am finish), and most likely a lengthy push over Beacon Lodge. I was content I'd had a good outing and didn't feel the need to go any further. I didn't really want to destroy myself at the expense of my riding plans for the next two weeks, and ultimately, for Rovaniemi. Legs were good (and were still good on Sunday morning), bike set up was good, so very happy overall.

https://www.strava.com/activities/248718067
Mart

Post by Mart »

FLV wrote:There was about 7 cars abandoned up there. All the same. Drivers window smashed. Glove box emptied.
Not a new phenomina ....On my Stag weekend we left the cars at the Fox House after climbing before heading into Sheffield. Most of the cars that we left there got done. Those were the days when the ravers built a mahoosive bonfire (4-5m in diameter) in the back field next to the car park causing all sorts of mayhem
2924 miles per Gallon
gairym

Post by gairym »

Been playing around with some new video editing software (Adobe 'Premiere Elements' if you're interested).

Here is my first effort (from a ride last Thursday):

http://vimeo.com/118589905

Despite the raw footage being limited and of dubious quality I'm quite pleased with the results.
Ian

Post by Ian »

That was great Gairy :-bd
I have Adobe Premiere on my work laptop, but have never been compelled to use it. Seems capable stuff that iMovie isn't...
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Why do work provide you with premiere!

I used premiere elements back in 2005, at the time I thought it was better than full blown premiere for a general video editor, bit like 80/20 rule I.e. you could get 80% of a premiere edited video for 20% of the effort.

That was a long time ago though!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Zippy wrote:Why do work provide you with premiere!
It was bundled on the Dell I bought :geek:
Maybe one day I will make a film of trees growing, and then I can put Premiere to use :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Today just rode to new job and back via various longest rounds. Very icy trails!
gairym

Post by gairym »

Ian wrote:That was great Gairy :-bd
I have Adobe Premiere on my work laptop, but have never been compelled to use it. Seems capable stuff that iMovie isn't...
Thanks Ian, I feel like it's going to allow me to develop things further whereas I'd pretty much done what i could with Windows Movie Maker (though it's free and more than adequate so I'm not knocking it!).

I'm using the stripped down version of Premiere (Elements) as I find the full version a bit daunting in its complexity (though you can do literally anything with it).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Lovely nightride of fullmoonness. I rode along the Ridgeway to Hackpen hill for some views and flapjack, then back home via a sustrans railway track path and a skirt around a lake.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer